• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Markus Stockhausen CC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetstud
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:35 pm    Post subject: Markus Stockhausen CC Reply with quote

Just wondering who has seen the Basic Carmine Caruso the Markus Stockhausen has put together? I know that is not the whole program but just wonder your thoughts on it vs the whole shebang
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it daily, but I understand from some of the Caruso guys here that you need to count with your feet and read the introductory material closely and follow it religiously.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Markus Stockhausen CC Reply with quote

Trumpetstud wrote:
Just wondering who has seen the Basic Carmine Caruso the Markus Stockhausen has put together? I know that is not the whole program but just wonder your thoughts on it vs the whole shebang

There’s some interesting dissertation work on how/whether ‘the whole shebang’ was a set course versus how individual students received varying special prescriptions for their exercises. The late Laurie Frink’s FLEXUS book makes a strong argument for the exercises as we’ve inherited them serving as a jumping off point for conditioning the modern improviser. I’ve found the Flexus book itself to be a useful jumping off point for my extended Caruso practice, in fact.

Happy practicing, while tapping your feet, breathing through your nose, and playing with abandon!
-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Picc;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Stockhausen's basic Caruso exercises include the Six Notes, Seconds, Harmonic Series, Pedals, and Chromatic Pedals Extended III. If you were practicing from Musical Calisthenics for Brass (MCFB) you'd likely do at least four of those "foundational" exercises.

The things you'll miss out on if you don't work from MCFB include other intervals, soft-loud-soft/loud-soft-loud, and developed scale. I personally find the larger intervals and the SLS/LSL exercises to be really useful.

As another respondent pointed out, Flexus is a philosophical continuation of MCFB, offering good insights into how Caruso's approach could be applied in other settings. I'll also mention Dominic Derasse's Musical Calisthenics for Brass - A Sequel, which expands on MCFB exercises (e.g., bigger intervals) and introduces new exercises (e.g., flexibilities).
craigmac71

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working Through all the MCFB exercises in the 15 lessons is the only real way to understand how each exercise effects each person individually…
Applying the 4 rules and 5 steps to each then allows you to pick and choose certain exercises along your journey to self diagnose and “fix”
My daily always starts with six notes, seconds and Harmonics then into the exercises that I need to work on in my playing at that time …
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: