• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Solo French music list?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:35 pm    Post subject: Solo French music list? Reply with quote

Could someone point me towards a list of intermediate 20th C. solo trumpet music?

I don't know if I'm entering the wrong wording or what, but I've spent A LOT of time on this and keep coming up with either trumpet solo-ists or French language stuff. But no list of French solo (and pno. accomp.) music. Exhasperating. Should be simple. Anyone?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There’s a list starting around p. 108. It’s divided between trumpet and cornet. https://www.academia.edu/11428819/Morceaux_de_Concours_pour_la_Trompette_et_Cornet_Contest_Pieces_of_the_Paris_Conservatory_1835_1999
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseLindE4 wrote:
There’s a list starting around p. 108. It’s divided between trumpet and cornet. https://www.academia.edu/11428819/Morceaux_de_Concours_pour_la_Trompette_et_Cornet_Contest_Pieces_of_the_Paris_Conservatory_1835_1999

Thank you so much. Since it's a Conservatory - level list, I assume it is not at the intermediate level, which I am looking for.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:22 pm    Post subject: Your Google-Fu must be strong, and creative. Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
JoseLindE4 wrote:

Thank you so much. Since it's a Conservatory - level list, I assume it is not at the intermediate level, which I am looking for.

Just in case you can't find a list compiled by a known teacher and posted somewhere on the 'net, I can suggest the following.

Go to the websites for publishers like Leduc, Billaudot, and Salabert. Search for music for "trompette et piano". See if they have a rating system. That last part I can't guarantee. The European version of Musicroom.com may have whatever they carry from those publishers rated by difficulty.

(By "French" some folks will also include francophone Belgians, like Charlier.)

I read someway through the doc JoseLindE4 linked to, and I noticed that the solos were rated. Maybe those with a difficulty level of 3 or lower are intermediate?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Your Google-Fu must be strong, and creative. Reply with quote

Didymus wrote:

I read someway through the doc JoseLindE4 linked to, and I noticed that the solos were rated. Maybe those with a difficulty level of 3 or lower are intermediate?

That's funny. I didn't see any graded solos.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those solos vary wildly in difficulty I worked on several in late middle school/early high school. I’ve taught them to similarly aged students as well. Those solos are very accessible. Other solos would be a lot of work even for a strong, professional-level player.
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Your Google-Fu must be strong, and creative. Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Didymus wrote:

That's funny. I didn't see any graded solos.

The list itself doesn't include difficulty ratings or grades.

The descriptions of each solo further up in the document do contain difficulty ratings. But what each level or number means isn't clear to me. For that, I may have to read the entire doc. The ratings may not be much help for what you want to do.

In any case, I hope you can find what you're looking for, or at least find the information to put together a list of your own.

Edit/addition: I looked through the doc, and the descriptions of each solo on the list include difficulty ratings. The document does include a short sentence about the range of the ratings on p.38.

Degree of difficulty will be based upon the European classification system: 1,2,3 --easy; 4,5,6 -- moderately difficult; 7,8,9 -- difficult to very difficult.

For example, Büsser's Fantasy on Scottish Themes is rated as a three. Desenclos's Incantation, Thrène, et Danse is rated as a seven.

Last edited by Didymus on Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. In exasperation, I contacted John Irish, Prof, at San Angelo State. Don't know if he can help but if he can, I'll post the results.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: