• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Matt Brockman??? what's the scoop

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:02 am    Post subject: Matt Brockman??? what's the scoop Reply with quote

I am getting bombarded on FB with this guys ads. Does anybody have experience with his methods? Curious what exactly he is trying to sell and how much he is charging.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always block Facebook ads. I can't comment on him or his methods or results, but up where I live, there are many channels I could go to through guys with a lot of credibility to find a teacher instead of jumping at some guy who makes a lot of vids.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a reddit post on him. I really like his videos and he's clearly a super talented player. I signed up to get what I thought was a free book but then started getting daily emails asking me to buy stuff.
Blancolate
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In his review of this interview with Jim Pandolfi he talks often of his own philosophy of trumpet playing. This is actually an awesome interview ......there is lots of great information shared by this great player.

https://youtu.be/2y6NqnjqEx0
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Croquethed wrote:
You can always block Facebook ads.

HOW???

I keep trying yet they still keep popping up. What's your secret, Sir, please!!

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gad. I find his constant interruptions really annoying. Pandolfi can speak for himself and I'm not an idiot. I know what I just heard.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Tim, I don't know for sure that it works on this site, but I use AdGuard and have nevee had an ad here.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Gad. I find his constant interruptions really annoying. Pandolfi can speak for himself and I'm not an idiot. I know what I just heard.

Have you watched Pandolfi's interview on the Monster Oils site? WOWZAA!!

I've been incorporating nose breathing ever since and my playing has noticeably improved.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
There was a reddit post on him. I really like his videos and he's clearly a super talented player. I signed up to get what I thought was a free book but then started getting daily emails asking me to buy stuff.

I did that too, some time ago. Unsubscribed for the same reason.

kehaulani wrote:

It's strangely odd that both his on screen demeanor and his marketing (see above) seemed to align.

Probably a quite good player, but I'm moving along.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
deanoaks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very much not a fan of his style and general presentation at all, but then again I don't think that I'm his demographic at all. His stuff 'still' bombards my YouTube and Facebook no matter how many times I try to block his stuff.

I'm always trying to find new pedagogical ideas and like going to courses, so I signed up for his free webinars and while none of his ideas were explicitly wrong, it was very clear, to me at least, that all he's doing is regurgitating ideas that he's heard without adding his own spin or ideas to it. Or, in other words, just trying to profit off the ideas of his teachers, which I guess isn't inherently wrong but just feels kind of scummy to me. I was not a fan of receiving 1-2 emails a day from him trying to sell me his content which I think were just his "method book" and lessons.

The crux of my issue with his presentation are his gimmicky videos where he's constantly mispronouncing names and institutions or heavily auto-tuning his performance to the point of effectively just being a midi file. In certainly instances, it's apparently that he's splicing takes together at the 16th note but trying to pass it off as legitimate. He was called out about that on reddit and eventually just stopped using the platform altogether. Which, again, nothing inherently horrible, but it just feels like a scummy business tactic to rake in money from unsuspecting comeback players or high schoolers.

That's my $0.02 at least.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy is applying viral marketing to brass playing. These tactics (reaction videos, top 10 lists, clickbait thumbnails, sponsored ads, etc.) are designed to get people to click on his content and game the algorithms one Facebook and YouTube to maximize his audience reach. Most of these tactics target a younger and more impressionable audience, who are more likely to respond to sensationalized video titles and thumbnails.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always go to his page and block him.

BC73

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:45 am    Post subject: Jim Pandolfi interview Reply with quote

I'm a newbie and haven't figured out how to use the "quote" feature yet. So I'll just say, skip the Brockman version of the Pandolfi interview and go straight to Monster Oil's site. One of the most informative and entertaining trumpeter interviews I've seen. I especially liked a comment near the end where he said the three trumpet players he would most like to sound like are Maurice Andre, Maynard...and most importantly, Bill Chase.

Last edited by BC73 on Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#BC73 - I don't know why your "quote" function doesn't work. All you have to do is click on it. Are you logged in?

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
BC73

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kehaulani"]#BC73 - I don't know why your "quote" function doesn't work. All you have to do is click on it. Are you logged in?[/quote]

I didn't say it didn't work...I just don't know how it works. Here I apparently got a quote but I don't know how to get the white box thing. I have to be logged in to reply. Maybe someone can 'splain it to me step by step.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a criticism. Just wondering. If it works, what difference does it make "how"?

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he means "how to make it work". What are the exact steps to accomplish what he meant to convey.
Quote:
#BC73 - I don't know why your "quote" function doesn't work. All you have to do is click on it. Are you logged in?

For example, click reply, then hit "quote" icon, and the system quotes the entire message he is replying to.

If you want to quote something from a previous message, hit reply to the last message in the thread, write whatever you want to type, click quote icon, then scroll to the text in one of the previous messages, copy the text from the previous message, paste the text into your message, then click quote icon again. You can repeat that multiple times if you are quoting different things from previous messages.

Quote:
This is not a criticism. Just wondering. If it works, what difference dose it make "how"?

BC73

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I do what this says, this is what I get. The only reply button I see is at the bottom or top of the thread...and it says "post reply"...I hit that and get a big white box...I hit quote and get the word quote in the big white box. The only way I get the entire message as a quote is if I hit the quote button at the top of a particular post. So very not intuitive. I'm either really stupid, the rest of you are geniuses or I'm somehow not seeing what the rest of you see.

[quote]For example, click reply, then hit "quote" icon, and the system quotes the entire message he is replying to.[/quote]
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BC73 wrote:
If I do what this says, this is what I get. The only reply button I see is at the bottom or top of the thread...and it says "post reply"...I hit that and get a big white box...I hit quote and get the word quote in the big white box. The only way I get the entire message as a quote is if I hit the quote button at the top of a particular post. So very not intuitive. I'm either really stupid, the rest of you are geniuses or I'm somehow not seeing what the rest of you see.

Quote:
For example, click reply, then hit "quote" icon, and the system quotes the entire message he is replying to.

Sorry, my write up was not correct. When reading a thread and you get to the last message in that thread, there should be a quote icon along the top line of that message. It is in the far right area of the dialogue box. If you click that quote button, then a reply starts.

Agree fully that it is not intuitive, like figuring out how to post images and links.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BC73 wrote:

I didn't say it didn't work...I just don't know how it works. Here I apparently got a quote but I don't know how to get the white box thing. I have to be logged in to reply. Maybe someone can 'splain it to me step by step.

-------------------
Down at the bottom of the page you should see the 'Options' section -
if 'Disable BBCode in this post' is checked, that prevents the 'white box' from appearing (at least for me).
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: