• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen Long-Bell Soprano Cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:36 am    Post subject: Getzen Long-Bell Soprano Cornet Reply with quote

A long-bell variant of the Getzen Eb soprano cornet has been mentioned a few times here on the TH.

I ran across this auction on Reverb. Is this an example of the occasionally-mentioned, rarely encountered instrument? And if it is, what was the model number Getzen used for it?
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly looks like the one I played last Wednesday, also occasionally been keeping it amongst my other horns. In my opinion it´s a great horn, big round fat sound, resistance to my taste. Unlike the other soprano of the band, a Schilke, rather small. But the present soprano player (I was subbing) favors the latter.
The valves are excellent, as always with Getzen horns and the build/state impeccable, notwithstanding the horn I played is about 45 years old.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
sd4f
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been quite a while ago, and I played on a long getzen soprano in the brass band I played with. It seemed fairly decent. I don't think my example had a trigger for the first valve. Generally I'd say that's a big plus as the first valve intonation usually needs a bit of help, more often than the third valve, as in, soprano plays high, and third valve doesn't see a lot use, nor have as much intonation problems when playing in the upper register.

I tend to find that it just inherent with brass instruments that high F♮ and A♮ tend to be troublesome, so a trigger or saddle, is probably more useful than the third valve adjustment.

Price is, in my honest opinion, very high though. I personally would really weigh up spending some more and getting something new. The Yamaha Neo soprano cornet is within spitting distance in terms of price and generally well received. I would also try to look at the Besson 924G soprano. I played on a Courtois 107R, which I can recommend, as it's a fairly capable, well made and nice sounding sop. It's my understanding that the besson is the same instrument design that has been carried over, so worth taking a look at.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
It certainly looks like the one I played last Wednesday, also occasionally been keeping it amongst my other horns. In my opinion it´s a great horn, big round fat sound, resistance to my taste. Unlike the other soprano of the band, a Schilke, rather small. But the present soprano player (I was subbing) favors the latter.
The valves are excellent, as always with Getzen horns and the build/state impeccable, notwithstanding the horn I played is about 45 years old.

Update: I agree with sd4f - the price not only high it is ridiculously high. If the horn is old. A brand new one should be expensive; in Sweden a cornet from the 1980s should be available at just about 1000 USD even if in mint condition. As far as I know.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:41 pm    Post subject: Price Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies confirming the kill, so to speak.

For the record, I'm not seeking to buy a soprano cornet, and I certainly wouldn't drop $1900+ on an '80s-era soprano cornet when the same amount of money can potentially buy a more recently manufactured and potentially fitter used instrument. I cannot guess why the seller wants so much for that instrument, unless it's a sought-after model, or a collectible.

(Incidentally, I have not heard good things about the Getzen Eterna short-belled soprano cornets, or model 892es-t.)

Speaking of models, does anybody know what model # Getzen used for its long-belled soprano cornets?

Returning to the topic of prices, if one looks hard enough and is patient enough, they can find Getzen 940s piccolo trumpets for $1800 and sometimes even less. The auction has been up on reverb.com for a while. Maybe I cannot guess why the seller wants so much for it, but I can guess why no one has outright bought it at that price.
sd4f
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Price Reply with quote

Didymus wrote:
Returning to the topic of prices, if one looks hard enough and is patient enough, they can find Getzen 940s piccolo trumpets for $1800 and sometimes even less. The auction has been up on reverb.com for a while. Maybe I cannot guess why the seller wants so much for it, but I can guess why no one has outright bought it at that price.

There aren't a whole lot of options on reverb, I checked to see what else was available, and it really is slim pickings.

Otherwise, sops really only exist in brass bands as there's so little dedicated repertoire for them outside brass bands, very little of which anyone actually wants to play, and practically nothing which can't be played on something else. It really is a specialty instrument, and also, I would assume the seller is again, banking on it that someone just has to have one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: