• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hello from Toronto

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject: Hello from Toronto Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

It's been years since I've posted on here. I must say that I'm pleased to see Reinhardt's teachings still alive and well, and it's quite the trip down memory lane reading some of these old posts! I believe my first post on TH was in 2002--crazy how time flies.

My dad used to study with Reinhardt in the 70s after his university trumpet teacher turned him into a IIIB from a IVA. Like myself, he was one of those guys that was upstream or nothing, and the placement had to be just right--for him it was about 70% lower/30% upper. After a week or so of lessons, Doc moved his mouthpiece down and he had all his range again in an instant.

I took lessons with Dave Sheetz, and, briefly, Scott Holbert, back in the early 2000s. Now living in Toronto and have started playing again recently. If there are any Reinhardt teachers in the GTA or simply Reinhardt-minded players, I would love to take a lesson or simply grab a coffee/beer sometime.

On another note, I've found a couple of videos on YouTube of Louis Dowdeswell talking Reinhardt (I know, this is probably old news on here). Great to see such a caliber of player (and of the younger generation) espousing Doc's teachings. Bodes well for the future.

Cheers everyone, and kudos to Rich and others for keeping this forum alive.

Brendan
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Brendan.

Have you met a trombonist up there named Paul Tarussov? He's a great player and teacher who studied with Doug Elliott. He'd be a good guy to hook up with.

Dave
Paul T.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, Dave!

I haven't been to this forum in a long time - for good reasons, since I got some good advice here, I've been busy playing.

Brendan, feel free to reach out to me if you'd like to get in touch. Always happy to meet a fellow brass player!
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, Dave. Funny enough, I have seen Paul perform before (I clearly remember it being fantastic), but have never met him. Will connect.
Paul T.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very kind of you to say! Thanks for the kind words.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: