• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Playing with a flipper bridge?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnthonyinVT

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:34 am    Post subject: Playing with a flipper bridge? Reply with quote

Hi all. I'm wondering if anyone has experience playing with a flipper, (temporary removable bridge)?
In the mid 70's I was playing regularly, studying in NYC with Roy Stevens, looking forward to a potential future in music. Unfortunately some major dental issues stemming from a couple of mishaps necessitated braces, shifting teeth, partial bridge, caps. I made the decission at that time to
re-evaluate my future as a trumpet player, dropped out of music school and enrolled in our State university for science education.
Fast forward 45 years and I pulled my Meha out of mothballs and started practicing again. I've been at it three years, 2+ hrs a day and having fun. My playing is limited to our church, but I was/am looking forward to playing with the local town band. I've been applying some of what I learned with Roy Stevens and some things that intuitively seem right.
On Christmas Eve the porcelain broke off one my front teeth on this"massive," my dental hygienist wife's term, bridge. The surgeon cut out the front three teeth and put in two implants. I am wearing a temporary flipper, consisting of two front teeth and one canine. It will be another 10 months or so before a three peace bridge will be attached to the implants. I have begun practicing with the three tooth partial and while my tone is ok, my range is down to G above the staff. I've only had two practice sessions, but to me it sounds like "shite"! Even tonguing against this plate on the roof of my mouth makes playing difficult.
I am wondering if anyone out there has had a similar experience, and how you handled it. I am fairly persistant and am inclined to keep at it, but I will admit that it is frustrating at this point. I think that once the new teeth are attached to the implants, I will be up and playing again, but at my age, I don't want to put the horn down again with the intention of picking it up again in 10 months.
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost bottom front teeth to an infection that set in after a bypass. My first partial replaced the two teeth I first lost. Two more had to go a year later, but the new partial is much better for playing. I have wound up changing mouthpieces. 5c and 7c work very well. The 3c doesn't seem to do well now. The 1c is so-so and the Stork 2c is pretty good. It has been interesting. I now breathe more deeply to play. Just keep at it and go for the small victories that will come soon
AnthonyinVT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:54 am    Post subject: Partial Reply with quote

Thanks David. Do you still play with the partial or has it been replaced with a permanent implant? While I can get a decent tone, articulation is off as I have this plate which holds the teeth. pressed against the roof of my mouth. I was playing a Bach 6C but have tried a Yamaha 14b4, feels a little big, 11c4 a little better but an 11b4 gives me an extra note or two, so I am working on using that and backing off on pressure. I'll see how it works out. I am reluctant to put the horn away. The last time I did because of major dental work, I didn't pick it up again for 45 years. In ten months the new teeth will be attached to the implant and I'm hoping it will all come back together.
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the partial. Some years ago a dentist advised me against any implants because of some health conditions I must consider.
AnthonyinVT

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your input. The stitches came out yesterday and the flipper was adjusted. Today was my first real practice session. Pretty discouraging, but I will keep at it. I can only improve from here.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, when I had a top front tooth extracted I was able to play using an Invisalign. Not sure if that would work with 3 teeth missing. With the Invisalign I could play well enough to do gigs but I wasn't nearly 100%. Between the extraction, orthodonture and the final implant I wasn't all back together for 2 years. It's taken some time and effort but I'm about back to where I used to be.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
AnthonyinVT

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks cheiden! That's what I'm thinking. Two years. I won't get the new teeth attached to the implants until next January and I don't want to put my horn down until then, so I will do the best I can with what I have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: