• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Weird hybrid cornet/FH mouthpiece

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:49 pm    Post subject: Weird hybrid cornet/FH mouthpiece Reply with quote

Hello all,
Anybody heard of a cornet shanked french horn cup mouthpiece??? Only marking is Frank Holton Elkhorn Wis. I thought it might be a alto/tenor horn piece, but again the shank is definitely cornet. Flat rim and the cup is wide. Almost 3/4 inch inner diameter and deep like a horn mouthpiece. The only thing I can think of, is it was custom made for a french horn player messing around with cornets.
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you have is likely a Holton cornet mouthpiece from the early 1900's. At that time cornet mouthpieces were much deeper and had V shaped cups, much like modern french horn mouthpieces. They also had very flat rims that are sometimes referred to as cookie cutter rims.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject: weird Holton Reply with quote

Hello,
I thought of that, except the mouthpiece looks new and is in gold plate. Nothing on it looks old. And, I have never seen an old Cookie cutter rim mp that is this deep and wide. It makes a cornet sound fluffy and very ultra flugelish. Really, unplayable, sound wise, in any cornet setting. Compared to any FH piece I have ever seen, this thing is huge.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Frank Holton" stamping strongly suggests that it's not a new mouthpiece, rather a vintage mellophone mouthpiece.

As in a mellophone that looks like the first instrument shown here:

https://www.public.asu.edu/~jqerics/mellophones.html

As the article states: "It is built to use a mouthpiece sized between that of a trumpet and trombone with a cornet shank."
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:45 pm    Post subject: Weird mouthpiece Reply with quote

Hello J.
I knew I could find an answer here. J is right. I have an old mellophone sitting in front of myhearth, and it has a cornet receiver. So it looks though as I have a nice gold plated mellophone mouthpiece. Thank you all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: