• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Thoughts on Reeves JH and HornTrader 3CS-28?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on Reeves JH and HornTrader 3CS-28? Reply with quote

As stated in subject line, has anyone played and compared these two?

I have a Reeves Jerry Hey (JH) in the stock/fixed shank configuration, so I have a sense of how that plays. While it has more 'front' to it (bright isn't exactly the right word) than my 3c, it's pretty versatile for me.

If anyone has compared the Reeves vs the HT do the sound and support differ much? Love the sound of the JH, but looking for something with a little more zip. Regarding the 3CS-28, I was wondering whether the similar approach-at least on paper- to the upper portion (slightly shallower cup, 3c rim, 28 throat) pared with a backbore that should be zippier than the Reeves 692 might be the ticket...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
sjfrost

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Reeves JH and HornTrader 3CS-28? Reply with quote

I have not compared the two, but I play a Reeves 42 DS 692SL. A little different rim than the JH, but same cup. The 692S or 692SL should give you the zip you're looking for.
hackney_wick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delete

Last edited by hackney_wick on Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
dmr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas!

Part of the reason I was looking at different makers was I'm not sure I can justify going full custom on a Reeves. So, the James New idea makes sense. I'm aware of a lot of Marcinkiewicz offerings that would probably fit the bill too (I thought I read that the E3/3c may have been inspired by Mr. Davis as well, but maybe it's just folklore).

I was mainly interested in the initial comparison in the subject line, but perhaps to hijack my own thread, I'd be curious to hear from others who tried the JH and landed on something a little different...

Thanks again!
ws tpt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a few months late in reply, but I finally ordered the Horn trader 3CS in October. I have played the Reeves Jerry Hey piece for more than 4 years now. To the OP, I like the HT, but it doesn't feel the same similar to the Reeves piece. To me, my chops, the HT feels very close to the Patrick 3Z or the Marcink. E3/3C. The Reeves feels like nothing else I've ever played & I've been playing for more than 40 years now. The Hey piece does remind me of a 1970's Giardinelli that I had for years (someone helped themselves to that piece years ago). I still miss that mpc. Sorry for the late reply, I hope this is helpful.
dmr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ws tpt wrote:
I'm a few months late in reply, but I finally ordered the Horn trader 3CS in October. I have played the Reeves Jerry Hey piece for more than 4 years now. To the OP, I like the HT, but it doesn't feel the same similar to the Reeves piece. To me, my chops, the HT feels very close to the Patrick 3Z or the Marcink. E3/3C. The Reeves feels like nothing else I've ever played & I've been playing for more than 40 years now. The Hey piece does remind me of a 1970's Giardinelli that I had for years (someone helped themselves to that piece years ago). I still miss that mpc. Sorry for the late reply, I hope this is helpful.

Thanks for the reply! It does leave me intrigued...
With respect to "feel', are you discussing rim feel, how the 'blow' feels, response, all of that, something else?

I like the sound I get from the JH. Seems easier to color the sound than some other Reeves pieces I've tried, like the response (quicker for me than a 3c) and has solid targets on the notes. On the other hand, do the other pieces you mentioned (HT or otherwise) give you more 'cut' than the JH? Looking for something to complement the JH at this point vs. a duplicate, and don't know that I want to justify going full custom....

Thanks!
Gregory Gilmore
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:26 am    Post subject: Reeves JH Reply with quote

I've played the Reeves JH since 1998. Roy Poper suggested it to me during a lesson. I used it primarily for shows and I still think it's a great piece. Bob McCoy recommended to have another made with the 69 backbore and that made a nice difference...I have no experience with the 3CS...
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never played the HT piece but I have two JH underparts, one stock with #692 bbore and one with #69 bbore, great commercial cup and the best Reeves cup if you can't play shallow cups .

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: