• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Old Belgian B. DeVries

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RETrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:41 pm    Post subject: Old Belgian B. DeVries Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm looking for some info on the maker of this horn. B. DeVries is punched into the bell but the only reference I've found to a maker named DeVries is a Melchior DeVries. There do seem to be some players through history with this name. Family? Or just a common name?

I've always been curious about these types of trumpets since I first saw a picture of Charlier's model and I picked this up for not too much. Sort of a flugel-like wrap, but probably originates from rotary trumpet geometry (You can really see that influence in Charlier's model especially in his third slide).

This one takes a shorter shank trumpet mouthpiece, has a tuning bit at the leadpipe as well as the main slide, and is .416 bore by my measurement. Seller claimed it was made in the '20s or '30s

This horn is going to take some work to get back into playing shape, but the valves are decent for it's age and it has a lot of potential. Main issue is that it's taken some hits and a lot of stuff just isn't straight. And the porting on the third valve is a disaster....

Overall, a neat piece of history.

Picc: Stomvi Master, Couesnon Monopole
Cornet: Schilke A2C, '23 Buescher
Flugel: Scodwell Prototype
luc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
The story starts with Melchior Gummarus De Vries (born 1808-died 1870), he was a coppersmith around 1837. From 1838-39 he was noted as maker of brass musical instruments. His son, Jan Baptiste De Vries (1834-1871), was a coppersmith also. (related to the B on your instrument, from Baptist?) His son, Melchior De Vries (1864-1941) closes the line being maker of brass musical instruments.

Within the town of Lier (Lierre in French), located in the vicinity of Antwerp, there were 3 factories active : Van Engelen since 1813, De Vries since 1838, De Cart since 1850.

brgds,
Luc (from Belgium).[/b]
luc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some other less known factories of brass musical instruments located at Lier to be added : Verhoeven, since 1821- Verstappen, since 1828 and Van Dessel, activ around 1920s.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: