• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Raw Brass Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
coloradomacs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:41 am    Post subject: Raw Brass Trumpet Reply with quote

Im looking for a new raw brass horn that'll really give me that dark fluffy smokey tone I'm looking for around $5k any suggestions?
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thane Performance with the large bell taper.
Lotus Solo or Universal Max.
Edwards X-13.

Here’s a picture of my raw Thane Performance, large red brass bell.

Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotary trumpet with matching mouthpiece?
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Gonzalez
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check out the Van Laar Oiram light II. It has a 72 bell, warm as fire 😊 And it’s not light as in light.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In discussions like these, the Martin Bohme Tumultus seems to crop up in the same breath as the Thane Performance. Here's a link with a sample video:

https://klangwerkstatt-boehme.de/en/instrumente-2/tumultus-2/

(NOTE: This is the regular Tumultus, not the Tumultus-LL, which is designed for lead playing.)

Other than that, check out YouTube for sample videos by Trent Austin of Austin Custom Brass. He demos a lot of the horns he sells; you may get some ideas on other available options.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Raw Brass Trumpet Reply with quote

coloradomacs wrote:
Im looking for a new raw brass horn that'll really give me that dark fluffy smokey tone I'm looking for around $5k any suggestions?

There are a handful of custom shops around the country. These are run by folks who are players first, but have a real interest in, and have devoted considerable energy learning about, the elements of design. Some have relationships with one or more custom or semi-custom maker, some are the maker, and many blur those lines. But they personally identify with how the right tool for the uniqueness of each individual supports optimum playing.

Finding one close to you is a good idea (my go-to is in Austin, I'm in Detroit - it's a pain), but finding someone who also identifies with you genre and style preferences is also key.

Finding a good custom shop will help you find a perfect fit. Buying what someone else thinks is the perfect fit will help only about as much as random buying off the shelf from a major maker. If you want a professional tool, you need professional help finding it.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
In discussions like these, the Martin Bohme Tumultus seems to crop up in the same breath as the Thane Performance. Here's a link with a sample video:

(NOTE: This is the regular Tumultus, not the Tumultus-LL, which is designed for lead playing.)

I have never heard of the Tumultus and searching this site using Google doesn’t come up with any hits.

I’m not challenging but were those discussions here?
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Halflip wrote:

I have never heard of the Tumultus and searching this site using Google doesn’t come up with any hits.

Here: https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=160083&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:
Halflip wrote:

Here: https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=160083&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

🤔

Did the same search and found the posts. A glitch in the matrix? I certainly could have messed up, but I am pretty sure I did the same search.

Thanks.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Raw Brass Trumpet Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
coloradomacs wrote:

There are a handful of custom shops around the country. These are run by folks who are players first, but have a real interest in, and have devoted considerable energy learning about, the elements of design. Some have relationships with one or more custom or semi-custom maker, some are the maker, and many blur those lines. But they personally identify with how the right tool for the uniqueness of each individual supports optimum playing.

Finding one close to you is a good idea (my go-to is in Austin, I'm in Detroit - it's a pain), but finding someone who also identifies with you genre and style preferences is also key.

Finding a good custom shop will help you find a perfect fit. Buying what someone else thinks is the perfect fit will help only about as much as random buying off the shelf from a major maker. If you want a professional tool, you need professional help finding it.

Is the shop you are talking about Austin Winds? If so I have been there a few times while I lived down in the area while I was still in the military.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:

Other than that, check out YouTube for sample videos by Trent Austin of Austin Custom Brass. He demos a lot of the horns he sells; you may get some ideas on other available options.

This is the top of my recommendation.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
scatanas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play the Tumultus and it is a pretty warm sound. Not crazy dark. But smooth. I play the GR Louis Dowdeswell T3.0 with it - but I have the flugel v-shaped cup corresponding GR for it for when I want it to sound almost like a flugelhorn.

Having said that, the silkiest, fluffiest, darkest sounding trumpet I ever owned was an Adams A4 with a 0.50 Red Brass bell. It was too dark, no joke. So I sold it.
onlyson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can pick up a Del Quadro Grizzly in the $3200 range. I've used it in section work too with a Shew Jazz and it fit in fine. The mouthpiece really makes a huge difference when looking for that smoky sound. A Bach 3 is a good place to start. Not a 3C, it's what Chris Botti plays. A 3B is also good. You might try one of the hybrid designs from Schilke. Or the Patrick RB3B. Surprisingly, I've found some very small mouthpieces can produce the tone you're looking for, and I suspect Miles Davis achieved this in the studio and when using a microphone live. A Benge 10.5C I have is pretty cool, and the Yamaha John Hagstrom piece with my Martin Committee is awesome! Good luck in your quest.
1951 Martin Committee Deluxe #3 Bore
ACB Coppernicus
Couesnon Flugel
Carol Pocket Trumpet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: