• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Advice on setting price for a used C trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
douglasdetrick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:26 am    Post subject: Advice on setting price for a used C trumpet Reply with quote

Hello trumpet herald folks! I'm getting ready to sell a C trumpet that I haven't used since playing orchestra in undergrad. It's a Bach 229 bell serial number 230964, manufactured around 1983. It's been fitted with a Najoom leadpipe that is in good condition. Lacquer is quite worn, but overall, its a good horn that would work well for a similar purpose that I used it for, maybe not for someone wanting to pursue orchestral playing as their main thing, but wants to play in an orchestra at the college level.

I'm moving soon and looking to downsize, so I'm not concerned about getting a high price, but selling it sometime in the next 6 to 8 weeks to someone who could use it.

Any advice about a price to set? I would be ok to sell it for as little $500, but I'm curious how any of you would recommend pricing it.

Also, I've reached out to some former teachers and local classical players with now success yet. I'll be listing it here, but anyone have other ideas for places to sell a horn? Ebay?

Thanks so much for your advice!

Images of the horn here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1DEuc_JQrUyCnBr-wFxDkFAt7OjuCljK-?usp=share_link [/url]
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$1500-1750 would be an appropriate price for that horn. It would sell in 60 seconds for $500.

Trumpetherald is a good place to list, although you may need to make a few more posts in the forum before your account has access to the marketplace. Ebay and Reverb are also good, although Reverb's payment system has been affected by some recent bank failures. You could also try Facebook groups or Facebook marketplace, but be warned that there are a lot of scammers on that site.

Last edited by Goby on Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Wondra
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listing it here for sure.

Given that you are less concerned about your proceeds, eBay has the largest audience. If you want lower selling expenses (though smaller crowd), check out Reverb.

There is also a newer trumpet community called trumpetboards.com. They also have free listings though I haven't tried listing over there yet.

Don't make me get the flying monkeys...
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goby wrote:
$1500-1750 would be an appropriate price for that horn. It would sell in 60 seconds for $500.

Trumpetherald is a good place to list, although you may need to make a few more posts in the forum before your account has access to the marketplace. Ebay and Reverb are also good, although Reverb's payment system has been affected by some recent bank failures. You could also try Facebook groups or Facebook marketplace, but be warned that there are a lot of scammers on that site.

Nope. Only one post is required.

LittleRusty wrote:
Posted on 09 Aug 2020:
trumpetherald wrote:
kehaulani wrote:
Yes you are. If I'm not mistaking, the minimum is five. And they should be reasonably substantial. The goal is to involve people in the forum on its own value and not just as a place to sell equipment.

Hey Kehaulani, this was recently changed just to one post. Five became self-defeating.

-td

Link to thread containing the TrumpetHerald quote
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent you a private message, but if you are new here, you may not see it, so wanted to let you know I am interested in the C trumpet.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your general question. For me, a used trumpet in very good condition (with the original case also in very good condition) is worth about 1/2 the street price for a new version of that horn. Maybe a bit less for a Bb Bach Strad or Yamaha Xeno, since there are so many out there. Maybe a bit more for a less common horn (like a C trumpet) or if the horn is in excellent condition. And maybe a bit more if it's being sold by a dealer, who is adding after-market support and other guarantees.

I agree that $500 may be low. Even with the cosmetic damage, I think it's worth at least $1000. It's just my opinion, but $1500 may be pushing it, but with the after-market leadpipe and assuming valves/slides/etc are all in good condition, it might be worth that much.

Places I've used to buy/sell.
- TrumpetHerald Market Place
- eBay
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/299068160258031
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/531534323687908
- Craigslist

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP and anyone else trying to set a value on something, I usually go to ebay, do a search on the item, and scroll down on the left side to click sold and/or completed listings.
That will show what people actually paid for an item, rather than wasting time with inflated asking prices that may or may not sell.
Prices are down these days, some things still sell at high prices, but it's generally a bad time to sell a horn, IMO.
https://yourbrass.com/
douglasdetrick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you that have replied! It's been very helpful. I'll list it on the TH marketplace soon.
jeirvine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
To the OP and anyone else trying to set a value on something, I usually go to ebay, do a search on the item, and scroll down on the left side to click sold and/or completed listings.
That will show what people actually paid for an item, rather than wasting time with inflated asking prices that may or may not sell.
Prices are down these days, some things still sell at high prices, but it's generally a bad time to sell a horn, IMO.

You can also use Google to find sold Reverb listings:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Areverb.com+Bach+239
1947 Olds Super Cornet
1948 Couesnon flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special
1956 Martin Committee
1964 Olds Recording
1968 Bach 329 C
1996 Bach 37
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: