• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pre-war Olds Super?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JFisher63

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:28 pm    Post subject: Pre-war Olds Super? Reply with quote

Curious to hear some thoughts, experiences, suggestions

I just bought my 1st pre-war Olds trumpet, a Super (SN 84XX = 1940.) As with most older Olds, the lacquer is shot ~ which is fine I have two 50s LA Ambassadors in same condition. The valves don't look beat up & I don't detect red rot in photos. Worst shown is a typical dented 2nd valve slide. The bell looks like a crease repair was accomplished but appears like it's a good repair. I've read the pre-war Olds bend easily & even my 1948 Olds Standard seems like it would bend easier than my other 1950s & 60s models. So, I pulled the trigger on purchase because all parts are present & no stuck slides, MPC etc. The seller seemed honest & when I asked Questions, without prompting, they posted more photos. I am sure I paid way to much, but it was an impulse buy to add a pre-war model to my collection.
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't go too wrong. These horns, as much as they've appreciated, are still undervalued. Alongside my Bachs, I cherish these honeys. Intonation is spot on, sound is flexible, as good as most any modern instrument.

ed
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-war Olds Super? Reply with quote

JFisher63 wrote:
I am sure I paid way to much, but it was an impulse buy to add a pre-war model to my collection.

In building up my collection, I found some good horns at 'bargain' prices, but when a horn I wanted was already recognized as 'in demand' in the marketplace, I just paid what was necessary to get it when the time was right for me (even if I knew I was going to sink another $1000 to $1500 into it for a professional restoration). I haven't regretted that strategy yet. However, I admit that I'm not into my hobby with an eye toward reselling.

I agree with Ed that the horns are terrific (I don't have a Super, but I have a Super Recording). You can find many threads here that sing the praises of the classic Olds Super.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a very cool horn. Gratz!
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
SilverSpunk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These earlier Olds Supers are lightweight monsters. Lead players seem to like these early Supers, they project very well and are relatively consistent horns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: