• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Favorite ‘impulse’ purchase?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
That looks exactly like a 36/38B. What's the difference between that and a Conn 6B Victor?

The 6B Victor is mostly the same instrument, but the bell and leadpipe have no nickel plating, there’s no 1st valve slide trigger, and no 1st and 3rd slide stop rods. The engraving on the bell has the “marching men” logo surrounded by a good dose of floral engraving.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago I bought a Conn 40b Vocabell from the Shopgoodwill website for $200. It was before everyone discovered the site. Man what a horn! Playing iI don't need no stinking monitors. I can hear my sound off the back wall.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanstul-made Besson 709.
talkenhorn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:50 pm    Post subject: Impulse buy Reply with quote

KGU Classic Mouthpiece Booster.

I have loved it since the first note. I put it on won't take it off. Didn't have it 24 hours and played a televised Church service acapella trumpet solo for the lead in. Something I would have never believed I would have ever done. I would usually have taken a week to play around with it. But no, right out of the box, onto the mouthpiece and there it is. Had to find one for my cornet, wick is all I can find but I have a nice little wick cornet mouthpiece. We'll see how it works out. I just usually use a Wicked Pickett. For the Classic booster I put it on my Yamaha mouthpiece. It hasn't been a week and I was compelled to purchase another KGU booster, the Rocket, one for my trumpet Pickett. I don't usually throw money around like that. But I have no regrets (or regurts either).
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably my Benge 3X.

I got it on the spur of the moment to act as a backup for my Primary horn which was getting worked on. I could have just used my Cornet or Flugelhorn, but hey, perfect excuse to buy another horn.

I was going to sell it when my other horn came back, but it turned out to be in excellent shape and plays so well that I sold my Primary, instead.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Rogerrr
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting here waiting for UPS to deliver my most recent impulse purchase ( ‘67 olds ambassador)…

I’ll know in a few hours if it’s my favorite
JHirakawa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most fun impulse purchase was a for a 1954 Conn 34A Concert Special Cornet. I went to an auction at an old musical store that was liquidating. I have never been to a live auction before and it was a fascinating experience. You could get there early and check out the items before-hand so I showed up with valve oil and mouthpieces in hand. The trumpets they had were nothing special. I didn't have a cornet at the time, so that's what I spent my time on. I tried out a Conn Vocabell cornet (really neat looking but had issues); an Olds Special Cornet (more issues), a very nice Conn 34A, and two brand new Besson cornets, cases still wrapped in plastic. I oiled the valves on a Besson and I liked how it played. I checked out the horns on the internet before the auction started. Found out the Bessons were student models. The Conn 34A was only made in 1954 and it was the top of the Conn line at the time. The bidding was fast and furious. Just like you see on TV. You snooze, you lose. You scratch your nose and you may have just bid on something. The Bessons shot over my budget pretty fast. The cornet that I oiled sold for almost twice as much as the other one. I over heard one bidder say that the valves didn't work on that one. I won the Conn 34A. It was in great shape, fantastic valves and slides and no dents. I went there for the action. What a rush. Getting a nice cornet was a bonus. The Conn 34A is the second horn from the left. The other cornets in the photo were gifted to me later on (1962 Olds Special, 1964 MV Bach Strad, 1954 Conn 80A Victor).

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7b/Vintage_Cornets.jpg
'48 Chi Benge
'47 Conn 22b
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'47 Holton 48
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds, DEG Bugles
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reminds me of an “antique” auction my wife and I went to back in the early 1980s. It was in an old barn with a gravel floor, way out in the country. We got there early to look over the items that would be auctioned that night, and I saw a Conn trumpet case. I went over to it and opened it, fully expecting to see an old beat-up Director, but instead, it was an old beat-up Bach Stradivarius! I nervously picked it up and saw it was a ML Mt. Vernon 43. I gave it a quick look and put it back in the case, trying not to look excited.

Well, a couple hours later, it finally hit the auction block. The auctioneer said something like “here’s an old trumpet and all the buttons work”, and the bidding started at $1. Of course, someone else wanted it, too, so I kept bidding it up until he dropped out. I immediately went over to the cashier and paid my winning bid of $60, and we left. It was a lacquered 1953 model and turned out to be a smooth player.

I had Southeastern Musical Services give it a cosmetic restoration (which cost around $350 at the time) and I played it for years before selling it on eBay to get the money to buy a good cornet. I didn’t mind selling it, because I also had a 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43 at the time, and I think it played just as well. How I got that 1976 Strad for $150 is another story…lol
jhahntpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I more or less impulsively bought my 9335 NY Gen 3...

I went to Dillon Music with the intent of replacing my commercial/pit horn BUT I ended up playing this and falling in love with it.
Piccolo: Yamaha 9830
Flugel: Yamaha 8315G
Cornet: York Eminence
WigglePig

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
A number of years ago when I was building up my collection of pocket horns, I took a look at the Horn Trader website just to see what was new there, and coincidentally Steve Dillard had just gotten a few of those Carol Brass CPT-1000-YSS mini pocket trumpets (billed as "the world's smallest B-flat trumpet"). They seemed to be nicely made, and Steve was charging a rock bottom price at the time, so I called him and ordered one on the spot..

Funnily enough I impulse-bought the same model at the weekend and it has arrived this afternoon. I was expecting it to be nice as I have another CarolBrass trumpet but I didn’t think it would sound quite this good! It was intended for portable practice but I suspect it will get more use than that!
Jimbosan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New favorite impulse estate sale find. A 1945 Martin Committee, in original condition, great valves, no dents, beautiful amber lacquer, Martin mouthpiece, with case. This edges out my previous favorite estate sale impulse find, a 1948 Chicago Benge. (I also picked up a very nice 1942 Buescher True Tone 205 at an estate sale last fall for peanuts.)

'48 Chi Benge
'47 Conn 22b
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'47 Holton 48
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds, DEG Bugles
jeirvine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought horns knowing it was a good deal on a collectible model, and that if it didn't tickle my fancy I could recoup the investment. A dozen keepers later...

But the one that stands out is a 1932 King Silvertone artist bore trumpet. I saw it in an ad in Cleveland, and talked a friend into picking it up for me when he visited family there over Thanksgiving. It's my new #1. It sounds great, looks great, and feels like it just plays itself. My oldest horn is the most playable. Go figure.

1947 Olds Super Cornet
1948 Couesnon flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special
1956 Martin Committee
1964 Olds Recording
1968 Bach 329 C
1996 Bach 37
jbriddle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:27 am    Post subject: impulse buy? Reply with quote

my first Monette the Ajna, that is how I fell in love with Dave's horns.
Olds Studio
Getzen Eterna Piccolo
Olds Recording
Custom Komlossy Modifications Flugelhorn
1946 Chicago Benge #529
Monette 149XL
Monette 61X C
Martin Committee
Chicago Benge #540
Burbank Benge #5576
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: impulse buy? Reply with quote

jbriddle wrote:
my first Monette the Ajna, that is how I fell in love with Dave's horns.

If only I could afford that sort of impulse purchase! (sigh)

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I have had two impulse buys:

1. Mount Vernon Bach Large Bore in original condition
2. French Besson Meha, likely a pre war horn depending on who you ask

Impulse trade: I ended up with a 1959 Martin Committee 3, also in original condition, after trading straight across my Schilke S22.

I currently play the Bach and the Committee on a regular basis and occasionally break out the Besson.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s what you might call an impulse buy. I had looked for one of these in nice, original condition for years. It’s a unicorn of sorts, a 1962 Conn 9A Victor cornet. A short cornet with a huge .485” bore and a Coprion bell and leadpipe. I placed a stout bid on eBay the day it was posted, and won it, just $20 short of my maximum bid. Plays great, with a rich powerful sound.

Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Here’s what you might call an impulse buy. I had looked for one of these in nice, original condition for years. It’s a unicorn of sorts, a 1962 Conn 9A Victor cornet. A short cornet with a huge .485” bore and a Coprion bell and leadpipe. I placed a stout bid on eBay the day it was posted, and won it, just $20 short of my maximum bid. Plays great, with a rich powerful sound.

Arguably the prettiest cornet or trumpet Conn ever made. What a find!
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
Yammie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:22 pm    Post subject: So many….. Reply with quote

Great question!

I’ve got 35-40 horns, piles of cases, 200+ mutes, 150+ mouthpieces, so I’m not the voice of fiscal sanity! But a recent purchase was certainly a winner. $500 1950 Olds Studio in great, dark lacquer shape. In the case were a Bach New York 6 mouthpiece (a personal favorite size), a Bach Mt. Vernon 6 mouthpiece, both in nice shape, a Humes & Berg Chicago straight mute, and a 50s copper Harmon Swingmaster. The horn’s great, but the extras paid for it!

Second best was a $700 mint 1956 Connstellation 38B with a like new Mt. Vernon 1-1/2C, which sold instantly for $300, a 1925 Harmon (PAT APP’L FOR, prior to issuance of their 1926 patent), and a Humes & Beth Chicago cup mute.

Definitely two of my luckiest “let’s quick check eBay before bed” finds.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: So many….. Reply with quote

Yammie wrote:

I’ve got 35-40 horns, piles of cases, 200+ mutes, 150+ mouthpieces, so I’m not the voice of fiscal sanity!.

That's a lot of horns. My wife thinks five or six is too many!
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
jhahntpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I impulsively just bought a knock off Warburton Pete and it's everything that the original is for a fifth of the price.
Piccolo: Yamaha 9830
Flugel: Yamaha 8315G
Cornet: York Eminence
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: