• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet after Covid

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eli’s Coming

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:42 am    Post subject: Trumpet after Covid Reply with quote

It took 3 years but Covid finally found me. Not a severe case but certainly not pleasant. I haven’t touched my trumpet in a week and a half. I play lead in a big band and have a 3 hour gig in a couple weeks followed by a 4 hour gig the next week. Any recommendations on how to get back to work and what I should expect. Best case / worse case scenario ? I’m sure plenty of you guys have gone through it. Any advice would be great. Today I will try playing long tones.
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Covid seems to affect different people in VERY different ways.
Example from personal experience. Me and my wife had it at the same time.
Affects on me: felt super lazy for 2 or 3 days, but I got over it and was back to my normal things, including exercise, right away with no apparent affects.
Affect on my wife: barely get out of bed for almost 2 weeks. Could not resume her exercise for several weeks after that. Even today, over 1.5 years later, her breathing is not the same. She walks about 4 miles a day at a rapid pace and says her breathing is much more difficult now after covid.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Trumpet after Covid Reply with quote

Eli’s Coming wrote:
It took 3 years but Covid finally found me. Not a severe case but certainly not pleasant. I haven’t touched my trumpet in a week and a half. I play lead in a big band and have a 3 hour gig in a couple weeks followed by a 4 hour gig the next week. Any recommendations on how to get back to work and what I should expect. Best case / worse case scenario ? I’m sure plenty of you guys have gone through it. Any advice would be great. Today I will try playing long tones.

I had COVID at the very end of 2020. I was sick for 10 days, lost my sense of taste (except for a very keen sense of bitter), and maybe 30% of my breathing capacity. Playing trumpet really helped get my depth of breathing back.

I suggest you focus on breathing basics. First, the mechanics of breathing properly and fully. Long ago, while I was teaching choral music at a private school, I developed an exercise that established good breathing posture and mechanics. I used it to reestablish my own breathing. Here's what I suggest you do:

- Lie flat on you back with your knees comfortably bent, feet flat on the floor. The object is to relax the back as completely as possible.
- Raise you upper arms as close to 90 degrees as you comfortably can. Optimally, they should describe a straight line through your torso. Do not raise your shoulders when doing this. Keep your shoulders relaxed down, as you would standing.
- Bend your elbows 90 degrees and lay your forearms on the floor, if you can. This opens up the rib cage and lifts the sternum, so that you have the most room for lung expansion.
- Take a few breaths through your nose. Your belly should rise and fall, as you inhale and exhale. Since your rib cage is already expanded, you should see little movement there. When you can do this in a relaxed fashion, deepen your breaths.
- Exhale through pursed lips. Form your lips as you would to blow out a candle. Allow your air to flow out through them; no forcing.

The point of this exercise is to establish a base for proper breath control. DO NOT try to emulate what you do while playing trumpet, as you begin this process. It may only take one or two 5 minute sessions to get your breathing back in form and on its way to healthy levels. You might experience some congestion, as you begin to clean out your lungs. This is a sign the exercise is working.

Once you get your breathing reestablished, work on long tones as part of your warmup regimen. Do all at a mp level. Pay attention to your breathing mechanics, as you do these. Try to maintain the same motion you developed on the floor exercise.

Don't rush through things. COVID attacks the lungs. The damage can be fatal, but often leaves a person with reduced lung capacity and efficiency. But, you can gain that back, if you work at it intelligently. Trumpet playing helps.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Health is more important than a gig (at least for me) so I’d go slow. Took seven or eight weeks until I picked up the horn after my Covid infection in 2022.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a mild case of it last summer. I took Paxlovid and it was gone in about a week, with no long-lasting effects. I laid off practicing for a little over a week, and it didn’t take long to get back up to speed.

For me, the lasting effect of covid was the year or two of playing no gigs during all the lockdowns. I lost my motivation to practice along the way, and at my age, it’s taking quite a while to get back to where I was with range and endurance. I’m getting there, though!
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Trumpet after Covid Reply with quote

Eli’s Coming wrote:
It took 3 years but Covid finally found me. Not a severe case but certainly not pleasant.

Sorry to hear that. Hope you'll get well soon.

Eli’s Coming wrote:
I play lead in a big band and have a 3 hour gig in a couple weeks followed by a 4 hour gig the next week. Any recommendations on how to get back to work and what I should expect.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst? Maybe you should inform the band so preparations can be made in case your recovery goes slower than you'd like (i.e. switch parts between players, or maybe find a sub in time). Meanwhile, listen to your body and don't try to force things. If you skimp on your long term recovery for a short term gig, you may end up regretting it. Hopefully though, you'll make a swift recovery that makes any contingency plans unneeded.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Eli’s Coming

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A follow up:
Strictly playing soft long tones. My lung capacity is definitely diminished. I’d say about 15% based on how long I can hold a note. Whisper C has been a great drill. This week I will continue long tones and introduce range at a soft level, which is always a good thing.
LDwoods very true it affects everyone differently. It ran through my household and we all experienced something different.

Shofarguy what a great breathing exercise. Not just for Covid but in general. Hopefully I’m doing it right. Thanks for the tip.

Brassnose I’m sorry to hear you were down and out for 8 weeks. That’s rough. It would take me quite a while to make up for 8 weeks of no practicing

Dale Proctor you’re right not having gigs for a year and a half was rough. I did pick up students for lessons during that time period however.

Stuartissimo pray for the best is what it comes down to. I did have a voice in music selection for our sets so at least the songs are stacked decent.

Thank you everyone. I wish you all well.
Tivolian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanna say, what a great community. Inspirational.
raynjtrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently dealing with COVID. This is my fourth day since my first symptoms, but I only tested positive yesterday. For the first two days, I had no desire to play, and on the third day (yesterday) I played for just a few minutes and found it was making me feel slightly dizzy. But today, after having been highly congested last night, I played for maybe 45 minutes or an hour, and I actually felt the playing was making me feel better and helping to clear my lungs. So I'm hopeful I may soon get back into my regular practice routine, even though I probably won't test negative for several more days.

No particular conclusion, except that everyone's experience will likely be different. Feel your way carefully, and make the decision that works for you.

All I was playing today were long tones and flow study sorts of things - just trying to maintain a consistent air stream and get the lips to respond with the least possible effort.

FWIW, I was vaccinated and double-boosted, but probably let my guard down a little too much recently in terms of exposure to crowds.
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All. I contracted a mild case of COVID (two shots, three boosters). Worst of it was two to three days in with sinus congestion & a cough. I was given Lagevrio (Moinupiravir) for five days & it did a good job of knocking it out after the third day. I'm in my 10th day now & symptoms seem to be gone. Based on anyone who has experienced COVID in this manner, when did you feel it was safe to pick up the trumpet again; not just being physically able to play; but more so, not worrying about infecting your horn, especially inside where the virus can live. Thanks!!!
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvf1095 wrote:
Hello All. I contracted a mild case of COVID (two shots, three boosters). Worst of it was two to three days in with sinus congestion & a cough. I was given Lagevrio (Moinupiravir) for five days & it did a good job of knocking it out after the third day. I'm in my 10th day now & symptoms seem to be gone. Based on anyone who has experienced COVID in this manner, when did you feel it was safe to pick up the trumpet again; not just being physically able to play; but more so, not worrying about infecting your horn, especially inside where the virus can live. Thanks!!!

I'm no chemist, but some here have written that brass has natural antimicrobial properties.

Let me share a story I was told by a long time trumpet player and teacher in my home town. He was diagnosed with a fungal infection in his lungs. His doctor told him he would die in the following six months and recommended he not play his trumpet. This player decided that, if he was going to die anyway, he would enjoy playing his horn as much as possible, in the mean time.

He told me this story years after hearing his doctor's prognosis. Obviously, he didn't die. It might be concluded that playing his horn contributed to his healing. The extra oxygen from playing could have provided his blood stream just what it needed to do its job and fight off the fungus.

You can always clean your horn. You can flush it with 70% Isopropyl alcohol to disinfect it afterward. Just go play your horn. It won't die from COVID and you might not, either.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had COVID in mid-2022. I was down sick ~4 days. However, at the advice of a doctor, I continued to practice everyday. Yes, it is unique to each of us. My daily test was to see if I could play Clarke Etude #1 in a single breath. Made it every day. So, in my case, I don't feel it impacted my breathing at all. And there was no impact to my chops because I didn't take any time off the horn. I was blessed with good fortune during my illness.
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice. I started to play again yesterday; covid be damned. Took all my meds, feel ok. Thanks!
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All. It was suggested that I post my experience with covid, or at least, post covid, after my symptoms were gone. I had as it turned out, a milder case of covid having had two shots & three boosters. However, I was put on Lagevrio for five days. I was concerned about playing & was advised to wait for five days until my symptoms were gone via the meds; which they were. (The meds really knocked it down). BUT, I did take some precautions when I started playing again just after, cleaning the mouthpiece when done, & squirting alcohol into the lead pipe & actually taking off the slide & swabbing that out too. Also, I was being sure not to suck in air from the horn! (Better music when it's the other way around! lol). Of course, if you are dealing with covid as of this writing, follow your doctor's advice. Be well!!!!
superviking805
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could play the trumpet no major problems after covid.
However, for a full 2 years after I couldn't access the upper register. Every time I would attempt full compression, I would be racked by coughing.
Recently I found I can compress again. Don't know what changed but finally healed.
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get it. Cough is the last thing to go. Glad you're well now.
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding one more thing (& I know this subject can be controversial), but during my covid experience & slightly after, I did buzz my mouthpiece not to contaminate my trumpet. (Better than nothing). Also did some embouchure isometrics. The mouthpiece is obviously easy to clean & disinfect much more so that taking your horn apart. Once I was clear after 5 days or so, I went back to the horn, but as I said in previous posts, cleaned & swabbed the lead pipe & removed the first slide to clean as well. I'll continue to do that for the next week or so since my symptoms are gone.
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got Covid for the first time this week. I was going to post asking questions for their experiences with it all but found this thread which is very helpful. Mild case, got some Paxlovid so other than a few days in bed with a fever symptoms are getting better after a few days. Did anyone have any negative experiences with resuming practicing too early?
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Covid last spring, right when I had a lot of playing commitments coming up. I started Paxlovid less than two days after I first had symptoms and felt much better before the end of the five-day course of pills, continued to isolate for the recommended number of days, went to a rehearsal... and then got "rebound Covid." The rebound wasn't very bad at all, but I was still testing positive. I then isolated until I had two negative tests.

I ended up missing multiple rehearsals and one dance gig, but throughout I listened to my body and practiced when I felt good and gave my trumpet a soapy bath and swabbing out the two times I re-entered society. I only missed practicing the first three days of the initial infection. The first two days were a no-brainer, as my lungs just hurt taking a breath. The third day I felt somewhat better, but attempting to compress a breath as if to start a tone resulted in uncontrollable coughing. Day four I started with low long tones.

I wasn't happy with my playing in the pit and I had to hand off some lead charts in the dance band for one gig, but my wind recovered before my sense of smell and at this point I'd like to think I've made a full recovery.
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you do!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: