• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

High end modern trumpet suggestions

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

herpderp wrote:
chef8489 wrote:
I really leve my vintage King and Bach horns, but really enjoyed when I got to audition a Mike Del Quadro horn and a Martin Boheme horn. I really think after I get my next few Bach and a Selmer K modified I will be getting a Martin Boheme custome horn.

I think Thane uses the same valves as Martin Bohme's trumpets. What model Bohme did you end up trying?

My understanding is the entry-level Thanes use a Carolbrass valve block (as do many boutique builders, including Harrelson) and the Thane Performance horns use a RAW valve block.

As the owner of a beloved-but-red-rotting Bach Strad with a regular weight 72 bell, the Thane Performance with a red brass 72-style bell does make me a bit weak in the knees. I am in no rush to replace it - I pretty much only use it in wind band concerts; my cornet and Argenta trumpet make able substitutes in rehearsals - but when/if I do, the Thane Performance and various Shires would be very high on my to-try list. Your note on intonation hits home, too. In most ways my Kanstul 991 is superior to my Bach, and ridiculously easier to play (that .438 bore and wide wrap are a magical combination), but damn me if D through F on the top of the staff aren't radically flat all the time. It does make blending in a section more difficult than need be.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
Strobe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard the demo of the Martin Boehme flugels and fell in "lust". If the trumpets are anything like these my pocketbook could be at risk.
Bach Hybrid 239
Olds Super Recording ''40's
King Cleveland ''76 (My First)
Olds Super Cornet ' '59
Boston 3 Star Cornet 1912
King Silvertone Cornet '35
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to throw a wrench in this thread, but..

I have played a few great, innovative, modern horns, and own 2, but nothing beats my Yamaha. Unconventional horns are great fun but when it comes down to making a living and getting the sound that I need, I always go back to a standard, basic trumpet with a super boring mouthpiece.

I really wanted to play a "special" horn made in the USA by a small shop, but that's not what ended up happening. For now at least.
maxmmm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a pro player,but I like to be up to date with anything related to trumpets and I've had some great horns over the years and got to play some other great horns.I've had a Conn 38B, Holton MF ,a Xeno,a large bore Bach Commercial,two Selmer 80J,etc and now I own two Committees and a brand new Bach LR190S43B with MAW valves that I play daily.Loving the sound of a Bach,looking for a good all round horn and testing the 37,43 and 72,this one suited me the best,but.....Last summer I went to Germany (I'm from Romania) and play tested some horns like Lotus,Taylor,Adams,Edwards,etc in two big shops and after that I visited Martin Bohme to test his horns.For me ,this is where the story ends,(at least for now
)..Martin's horns are way better than anything I played,now my Bach is for sale so I can order a large bell Tumultus asap,because he has a 10 months waiting time for a horn to be delivered.The Bach I own is the best trumpet I ever played and I installed the MAW valves and Harrelson's mouthpiece gap shims,so I can get the best out of it and to be easier to play,as I told you I'm not a pro player and I'm looking for the horn that helps me the most,but the off the shelf Bohme blew my tweaked new generation Bach.Not to mention that besides the way they play,Martin offers some outstanding finishes for his horns(check out his instagram account).Another thing that speaks about the quality of Martin's horns is the fact that since 2015 when he started building horns,I never saw a used one for sale,someone told me that whoever tries his horns,orders one,and who has one doesn't let it go. This is my personal experience if it helps someone,I don't want this to sound like an ad for Bohme horns:).I have a friend that ordered a Tumultus a couple of weeks ago,even before I could order one for myself,based only on my experience,and he has the same Bach that I have ,bought a few months ago.So in my opinion,Bohme is one of the best options for a custom horn on this side of the pond.The only trumpets I never played and would love to are Monettes,Thane,Resonance and Harrelson.I only played a couple of Harrelsons,a really heavy one that was a challenge to hold for an entire gig but surprisingly was quite free blowing, and an older model,which I liked and was close to my Bach,but not better.Anyway,this was not enough to make an impression of the horns and I would love to make a visit to Jason's shop sometime ,but that's a long shot being from E'rn Europe,and Harrelson ,Monettes and Resonance are a bit out of my league in terms of the price,the only one I'm really curious about is Thane,but I don't have any chance to try one,so I'm anxious to order a Tumultus.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin’s horns are amazing. The Tumultus is my favorite of his models, but it might be a little too warm sounding depending on the style of playing you do.

I feel that the Thane Performance is at the same level as Martin’s horns, but the Thane has a little more versatility with its tone.

With that said, where do you have your 43B listed for sale???

Edit: Oh, I see you’re in Romania. Martin Böhme is probably the top choice for that side of the world. If I lived there, I’d have a Tumultus already. For the US I think the Thane Performance is our equivalent.
You can’t go wrong with either choice though!
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Individual preference ... I rest my Case.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
herpderp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:
I was gonna recommend a Thane Performance, but you’ve already made the right decision!

If you want another modern horn to add to your collection, maybe look into ordering a standard bell (37) Thane Performance to pair with your large bell.
I have both and find situations suited for each. Big bell for acoustic, intimate gigs. Small bell for classical, lead, or anything where I need a more traditional trumpet tone.

Congrats on your horn!

Eric, have you ever tried any of the SE Shires trumpets? I'm curious what you think of them if so.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

herpderp wrote:
ericmpena wrote:
I was gonna recommend a Thane Performance, but you’ve already made the right decision!

If you want another modern horn to add to your collection, maybe look into ordering a standard bell (37) Thane Performance to pair with your large bell.
I have both and find situations suited for each. Big bell for acoustic, intimate gigs. Small bell for classical, lead, or anything where I need a more traditional trumpet tone.

Congrats on your horn!

Eric, have you ever tried any of the SE Shires trumpets? I'm curious what you think of them if so.

I know I am not who you asked, but I tried them several years ago and really liked them. Preferred them much more than the yamahas I tried and most of the Bachs I tried. I do l9ve the Bach 72 though.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

herpderp wrote:
ericmpena wrote:

Congrats on your horn!

I did try Shires at TMEA. They were fine, but I don’t remember anything special about them.

I’ve come to learn that most professional model trumpets play very well. None of them are bad choices. My favorite “traditional” horn was a Yamaha Xeno Artist New York…or whatever it’s called. Too bad it was listed for $6,700+.

There are very few horns available that separate themselves from the rest though.
Thane Performance, Tumultus, Edwards X-13, and the Xeno Artist NY are my favorites so far in that order.

Again, I’m not saying everything else is not good. They just aren’t on the same level.

Taylor, AR Resonance, and Lotus have all been disappointing….but I’m slightly tempted to give Lotus one more shot because they recently changed their leadpipe and the new models play much better than their older stuff.
The new Solo model looks promising…
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps not what's been asked, but I got to briefly play a Monette MF horn and I couldn't believe how easy it was to play. I was dumbfounded. I confess that the sound wasn't exactly my preference but playability was off the charts.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve never even seen a Monette but my teacher plays an older Taylor (Chicago?) and it seems to function along the same principles: the sound was there immediately when I played it, very open a relaxed to play. Impressive.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
TrumpetmanAF

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always find Getzen to be pretty underrated. I have a 3001MVS which is amazing and the valves are the best in the business.
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm……no love for Thein? Must be too mainstream……LOL
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shark01 wrote:

I've only seen one Thein in the States, and it belongs to a player who has retired here from Germany. Seems a very nice horn, but I would need to play it a lot more than the few notes I have blown into it to really be able to parse out how it is different / better / worse than a Bach, Yamaha, etc.

An earlier poster mentioned Monette: my high school teacher had a pretty early C Monette, with a wrap more like a shrunken-down B flat than your typical C trumpet wrap. Truly remarkable horn. Super easy to play, much more dynamic range than my Bach, and had a neat split personality: it had the power and cutting ability of a Bach 229, but put in a deeper cup and back off the volume and it was instantly an intimate jazz horn, with a sublime sorta early-90s Wynton tone. My teacher primarily bought it so he could stand behind a piano and read out of a C Real Book without bothering to transpose
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subtropical and Subpar wrote:
Shark01 wrote:

I've only seen one Thein in the States, and it belongs to a player who has retired here from Germany. Seems a very nice horn, but I would need to play it a lot more than the few notes I have blown into it to really be able to parse out how it is different / better / worse than a Bach, Yamaha, etc.

An earlier poster mentioned Monette: my high school teacher had a pretty early C Monette, with a wrap more like a shrunken-down B flat than your typical C trumpet wrap. Truly remarkable horn. Super easy to play, much more dynamic range than my Bach, and had a neat split personality: it had the power and cutting ability of a Bach 229, but put in a deeper cup and back off the volume and it was instantly an intimate jazz horn, with a sublime sorta early-90s Wynton tone. My teacher primarily bought it so he could stand behind a piano and read out of a C Real Book without bothering to transpose

Thein does have a dealer near Dallas, so playing one shouldn’t be a major ordeal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: