• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chris Botti jazz trumpet major to smooth jazz

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetstud
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:18 am    Post subject: Chris Botti jazz trumpet major to smooth jazz Reply with quote

So Chris Botti went to IU and studied jazz just like everyone else did there. How did he go from "legit" jazz to smooth jazz? I don't think anyone "studies" smooth jazz. Just wondering how that works.
WestCoastTpt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best guess is a paycheck!
Peep this if you haven’t already:

https://youtu.be/_iSNlXwS_Lc
Trumpetstud
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that you on trumpet?!?
Trumpetstud
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would someone learn the nuances of playing smooth jazz vs say straight ahead jazz?
Trumpetstud
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ultimate goal is to play smooth jazz. I’m making a guess that u continue with the jazz studies and then kinda pick it up as I go?!? Have to learn all the scales and patterns, improvisation etc but then magically one morning I’ll wake up as a Chris Botti mini me! 🙄😆

Last edited by Trumpetstud on Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
onlyson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw him live years ago. Wished the entire concert he would just once step outside the box and play something that resembled jazz. Nope. He does have the most beautiful sound though. Even with all the reverb. Which was a LOT.
1951 Martin Committee Deluxe #3 Bore
ACB Coppernicus
Couesnon Flugel
Carol Pocket Trumpet
Tivolian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve seen him live 3-4 times; I obviously keep coming back. He plays a lot of authentic jazz in his sets (talking the Blue Note shows). He solos creatively and screams high notes. He mixes it up a lot but there’s a ton of jazz that’s not “smooth”.

To try to learn to play “smooth jazz” I would think learning to play jazz is a good approach. Smooth it out later if you want.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You learn Smooth Jazz like you learn any other Jazz - transcribing, seeing how the improvisor played over chords and how he used rhythms; listening to guys who play like you want to play: Botti, Braun etc, and not only trumpeters but guys like Dave Sanborn, Kenny G etc. and copying them. Listen, listen, listen.

As an adjunct - and only as a supplement, you still have to do the above-mentioned work - I found it helpful to get recordings and play-alongs of those recordings and, first to play along with the original, then lose your "training wheels" and play the solos in the spaces in the play-alongs.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:43 am; edited 3 times in total
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:47 am    Post subject: Chris Botti Reply with quote

Hello all,
Cool clip from Mount Hood JF. Danny Seigel played piano for a year or so when we were at UOregon in the late 70's. Brought back memories of getting most of the good players out of MHCC and ClackamasCC. I agree with following the paycheck. Botti got his foot in the limelight and ultimately with his path. I was able to follow the beginning of the legend through the Oregon grapevine. We new he was a rising star with NW roots. Oh, pretty sure Danny passed away a few years ago. Thanks again for the clip.
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestCoastTpt wrote:
My best guess is a paycheck!
Peep this if you haven’t already:

https://youtu.be/_iSNlXwS_Lc

He can flat out play. A little reminiscent of Woody Shaw in this clip.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An afterthought -
One thing I would have done more of when I was learning was to find a pop band to play with. There's just no substitute for doing; real introspection and analyses of your playing after every rehearsal, every gig, and then work on it.

If you can organize or find a group specializing in Smooth Jazz, great. But if you cant, don't overlook the opportunity of learning your craft in a conventual pop band. You may be able to find a pop band that will allow you to take your solos in a Smooth Jazz style, vs. i.e. R&B. And even if not, I personally found more similarity between Pop and Smooth Jazz as between Post-Bop Jazz and Smooth Jazz.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Chris Botti jazz trumpet major to smooth jazz Reply with quote

Trumpetstud wrote:
So Chris Botti went to IU and studied jazz just like everyone else did there. How did he go from "legit" jazz to smooth jazz? I don't think anyone "studies" smooth jazz. Just wondering how that works.

Chris’ career path is WELL documented in tons of interviews which you can easily find on YouTube and on various podcast platforms. He speaks openly about his education, start in the business, career trajectory, and daily inspiration/practice. Get your answers there…
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Chris Botti jazz trumpet major to smooth jazz Reply with quote

Trumpetstud wrote:
I don't think anyone "studies" smooth jazz. Just wondering how that works.

If you've got the coin and are looking for an academic program, Berklee College of Music is a wonderful place to explore that.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Chris Botti jazz trumpet major to smooth jazz Reply with quote

Trumpetstud wrote:
... How did he go from "legit" jazz to smooth jazz? I don't think anyone "studies" smooth jazz. Just wondering how that works.

---------------------------
Are you asking about how to learn to play in a 'smooth jazz' manner? My guess is that you need to 'adjust your musical preferences' so 'smooth jazz' becomes your output. Listen, and learn to 'like it'.

Or, are you asking about how to develop a 'paying job doing smooth jazz'? At the local level it might demand changing the venue for the group - cocktail lounge / dinner club versus 'jazz club'. What do the paying customers want to hear?
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Trumpetstud
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for all the responses. Jay I am talking about learning to play smooth jazz. Jay, I would love to play locally in some clubs, lounges or other venues. I told my wife I’d even be willing to go drop a hot on the sidewalks in Houston and have people drop some money in there and I would feel like I got some validation with my playing. She said “they wouldn’t be dropping money in the hat because of your playing. It would be because they thought you were homeless”!! Wow! She wants to ruin that for me too!! 😡🤬😆
Arranger-Transcriber
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sting
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:43 am    Post subject: Smooth Jazz Reply with quote

This has not only an excellent interview with Chris Botti, but has a bunch of other interviews.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-trumpet-summit/id1554796831
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What do the paying customers want to hear?

Wise words.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Players making it on the smooth jazz scene (if there even is a smooth jazz scene anymore) are just players that can play other types of “real jazz” well but are doing “smooth jazz” for various reasons one of which would be money.

To get there, you need to be have all the skills a jazz player has to have but particularly a good musical sound, and logical way of phrasing and good control of the instrument, and taste.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris is an outstanding sound model, and if you want to sound like that, listen. I'm not big into transcribing, although I dissect them and work on selected passages, and I don't think there's anything more to it than that. Make a study of the man. As that 1983 shows, he's got serious jazz chops. That's where he came from and his growth wasn't instantaneous. It was a journey, one worth taking.

And yes, your wife is right!

ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: