• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dental issues - Please Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet2012fhl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:53 pm    Post subject: Dental issues - Please Help Reply with quote

I wanted to get some input from the forum. I have an impacted lower canine. This means that I still have my baby tooth (I'm almost in my mid-30s), but it will eventually fall out due to the root resorption.

I wanted to know if anyone has dealt with implants vs bridges. Also, has anyone had an impacted tooth surgically removed?
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a couple of infected bicuspids removed recently. Seemed pretty easy compared to some root canals. My dentist had me off the horn a few days, but not long. I would not worry too much about dental surgery if you have a competent dentist. They have come a long way in my lifetime.

My dentist waited six months for my bone to heal before installing the steel implant base, which was pretty quick and no felt pain, either. Took about a month before he put the crown on the implant. Cost was about $1200 as I recall, with insurance. That was by far the hardest part! The implant is very sturdy. I remember how much trouble my mom had with her bridge, so it was worth it.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
walterswisston

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years ago, I had removed my canine and implanted a new tooth. But to be very frank, I havent met with such an experience. I think It depends upon the structure of your mouth. Try to contact with your dentist or orthodontics treatment . I cannot suggest a better option than that.
trumpet2012fhl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I don't really have a regular dentist. Partially from moving, but also because I have a slight fear of the dentist. I had a dentist Hit the nerve with the numbing one time and I was numb in the bottom half of my jaw for almost a week. The feeling slowly came back, but it was almost a month before I had about 90% feeling.

I'll beat some of you to the punch...I know I just need to suck it up.
bixtone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that it is a good idea to have a mold of your teeth taken so that your replacement teeth can be constructed to match the originals. It seems like a good idea - I have a trumpet playing friend who did not do this and has been really struggling to play after having some dental work done. My dentist was able to 3D scan my teeth without having to make a mold, for a nominal fee.
trumpet2012fhl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bixtone wrote:
I have heard that it is a good idea to have a mold of your teeth taken so that your replacement teeth can be constructed to match the originals.

I've done some research and a lot of the implant places will do a scan to make a plastic drill guide.
trumpet2012fhl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of opening a new thread, I thought I would just add it here. Has anyone done Invisalign as an adult? As a band director, I don't play a ton, but I don't want to screw up my embouchure. My thought was I could take them out when playing my instrument and then put them back on after. Then after it is fixed I can have an implant where my current baby tooth is.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a pretty easy one to solve. The only person who won’t like it is the patient, as they need to change mindset. Seeing as they are a band director, this should be easy!

1. Get a regular dentist, but make it a GOOD one. I had a fear of dentists. My first good dentist talked about this, and he did such a good job, I no longer fear going. Am on my second good dentist, who had an incision e treatment himself.

2. Ask your dentist about how best to proceed. Do NOT listen to us!

3. See your dentist.

4. Do NOT ask us, we are not denitsts!

You’ll soon be fixed up!

Cheers

Andy
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of my Wisdom teeth were impacted and yanked out. This was when I was in the 10th grade ... so quite a while ago.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my wisdom teeth pulled while I was in college. Couldn't really play for a week or two, but it worked out just fine.

This was now, several decades ago. Clinton was president.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet2012fhl wrote:
Instead of opening a new thread, I thought I would just add it here. Has anyone done Invisalign as an adult? As a band director, I don't play a ton, but I don't want to screw up my embouchure. My thought was I could take them out when playing my instrument and then put them back on after. Then after it is fixed I can have an implant where my current baby tooth is.

A fellow I play in a big band with regularly used the Invisilign product while playing a year or so back. He said that his plan was to do what you're talking about: take them out to play and put them back in after. What he discovered was that once his teeth started to shift it was extremely painful to play without the appliances in -- with the support of the appliances it wasn't exactly comfortable but he could play. He struggled a bit but showed up twice a month and played the fourth book competently, but I certainly couldn't ask him to cover any lead parts to give me a break. On a hopeful note, his playing got back to normal pretty quickly after he was finished with the Invisiligns and he surmised that playing throughout the process helped.
Ancientram

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:18 pm    Post subject: Dental Issues Reply with quote

If, as you say, you don't have a regular dentist and you're casting about for one, try contacting the first chair trumpet or horn in the closest professional orchestra or the trumpet or horn prof's at a close university for their suggestion. At least their dentists would be somewhat familiar with the needs of serious brass players.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet2012fhl wrote:

Yes, I went through a 3-yr Invisalign process just a few years ago. Why 3 years? It wasn't because my teeth were abnormally bad. In fact they were fairly straight, but my bite was narrow. This, I believe, inhibited a larger column of air and subsequent influence on the size of the aperture, which hindered my sound from being bigger. My sound is now definitely bigger than before.

Also, the orthodontist that my Pankey dentist recommended had done his Masters thesis on the topic of Invisalign, so he was probably more familiar with it than most, and his idea for me as a long-time professional trumpet player–and after having really listened to my concerns–was to design a treatment strategy with smaller-than-normal increments of change to allow any chop adjustments to more easily occur. Yes, I removed the aligners to practice/play and eat; outside of that, I had them on my teeth.

If you want to hear more, then PM me. I can't type out all of the details right now. I will be so bold as to say that I don't believe it will mess up your embouchure. (But everyone is different, and any kind of change can affect people differently.) BTW, I had been inspired to do this from a colleague, a professional trombonist, who'd just gone through an Invisalign process to do exactly what I was doing in opening up a narrow bite. He noticed that a lot of great symphonic trombone players had larger bites (and head sizes). (BTW, this had been pointed out to me many years before by a tuba player, using Herseth and Phil Smith as examples. I’m not saying this is universally true, but….) Anyway, my trombonist friend figured if he went to an aligner that wasn't quite working, then he'd just go back to the previous aligner on a permanent basis and live out his career with that “position” for his teeth/bite. However, he did complete his full treatment, and his sound is definitely bigger now, and it did not mess with his chops. My sound is bigger as well and totally different and better than before.

Did any of the process mess with my chops? No. But you have to keep in mind that I'd gone through some years battling focal dystonia, and I'd also actually gotten to the place where I didn't care if changing my teeth position messed me up. I felt that if I could come through dystonia, then I could figure out a way to make this work. And, again, my sound is bigger and better than ever before. And my playing is now better than ever before. But that has involved some additional areas of concentration, one of which being a thorough understanding of my embouchure Type according to the Reinhardt Method. You might look into it as well. I now personally feel that understanding the mechanics of our setup as outlined in his teaching would help many to avoid some of the issues I personally had along the way.

As for consulting dentists regarding brass embouchure, I don’t think they know as much as we might think. I was deterred by my former dentist from considering Invisalign, due to the fact that the wife of my trumpet teacher (retired Principal Trumpet in the Houston Sym Orch) was one of his dental hygienists. Through the common referral process, he ended up working on a lot of brass players teeth through the years. I think the fear of changing dental structure like this is prominent and passed down as gospel. I’m not saying that no one would ever have issues, but I think that it is based purely on fear of the unknown, and our basic, “If it works, don’t fix it,” mentality, and “You’re better off just leaving well enough alone.” Boy, this can get into all kinds of mental wrestling and debate. I get it. It can be a scary step, but as my Pankey dentist explained, “The body has a way of making adjustments way beyond our comprehension.” I then adopted the thought that my body would find a way to make any changes work. And it did. That stated, YMMV.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 60-ish an not too long ago I had a top from tooth extracted, both bone and tissue grafting, 2 years of Invisaligns, then implant. Here are a few things that come to mind.

- Try and find a dentist/oral/surgeon/periodontist/orthodontist that have experience with wind music players. My dentist is a flute player and has worked on brass players before with good results.
- Definitely get scans/molds done before they make any changes.
- Post extraction I learned I could play reasonably well with just the top Invisilign in. It wasn't perfect but good enough to play a short run of the Addams Family.
- There was talk of a drill guide but they opted not to.
- Know that everything affects everything. If you have orthodonture then expect that you're embouchure will need to change.

There's plenty more to say on the subject. Feel free to inquire more or PM if you're interested.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: