• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Breslmair vs AR

View previous topic :: View next topic  
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:44 am    Post subject: Breslmair vs AR Reply with quote

It's not a secret that I'm a big fan of the mouthpieces made by Karl Breslmair in Austria. In fact I received yesterday a new Breslmair made underpart, the Kavalinski model which I combine with a GT rand.

https://breslmair.com/en/product/trompetenunterteil-mod-kavalinski/

I bought it for my rotary Twister trumpet but maybe I am also going to use it on piston. BTW it's exactly the combination of cup and bb where I was looking for. I played a G2 on rotary but this new one gives me a less orchestral but much more clear, vocal sound.
And these parts are wonderful made, it's like receiving some jewels in the post. The way it fits together, really wonderful.

Like I said earlier I strongly believe that what we call the 'modern' style mouthpieces, Monette, Lotus, AR, maybe Donat are IMO only trends based on following some Breslmair concepts.

For the diehards, here is a clip of a comparison between Breslmair and AR.
It's in Portuguese but you can have the undertitles translated. Nice player BTW. He prefers the Breslmair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijpTsrMyWsU&ab_channel=SousaTrompete
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Breslmair vs AR Reply with quote

delano wrote:
It's not a secret that I'm a big fan of the mouthpieces made by Karl Breslmair in Austria.

It would probably be fair to also mention that you're not a big fan of the other brands you mentioned in comparison (Monette, Lotus and particularly AR).

That being said, your recent lofty comments about Breslmair did peek my interest. Given your strong opinion against the 'boutique brands' in general, these Breslmair mouthpieces must indeed have something that makes them stand out. If a chance comes around for me to try one of them, I think I'll definitely do so.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, and the video (I'll have to watch it later since I'm currently at work).

And gratz on your new mouthpiece .
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
annvill
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither more nor less than other brands. Some work, some don't, some definitely don't. Tried 2 models...sold after 1 month.

Delano, in my opinion, thinks in closed compartments. Monette, AR and others are evil, Yamaha and Breslmair are good. Then if it costs a lot it is certainly rubbish, but above all the person who buys them is stupid.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks. Mouthpiece business is tricky business. In fact it's not extremely difficult to start your own mouthpiece company. That's the reason there are so many 'boutique' mouthpiecemakers. So I have no problems with boutique mouthpiecemakers in general but I have problems with their price setting. The making of a mouthpiece is not that expensive. You can buy German made mouthpieces for 15 euros. Of course more choice and more complicated two- or three pieces mouthpieces are more expensive.
And I have nothing against Monette, Lotus, AR but I can't try them all, the more if you take in account the financial consequences.
I made a quick review about prices in euros:
Bob Reeves, 239 (Cat Anderson model:498!)
Lotus 149, in bronze 175 (IMO reasonable)
AR, top 105(155 in bronze) bb 105 (also reasonable)
GR, 270
Warburton top 109/129, bb 69
Monette (in US dollar), from Silver series 195 to Resonance 275 (goldplated) to Unity 415 (gold plated.
A one-piece Breslmair mp will set you back 115 eoro, a two-piece (underpart and rand) 160, a three-piece (rand, cup, bb) 193.
And this is absolute top quality manufacturing and R&D, and an enormous choice..
Everybody can make up his own mind.
annvill
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The companies mentioned are among the best in the world for the production of mouthpieces. They invest in research more than anyone else. Are the prices high? Possible, but the quality of their products, in terms of object, construction, plating and....sound is definitely superior to a Yamaha or Breslmair or others. Then certainly not everyone can like a Monette (I'm not crazy about it), but the fact remains that their product is above average and by a lot.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annvill, when you say " they invest in research" would you mind telling us what that entails and how do you know this? I would assume that there is a lot of trial and error that goes on. Is that what you mean by research? As far as manufacturing goes, most mouthieces are made by cnc lathe. Don't assume that a 15 euro mouthpiece is lower quality than a 200 euro mouthpiece, although the more expensive mouthpiece might suit you better. That is the result of the design. I think it is wrong to assume that more expensive mouthpieces are better as a rule. Just my opinion.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the AR pieces for no other reason that they work for me (better than anything else I have tried so far). They are very nicely made, they do what they are supposed to do and customer service is impeccable. I have tried to understand Breslmair but their website is so absolutely generic and utterly useless that I feel no desire to further explore their pieces.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose, you are right about the Breslmair website. It used to be much better, but in trying to improve it , they made it worse. I couldn't find the Breslmair cup that I have when I looked on their website today. I had them cut off a rim of a Yamaha mouthpiece and thread it to fit their cup. When I mentioned to them that the rim that came with a 3 piece mouthpiece that they made (the orchestra ordered Schagerl trumpets and sent us mouthpieces with them) was the right diameter, but the wrong contour ( a copy of a Bach rim), they insisted that their copy was correct. Anyway, the mouthpiece I have is good for playing second trumpet on rotary trumpet. I certainly wouldn't dismiss their mouthpieces as not being good, although I only tried one, but my days of buying mouthpieces are over. There is only so much a mouthpiece can do for you, the rest is proper technique, and a lot of practice.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I guess I’m done buying mouthpieces as well. The majority is AR, then I have my Curry 7TC for THAT SOUND plus a Warburton for super loud playing. Below 10 pieces in total, including flugel, cornet, and bass trumpet/baritone.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

annvill wrote:
The companies mentioned are among the best in the world for the production of mouthpieces. They invest in research more than anyone else. Are the prices high? Possible, but the quality of their products, in terms of object, construction, plating and....sound is definitely superior to a Yamaha or Breslmair or others. Then certainly not everyone can like a Monette (I'm not crazy about it), but the fact remains that their product is above average and by a lot.

I’m not sure you are serious so I will not comment this.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

annvill wrote:
Neither more nor less than other brands. Some work, some don't, some definitely don't. Tried 2 models...sold after 1 month.

Delano, in my opinion, thinks in closed compartments. Monette, AR and others are evil, Yamaha and Breslmair are good. Then if it costs a lot it is certainly rubbish, but above all the person who buys them is stupid.

Did I say that? Fantasy can be a good thing but obviously not for everyone.
Just_Another_Hack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried a few Breslmair mouthpieces. Nothing to write home about. Certainly not as easy to play as Monette.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bragging again. Better stop this foolish thing.
Just_Another_Hack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Bragging again. Better stop this foolish thing.

I'm not sure that "bragging" has the same meaning in the Netherlands as it does in the United States.
ALETRUMPET

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked them for something similar to the Bach 3C. I don't remember the acronym Breslmair. I remember circle was not for me, more difficult to play than Bach. Good maybe for others. The site is incomprehensible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: