• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Euphonium Shank Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: Euphonium Shank Question Reply with quote

I know I'm stretching the definition of "Other Toys" somewhat, but does anyone know what the right mouthpiece shank is for a Besson Sovereign euphonium? Does this matter? Thanks!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are several euph mpc shank sizes. A starting point would be to measure the ID at the end of the mpc receiver. I think 2 sizes are 'small t-bone', and 'large t-bone'.

With my old 3-V Buescher euph, I had to make a small ring to fit on the open end of the mpc shank to prevent the mpc from rocking. Both the mpc and the instrument are very old, so I don't know if either of them meet any current size spec. I only play it for yearly Tuba Christmas, so I'm interested in basic functionality, not costly actions for 'best performance'.

I made the ring from a brass plumbing compression fitting - It needed to be enlarged slightly (stretched on a tapered mandrel) for a tight fit on the shank, and then sanded down to an OD that gave decent fit.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are four different shank sizes for euphoniums. And that is not counting some odd ones for vintage instruments. You may need either a large shank or European shank which is smaller.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For euphonium my go to sites are David Werden's forum and reddit's euphonium page. You could post a picture/model number and they'd let you know.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Euphonium Shank Question Reply with quote

Steve A wrote:
I know I'm stretching the definition of "Other Toys" somewhat, but does anyone know what the right mouthpiece shank is for a Besson Sovereign euphonium? Does this matter? Thanks!

It's likely a large shank (aka bass trombone, etc) if it's a relatively recent Besson (from the past 40 years).

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthread.php/22786-Euphonium-Shank-Sizes

But, most Euphoniums that aren't student line are large shank. At least that's what my experience in teaching and music retail gives me. But, I'm not exactly an expert on low brass.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I do know about euphonium shanks - I make low brass mouthpieces.

A Besson Sovereign euphonium will have a standard large shank (same as bass trombone), or if it's a very old Besson it may have a medium euphonium shank, depending on when it was made. And sometimes people change the receiver, so you have to see what's there.

A large shank mouthpiece is very close to 1/2" (.500) at the end of the shank. A medium shank is about 15/32" at the end. I'm assuming you don't have calipers to make an accurate measurement.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Elliott wrote:
Well I do know about euphonium shanks - I make low brass mouthpieces.

A Besson Sovereign euphonium will have a standard large shank (same as bass trombone), or if it's a very old Besson it may have a medium euphonium shank, depending on when it was made. And sometimes people change the receiver, so you have to see what's there.

A large shank mouthpiece is very close to 1/2" (.500) at the end of the shank. A medium shank is about 15/32" at the end. I'm assuming you don't have calipers to make an accurate measurement.

This is great - thanks! I'm going to be borrowing the instrument, so I don't have it yet, but it's almost certainly not meaningfully old or modified, so the standard large shank sounds like the likely winner. Much appreciated!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: