• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dillon Rose Brass Flugelhorn Review

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BreakFromTheHerd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update ...

The threads have finally broken in, and, so, the top caps screw on much easier now.

Yes, Bach-type (small morse taper) mouthpieces fit best. The Curry universal shank also fits well.

My Stork mouthpiece is very long, but it sounds and plays great with this horn.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play on a weekly basis with a fellow who has had a Dillon rose-brass doubler's flugel for quite a while now -- on the order of five years. He was visiting family out east and stopped by Dillon in person, tried out the two rose-brass flugels they had in stock, and bought the one he preferred. This guy is a retired college prof who plays a lot of flugel and could easily afford a much more expensive instrument, but he plays the Dillon because of the excellent intonation.

The third-slide trigger mount broke off twice. He didn't get it repaired the second time, just removed the rest of the trigger hardware and he's played it without a trigger ever since. The valves still work fine. He never mentioned the threads on the caps. The finish is showing considerable wear -- much more than on other lacquered horns he owns that he's played for a lot longer.

I sat beside him on a gig earlier tonight and listened to him solo on multiple tunes on the Dillon (as I have many times before). He and the horn both sounded great.
Flugler1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined a sextet in 1980 and the leader wanted my playing flugelhorn rather than trumpet to blend in better with the other two horns. My local vendors had several brands, and I settled on a 3 valve Getzen Eterna. I played it for over 20 years, until I discovered two notes that were out of tune. (G and F on the staff). I then set out on a quest for a replacement. Went through several instruments and discovered that intonation can be quirky, even on high end instruments. I had a Schilke that had poor intonation. I recently tried a Conn Vintage 1 that had one note 1/2 tone flat. Same problem with a more recent very fancy high end Schilke. When I was in New Jersey visiting family, I stopped into Dillons. They had one of their flugels on the used rack. I played it for an hour or more, testing intonation on every note with an electronic tuner. It was dead on, so I bought it. That was 5 or 6 years ago, and I am still playing it. I found out recently that it was cloned from the early (1970's) Yamaha 631. A friend has that older Yamaha, and the horns play identically. There are downsides to the Dillon. My trigger came off. Also, the lacquer is showing a lot of wear. But valves, slides are all fine. Looked at a new 631, but it is much brighter than the Dillon. Not the sound I like in a flugelhorn. In terms of Chinese clones, you can get Dillon or Doubler, but the Dillon is quite a bit cheaper. Never tried the Doubler, but I'm guessing they're similar.
ivansgarage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:43 am    Post subject: Bought a Dillion FlugelHorn Reply with quote

Love it...

http://ivanbennett.com/flugelhorn2.jpg

Last edited by ivansgarage on Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:10 pm; edited 4 times in total
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's look at this horn for what it is - a good but inexpensive copy of the Yamaha 631. That's why they play and perform so well.

I bought an Austin Custom Brass/ACB Doubler back in 2013. (essentially the same horn as the Dillon) I bought it because I'd sold my Kanstul that I'd had for a while, but I found myself in need of a flugel again and I had a budget for a $500 flugel - I did not have the budget for a $1000+ flugel.

With that said, I've never felt the need to replace it for the reason that it plays so similarly to the Yamaha 631s I've A/B'd with, that there's no need - it does everything I need it to do.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: