• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What horn do you primarily play and why?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr oakmount
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daily practice / take it to a rehersal where you are not sure what is required - trumpet is an old Yamaha 6335HG that my tech fitted with a gold brass leadpipe and adjustable gap receiver. It has a good core, excellent slotting and blends well with the other usual suspects. I can also dial in warmth/brightness with the cup/back bore.

That's my "middle ground horn".
From there I can see if I need more brightness/openess (Adams A5), more power or flexibility (Conn B6) or the Austro/German classical/traditional sound (Votruba rotary).

I know Yammies are often considered "vanilla" or "unexciting", but this one has never sold me short or let me down.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr oakmount wrote:

I know Yammies are often considered "vanilla" or "unexciting", but this one has never sold me short or let me down.

Fortunately that’s only a TH thing.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olds Recording. Many players view their instrument as ‘merely a tool’. Maybe it’s the virtue of only being an amateur player, but to me this Recording means much more. The design is probably considered somewhat quirky these days, but it fits my personality. It plays and sounds like a dream; and some of my best trumpet memories were played using this horn, some of them as recent as last week.

Frankly, I do not see myself playing anything else (modern or vintage) and if anything ever happened to it, I’m not sure I’d keep playing. It just makes me happy when I play it, in a way that no other horn does.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces

Last edited by stuartissimo on Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:40 am; edited 2 times in total
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach Strad, 37 bell.. on my 3rd currently, a 19037 "Anniversary".

Tone, Clarity of articulation, & consistency throughout the notes I know how to play.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The right tool for the job...both with horns and mouthpieces-

Hard to beat a Benge or Calicchio for commercial stuff.
I'm really liking the Del Quadro for playing in church, and
a 40's Olds Super for some smokey jazz!

But I recently got a Scodwell that I'm messing around with too,
this is just too much fun!
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schilke B3L (Bb)
Yamaha 1st Gen Chicago C
Yamaha 946 (C rotor)
Schike P5-4
Schilke E2 (Eb/D)
Bach 184 Cornet

Lots of other stuff I don't play much but have lying around
thefish1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:15 pm    Post subject: What horn do you primarily and why? Reply with quote

My primary horn is a vintage 1972 King Silver Flair. It is built better than any "super horn" of today and it runs circles around anything that is out there. It slots well and it is a very versatile horn able to play anything from classical to jazz to solo work. It works for me. "In my opinion."
Vintage 1965 King Cleveland Superior Cornet
Vintage 1965 King Herald Trumpet
Vintage 1977 Benge Flugelhorn #5 Bell
Vintage 1918 KING Liberty 1050
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have considered all of the Bbs in my signature as favorites at one time or another based on the requirements of my current gigs. I have been traveling much over the last few months and as those requirements change, I have various combinations of horns available for daily use!

If there was only one horn for me to use for my Bb choice, it would be my NY7! I do use my Bach CL more often than anything else for most of my performance situations though, and it is a wonderfully joyful instrument to play. I do practice very often with my Bach 184 Cornet and get substantial pleasure from that one as well!

I would say that I am most thankful for all of the horns at my disposal, and find no need for anything else.

Life is short, find the Joy in it!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yamaha 8310ZII.

I'm a huge fan of the Z trumpet ever since I played my friends in college in 2009. He ended up dropping out of music school and selling it to me. I really liked how it looked, felt, responded, and sounded right away.

I still have that horn he sold me, and also got the second generation which is my main horn for all types of gigs. I've played a few different horns over the years intermittently, but the sound and ease of playing of the Shew has always been unmatched for me. I always feel at home on it and the sound resonates with me. I know that I get a special sound on the Shew that I haven't found on other horns, and it's a sound that is not chained to one type of music. It's just a warm, soulful, lively sound. I play it in every kind of situation. Tons of wedding bands, salsa, jazz, brass quintets, funk, classical recitals. I don't see myself ever switching off it unless they make a 3rd generation.
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah interesting to think about...for many years I only played a Yamaha 634, because that was the only trumpet I had, so it appeared in Orchestra, Concert Band, Rock/Pop, Big Band, whatever I was doing at the time. For Brass Band, it was whatever the Band gave me, so usually a Globe Stamp Sovereign.

Then I got older and had money...over the years I've had several Olds (Studio, Super), Other Yams (732, 6335).

You can see in my sig what I own now, but I pretty much only play three of those horns for gigs - the others are "funtime" horns mostly for home use.

For Brass Band I use the Shepherd's crook Ambassador - really and truly one of the great cornets. Spent a long time looking for one, and I'll never get rid of it.

For Big Band and amplified stuff I use the Kanstul 1001 with my ACB mpc. Really light and responsive, with a great bright tone and quite a bit of cut-through - a really great horn.

For Classical and such I use the Kanstul 700 - it is such a great horn - solid, but with a really clear sound that blends easily, and nicely mpc sensitive. These horns are real sleepers....

Cheers,
Roger
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Mpc. - ACB 3CS, ACB 3ES, Curry 3BBC, Kanstul FB Flugel
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: what horn do you primarily play and why Reply with quote

Yamaha lacquered Shew Gen II. It will do anything I ask of it.

Butch
TRUMPE: SCHILKE B7 / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT1" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarolBrass Andrea Giuffredi Model.

Most versatile trumpet I have owned. I'm a freelancer for a living. My playing is probably 70% commercial, but I teach a lot of private lessons, play in a brass quintet, and do a fair amount of church work. Soul, funk, rock, salsa, merengue, big band lead, small group jazz, broadway shows, classical, etc. Change your approach and your mouthpiece (if necessary) and you can play anything.

I've owned several Bach 37s, 72*, 43*, Eclipse Medium Classic, Yamaha 8335LA Gen 1, Schilke S42HD, Schilke S32, Lawler 25H, Yamaha 6320 (my backup), Benge 3X+, Olds Super, etc. Not sure why the CB AG is better than all of these (for me), but it just is.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it's pretty evenly split between my Bach 72 bell for concert bands and other settings that require a Bachy sound, and my Kanstul 991 for jazz and lead playing. I've had my Bach for nearly three decades and now it like the back of my hand, and it blends into sections of Bachs and Yammies as it should, but damn that Kanstul and its medium bore are efficient. It gets the nod for the long gigs - I can play it comfortably for hours longer than the Strad.

Secret love is my Connstellation cornet, which I would play everywhere if I could. There's just something about the feel of it... it's like an old-school Mercedes-Benz: built like a tank and designed to last lifetimes.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
kurth83

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Schilke fan, especially love the sound of their C's, and the efficiency and responsiveness across their entire lineup (and their valves...).

for Bb's it's a B6 (for light work) and for heavier work an X4.
for C's it's a C6 (for light work), and for heavier work a CX4.
pic p5-4BG

Last edited by kurth83 on Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to be a one-trumpet guy - whatever trumpet I'm currently playing is my go-to trumpet. Right now, in light of the fact that soon I have to give the Shires Model B back to the National Guard before I retire in a couple of months, I'm back on my Jupiter 1600i.

It's a good trumpet in a lot of ways - it slots well while maintaining flexibility, and the sound is great if I'm playing in a classic rock band. It has a nice solid core of sound as well, although the character of sound isn't particularly well suited for classical playing.

There are two notes on this trumpet that I distinctly dislike. The 4th line D is very flat, and the 1st ledger B natural is sharp. Most of the time I can get by with that and I don't mind it.

A trumpet that has intrigued me a bit in reading about it, although I have never personally played one, is the Yamaha 8310z. I've read that this horn, although designed as a lead horn and for playing jazz, is actually a great all-around trumpet. There are at least two people in this thread saying the same thing. It has me intrigued enough that I'm probably going to look into getting one.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trickg, you may indeed like the Z. I playtested it a few times and was intrigued by the variety of sounds I could get. Only thing that took me getting used to is that “going full throttle” felt very different compared to the Bach I have been playing for 30 years. Cool looks, too, withe the Schilke lookalike design.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
A trumpet that has intrigued me a bit in reading about it, although I have never personally played one, is the Yamaha 8310z. I've read that this horn, although designed as a lead horn and for playing jazz, is actually a great all-around trumpet. There are at least two people in this thread saying the same thing. It has me intrigued enough that I'm probably going to look into getting one.

If I wasn't happy with my CarolBrass AG, I would very likely be on a 8310ZII or 8335LAII. Spent a few minutes with an 8310ZII a few years ago and was extremely impressed. One of the best production horns out there.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
jeirvine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For orchestra, my trusty 1968 Bach 239.

For most everything else my Olds Recording usually gets the nod. It just feels effortless - like riding a bike that "disappears under you."
1947 Olds Super Cornet
1948 Couesnon flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special
1956 Martin Committee
1964 Olds Recording
1968 Bach 329 C
1996 Bach 37
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
I tend to be a one-trumpet guy - whatever trumpet I'm currently playing is my go-to trumpet. Right now, in light of the fact that soon I have to give the Shires Model B back to the National Guard before I retire in a couple of months, I'm back on my Jupiter 1600i.

It's a good trumpet in a lot of ways - it slots well while maintaining flexibility, and the sound is great if I'm playing in a classic rock band. It has a nice solid core of sound as well, although the character of sound isn't particularly well suited for classical playing.

There are two notes on this trumpet that I distinctly dislike. The 4th line D is very flat, and the 1st ledger B natural is sharp. Most of the time I can get by with that and I don't mind it.

Fourth line D and fourth space E are still flat on the Shew
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
trickg wrote:

Fourth line D and fourth space E are still flat on the Shew

Those notes are low on a Bach too, but the 4th line D on the Jupiter is so low that when I first got it I would sometimes split up to the next partial in my attempts to lip it up.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: