• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rozhok- Russian “Cornette”

View previous topic :: View next topic  
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:57 am    Post subject: Rozhok- Russian “Cornette” Reply with quote

The rozhok is a homemade instrument made by Russian shepherds… I know. It sounds like it needs a punchline or it a punchline. Although it looks like a recorder, it is has a trumpet-like mouthpiece, so it has a place on this forum. A friend wants to make one. When you look at the range of them, some look like a junior high student project, while others are quite nice. The music is not quite my cup of tea, but I am a jazzer, so what do I know? Does anyone have any experience with rozhoks?

Link

1963 Connstellation
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject: Russian folk cornetto Reply with quote

Years ago I ran across an article on rozhoks when I was researching information on medieval-renaissance cornetti. They are also known as Vladimir trumpets. (I think Rozhok means "trumpet".) They differ from cornetti in that they are made exclusively from wood, carved in two pieces, then bound in glued bark. Cornetti, OTOH, may be carved from wood or ivory then glued together in two pieces, then bound in leather. Rozhok also flare to large bells at the end of their tubes. Cornetti also were often curved to make it easier for players to reach the holes at the end of their tubes.

I'm not sure if there is a clear historical connection between the two instruments. For example, the cornetto basically being a concert hall instrument descended from instruments like rozhoks, like in the same way shawms are the noisier rustic ancestors of oboes. However, rozhoks and cornetti may be descended from a common ancestor.

There were few resources in English when I tried looking up more information on rozhoks. I don't speak or read Russian, but I also got the impression that there wasn't much information on the Internet about them at the time in any language. Rozhoks seem to be used in consorts or rozhok-only ensembles, and they are folk instruments intended for a specific sub-genre in Russian folk music. Maybe there is a revival going in Russian folk music, and there are more rozhok ensembles out there.
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Russian folk cornetto Reply with quote

Didymus wrote:
Years ago I ran across an article on rozhoks when I was researching information on medieval-renaissance cornetti. They are also known as Vladimir trumpets. (I think Rozhok means "trumpet".) They differ from cornetti in that they are made exclusively from wood, carved in two pieces, then bound in glued bark. Cornetti, OTOH, may be carved from wood or ivory then glued together in two pieces, then bound in leather. Rozhok also flare to large bells at the end of their tubes. Cornetti also were often curved to make it easier for players to reach the holes at the end of their tubes.

I'm not sure if there is a clear historical connection between the two instruments. For example, the cornetto basically being a concert hall instrument descended from instruments like rozhoks, like in the same way shawms are the noisier rustic ancestors of oboes. However, rozhoks and cornetti may be descended from a common ancestor.

There were few resources in English when I tried looking up more information on rozhoks. I don't speak or read Russian, but I also got the impression that there wasn't much information on the Internet about them at the time in any language. Rozhoks seem to be used in consorts or rozhok-only ensembles, and they are folk instruments intended for a specific sub-genre in Russian folk music. Maybe there is a revival going in Russian folk music, and there are more rozhok ensembles out there.

Thanks, Didymus. All Information is useful.

1963 Connstellation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: