• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dental question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NordicNorm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:03 am    Post subject: Dental question Reply with quote

In high school I had a solid A above the staff (and could hit double C on a good day). For the next 25 years, I focused on my education, career and having kids. Since 1998, I've been playing (and practicing) consistently in big bands and orchestras.

Despite studying under a very good teacher for the past 4 years, I struggle to play serviceable notes above a high E (I can occasionally hit a high F but it's not consistent) .

Between high school and starting back up again, I had all 4 molars pulled in my upper jaw, my right molar removed in my lower jaw as well as 4 wisdom teeth.

I understand that replacing these missing teeth with an appliance (bridge) would change my oral cavity, but I'm wondering if it would make a difference to my range?
Cornet: ‘84 Bach Strad 184 Shepherd’s Crook
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that those missing rear molars make any difference.

I suggest that you try some small changes (not an embouchure change), in these areas:
1) Tongue position, arch, and effort as it affects your lips and jaw. The tongue 'position' itself doesn't do anything - only the resulting muscle action that produces changes to the lips and aperture.
2) Distribution of rim pressure between upper and lower lips for different ranges.
3) Using jaw to adjust and control the rim pressure on lower lip - not necessarily jaw in/out movement, just the rim pressure.

Are you experiencing stopping of lip vibration due to rim pressure, or inability to generate adequate internal air pressure to give air flow?

Lip has to be flexible enough to vibrate
Air pressure has to be enough to make it
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
NordicNorm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for chiming in Jay!

I'd say probably too much rim pressure in the upper register.
Cornet: ‘84 Bach Strad 184 Shepherd’s Crook
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You’ll need to talk to your dentist. But, contrary to some opinions, the back of your oral cavity will affect your playing. Possibly.

I did have 3 remaining wisdom teeth removed, and it did affect my playing. Being younger and dumber at the end of last century, I worked to bulldoze my way through. That wasn’t a stellar success.

Some rethinking, a mouthpiece change, and a some dedicated practice helped a lot.

Cheers

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: