• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

James R. New Mouthpieces Review

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah man! I have the Jim Manley models.. The Lead3 and Jazz1 - based on the MF design.. VERY big sounds on these pieces. I also have the 2 new flugel models Jim New made for Manley and myself and they are also outstanding all-around flugel pieces with a lot of overtones in the sound. One is a little brighter than the other and they have the same Maynard style rims as the trumpet pieces. Best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ljazztrm wrote:
Yeah man! I have the Jim Manley models.. The Lead3 and Jazz1 - based on the MF design.. VERY big sounds on these pieces. I also have the 2 new flugel models Jim New made for Manley and myself and they are also outstanding all-around flugel pieces with a lot of overtones in the sound. One is a little brighter than the other and they have the same Maynard style rims as the trumpet pieces. Best, Lex

I just reached out to Jim for some flugel pieces.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have his Lynn Nicholson Personal mouthpiece and really like it.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ljazztrm wrote:

Jim's one of the best in the mouthpiece biz!
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an S4MS and an S4MD with S and P backbores.

I wanted a 3C-ish rim profile in a 5C-ish diameter. The S4 rim is the closest solution I’ve been able to find.

I try to play a little of everything and these two are great for me.

I’m not sure what I’m going to do with all the time I’m not going to spend acclimating to all the mouthpieces I'm not going to try in the future.
Jonesie
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have his copy of the GR Bergeron rim on a Warburton s cup ,its fantastic !!
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has a scan of the GR Bergeron? That's interesting to know
Jonesie
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and its spot on!
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome... Looks like it's time for me to email James again haha Would love to have one as a top to try out!!!
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, has anyone tried James' ES cup? Any thoughts?
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So y'all know, James has a scan of both the GR Bergeron Studio and Classic.
Of course, if you want the GR, go buy one from Wayne's website! But if you want some variation of either that GR don't offer, such as a different diameter or cup, or it made as a top only, etc it might be something useful to know!

On another note, I purchased one of Jameson CAT mouthpieces ages ago, and I really like it. I don't know how close it is to Cat's actual mouthpiece as all the other replicas I've seen around the place have had much smaller diameters, but I actually really like it! It is very shallow but not unplayable for me and is capable of putting out a huge sound. Although if I'm not careful I fall in a little too much and the sound gets a bit gross...
Which is why James is making me a top with the same rim but with his ES cup instead which is comparatively a fair bit deeper even though it's his most shallow cup. We'll see!
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
Also, has anyone tried James' ES cup? Any thoughts?

I have an ES top in about a 1-1/2 diameter which I sometimes use screwed onto a Giardinelli 4 backbore. One would expect such a mouthpiece to feel tiny, but the diameter and undercut give it quite a bit of room, so bottoming out isn't an issue for me.

Sound...very intense, very in-your-face. Brilliant. Definitely a commercial/jazz sound, but I wouldn't try to play lead on it. Not enough chop support (for me) for sustained upper register work (above High C).

I was demonstrating various piccolo mouthpieces for my wife to hear the difference. When I started playing this one paired with a Warburton 10 backbore, she immediately stopped me because it was too much and hurt her ears.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Thanks for the description. Am not too worried about being too bright although interesting about not feeling enough support with that cup.
What do you usually play for extended upper register playing?
SatchmoGillespie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happened across Jim's table at ITG in San Antonio this past May because a friend of mine needed me to pick up his mouthpiece for him since he had a last minute change of plans. I went over to his table and met him and his lovely wife. I looked around and didn't really think much about getting a new piece, but then I started looking even more and was really fascinated. I started out with one of his Al Cass tops and his "C" backbore. Nice combo but it was more for playing around and having fun. I then came back and got a little more serious with him. I ended up getting two S5 tops M and MS. Something about this particular top has clicked with me even more than the GR 3 series I was using. I got to liking them so much that I sold all my GR pieces and ordered 1 piece versions of the S5 M and MS cups with the C backbore in a Monette LT blank. I couldn't be happier with his work. He is great to work with and just a really nice man. I told my friend that I blame him for going down this rabbit hole.
Getzen Severinsen
Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
Interesting. Thanks for the description. Am not too worried about being too bright although interesting about not feeling enough support with that cup.
What do you usually play for extended upper register playing?

The lack of support could come from some other factor, such as an acoustical mismatch between the backbore, throat and cup, or a gap issue. It's not a Jim New backbore I use with it, but a Kanstul copy of a Giardinelli 4. I'd like to try it with other backbores, but all of my others have 24 throats and this thing has a 27, so not the best match on the others.

A 1-1/2B or 1-1/2C will get me up to an F or G above High C when I need it (not too often) and I'll do fine. But to be honest, I don't do a whole lot of extended upper register playing except when I'm playing piccolo, where I use a 7E or, if I want a somewhat mellower sound, a 7D. If I really want to mellow it out, I have a Kanstul B7D Woody, but if I'm playing that in an ensemble I tend to blow my brains out trying to hear myself.

If I have to do more than occasional upper register stuff, I have a couple pieces Jon Lewis made while he was at Marcinkiewicz that are brilliant in design as well as the GR he uses. All work well for me when I need a zestier sound.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
pushyred
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Lead-line Shear model Reply with quote

Well hello there trumpet herald. I don't think I've posted here in three or four years.

Anyway I had to play West side story two weekends in a row… Oh joy! I made it through the first weekend and nobody knew how much I hurt… But I hurt. SoI took a chance after studying the specs and ordered Jim's lead line Shear model. I am extremely impressed with this mouthpiece as well as Jim's amazing customer service. Somewhere down the line I may prefer something with a little bit more bite but this is one of the few lead style mouthpieces that allows me to get to the top of my range strong big and bright and then turn the page and play a ballad without sounding like a duck with a sinus infection. So now it's a week later and I'm supposed to be taking time off The horn But this mouthpiece is so much fun to play I can't stop myself. Locking the horns in the closet until Tuesday. Kudos all around to James!
lmaraya
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,
Is James New still in businesses?
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmaraya wrote:

Have you tried contacting him and not had any success?

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmaraya wrote:
Hello all,

His website is still up: https://james-r-new.com
bigbrowncow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmaraya wrote:
Hello all,

I’ve been in contact with him today. Definitely still in business.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: