• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

conn VI ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scrapiron

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:07 pm    Post subject: conn VI ? Reply with quote

anyone really digging on their Conn Vintage One?
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never owned one but a while back I had a trumpet testing day at FMB, one of the large German retailers. Spent a whole day there and the Conn V1 was the winner along with two Bach 43. Beat all the other Bachs, Yamahas, Adams, B&S, … (no Schilke in the lineup that day). Lighter and broader sounding than the 43 but a very responsive and versatile horn. Good valves, too. If I was in the market for a new horn, the V1 would be one of the top candidates.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
trumpetsnack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had always been curious about these instruments. I was recently able to find Conn V1 (1B-34) on the cheap and just took delivery of it a couple of days ago, so not much more than initial impressions at the moment. But I will say that it has a very "proper" trumpet sound. Compared to my Bach (72G*) the sound seems ever so slightly darker- I think it's moreso that it's lacking some of the higher overtones that gives that sparkle in the sound that the Bach has. Very nice though, at least it seems to suit my sound preferences. The other thing I've noticed right off the bat is how much "punch" there is to the sound when articulated- big fat blocks of sound, makes me want to channel some early Freddie Hubbard! Also I found the short throw vales very, very easy to get used to. Overall it seems like a really nice horn and I'm looking forward to spending more time with it!
scrapiron

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:42 am    Post subject: conn VI Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I love my old conn horns. I have a 1952 n.y. symphony and a 1954-55 20b which according to the loyalist is a pretty rare horn-only made for 2 years as a prototype for future development. You hardly ever see these for sale. Don't let the marching men on the bell fool you. The 20b is the best horn I've ever played. Far out performs the 22b in every way and the several yamahas I've owned. It crushes them all including my 8310z which to me is a lightweight with a weak bottom end. The 20b dominates in the low register w/o giving up its potential great upper register slotting. range and control. My question is- does the conn VI resemble its ancestors?
ytr-8310z
ytr-1st gen 8345GS
1949 Reynolds Contempora Leonard Smith cornet
1952 22b
1954 20b
krell1960
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: conn VI ? Reply with quote

scrapiron wrote:
anyone really digging on their Conn Vintage One?

My Conn V1 is a great sounding instrument, coloring the sound is easy with mouthpiece changes. I've used it in all styles, Jazz, R&B, Church, Classical.
It blens well with Bach's in Classical settings, plus i really like the short throw valves. Just a great all around horn.

tom
romajore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The V1s are not really anything like older Conns. They use some similar design features like the straight braces. They were a complete redesign by Fred Powell, not based on any prior Conn design.

They are very nice horns. There is probably a combination that fits most any player between the different leadpipe, tuning slide, and bell combinations.

I own two, a 1-SB 46 with reverse leadpipe which is a really free blowing horn with the rounded tuning slide. The second one is a gold plated standard tuning slide I think 1-B, with what I believe is a custom leadpipe that Gary Radkte designed. This is my main horn.

It’s a shame they are no longer made, though if one has the money, you can buy a Fred Powell Custom trumpet, that I’m guessing is similar only better.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love the sound I get with my Vintage 1. It reminds me a lot of the Conn 28B I played for 12 years ( 1953 to 1965 ). I gave up playing in the middle of 1965 and sold the 28B. I truly loved that horn and kick myself in the ass every time I remember selling it. But playing the Vintage 1 almost makes up for it.
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:47 pm    Post subject: Why?! Reply with quote

romajore wrote:
---snip---
It’s a shame they are no longer made, though if one has the money, you can buy a Fred Powell Custom trumpet, that I’m guessing is similar only better.

Why?! Is it because the parent company that makes VB Strads doesn't want in-house competition? So many people loved the Conn V1 when it was first introduced, and it doesn't seem to me like the enthusiasm has waned. I never saw any statistical proof that players who bought a Conn V1 would have definitely bought a Bach Stradivarius had the former been unavailable. Funny thing how the company keeps the V1 flugelhorn in their catalog.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was fortunate to get a V1 the year it was introduced, and while Fred Powell was still involved with Conn. My understanding is that the quality of manufacturing dropped a bit after Powell's departure and sales began to suffer. I can't say this for sure, but a drop in sales may be the reason why the V1 stopped being made.

George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: