• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Two questions about Jet Tones.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. From what I gather, the mouthpieces are too bright for me.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:53 am    Post subject: Jet-Tone's too bright? Reply with quote

The Doc Severinsen Jet-Tone is virtually a Bach 5C. Plays with the same qualities as the Bach and hardly bright.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
chase1973
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several non-lead Jet-Tone models:
T3, models 3-4 & 7-8 plus the DS (Severinsen model)-

Clark Terry didn't play a Jet-Tone even though a piece was made for him-he told Ray Amado it was ok to use his image in the catalog.

Thad Jones & Benny Bailey played the Al Hirt model

Snooky Young used his custom Ray Amado built model from 1963 until he stopped playing around 2005

Mic Gillette & Arnie Chycoski used the Studio D models

Sam Noto I think used the 2B model as did Jimmy Maxwell

Ernie Royal used a 3D model

Stan Mark & Alan Wise both used the Studio B models before Alan went to Schilke/Laskey

Bernie Glow & Claude Gordon had models made...

Bob McCoy used a 3A as did Ted Piercefield

Vinnie Tanno used the DS model

Lynn Nicholson began on a T1A with a #23 throat then switched to an Al Hirt top with the reamer used on the Severinsen backbore and a #28 throat

Bill Chase had a custom model Ray Amado made in a standard blank, not the skeletonized blank sold to the public-Bill's model had a B rim with the same convex cup used on his custom Schilke pieces (now ava as a custom model and also copied by Legends on the BC Master)-the entrance to the throat was a #26 but dropped tighter
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denny Schreffler wrote:
rap wrote:
I seem to remember the Jet-Tone brochure had Clark Terry and Bobby Hackett using their mouthpieces.

And,

Benny Bailey

Thad Jones

Dr. Ted Crager 

Bobby Bryant

Jack Wheaton

Jimmy McPartland

Eddie Engels

Frankie Brown, although usually considered a lead player, Frank did it it all using Ratzenberger-era …
•Al Hirt, A rim
•Studio, A rim
•Symphony, A rim

—Denny

Jet Tone sent Rolf Smedvig a bunch of Jet Tones but he didn't play them on gigs as far as I know. His picture was in the ad at one time.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit off topic, but back around 1971 I traded my college teacher a gold plated Schilke 15 for Jet Tone 3A. I used it for years in big band and rock bands, then put it away for 50 years or so. Getting ready to play a show last summer, I found it, cleaned it up and played on it a while. Like an old friend, and am still using it for shows and pop stuff in orchestras.

Anyone know the specs on this thing, I wouldn't mind getting a copy made but only if it's a true copy. This piece is quite a bit "deeper" than the Stahl, DS and AH models I also have lying around from the old days. 3 rim perhaps Bach 7C or smaller? Can't tell much because for years I used big stuff- Schilke 19 and the like.

Somewhere in my stacks I have an old 1970 era Jet Tone brochure which explains all this but I haven't started digging. Among those listed earlier, I know Lynn Nicholson was also on it, but he was at the time, obviously a lead-type player. I know the brochure is in there somewhere with Kenny Bloomquist's old Getzen Pedal Tone brochure and a lot of other old esoteric stuff.
DoubleEagle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject: No-Name Jet Tone Reply with quote

So I just purchased something that looks like a Jet Tone, but doesn't say Jet Tone. It does say 4C, and appears to have a brushed body. Were there ever any of these released without the name stamp?
Benge CG, Early '70s Selmer piccolo, Early '80s Selmer piccolo, Conn 12A cornet, Conn 38A cornet, Conn 48A Connqueror "Vocabell", Conn Connquest 76A cornet, Conn Director 17A Coprion cornet, Conn Director 15A cornet, '50 Olds valve/slide trombone
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144844528166

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
DoubleEagle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:56 pm    Post subject: No-name Jet Tone Reply with quote

Well, mine isn't gold plated like the eBay photo. It actually looks hand stamped since the 4 and the C aren't actually on the same plane exactly.
Benge CG, Early '70s Selmer piccolo, Early '80s Selmer piccolo, Conn 12A cornet, Conn 38A cornet, Conn 48A Connqueror "Vocabell", Conn Connquest 76A cornet, Conn Director 17A Coprion cornet, Conn Director 15A cornet, '50 Olds valve/slide trombone
Leatherlip
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the discussion came up about Jet-Tone pieces, I found my old Gold Anodized Aluminum Al Hirt Model A Jet-Tone. Would anyone know if this was designed and developed by Ray Amado? This is the only Aluminum mouthpiece I've ever heard of, or seen. Weighs 1.1oz. I've seen a few tuba Stainless Steel mouthpieces that probably weigh in at 1lbs.

Thanks!
Bill
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:16 am    Post subject: Aluminum Jet-Tones Reply with quote

I was with Ray Amado many times on various projects while he still had control of Jet-Tone and yes, the aluminum Al Hirt model was his design. They were anodized as opposed to gold plated and Ray offered many models in aluminum. After he found out Ratzenberger was a thief he gave up the business with his former partner. Jet-Tone from then on was a crap shoot and quality was gone.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the Jet Tone Al Hirt model was extremely popular in the mid-sixties when I first began to notice what others were playing. It may have been popular because Al Hirt appeared on so many television shows in the 60s- his name was a household word as were the names Louis Armstrong, Harry James, and Herb Alpert. Interesting thread. (I never owned or played a Jet Tone myself.)
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
DoubleEagle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject: No-Name Jet Tone Reply with quote

Well, I now have 3, counting this 4C. The others are a custom 2B and an Al Hirt 8. All are originals, as far as I can tell, though the 4C doesn't say Jet Tone on it. The Custom 2B has a pretty shallow cup, and that had an impact on the shape of the blank apparently. The Al Hirt piece is much smaller than the 4C. I have no way to measure anything other than by feel tho.
Buffalo42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an original Jet Tone Studio D and that is what is on it as identification
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently pulled out my old "Custom Model 1 D" and have been using it to play lead in several big bands. While it's a smaller diameter than I usually use it's a well-balanced mouthpiece that is making my life easier. It definitely helps with the sustained high-register stuff, my low register is surprisingly strong, and I'm happy with the sound I'm getting.

Addressing the OP, Jet Tone never catered to the Chet Baker/Miles Davis players. The DS (Doc Severinsen) model was likely the deepest, and it was basically a Bach 5C cup in a skeletonized blank.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: