• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

anyone ever play a King Master model trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwgib
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:00 am    Post subject: anyone ever play a King Master model trumpet Reply with quote

Considering buying a King Master Model trumpet. Has anyone every played one?

Also thinking of either a Buescher model 2

or a 215, can't decide which one I want.

http://www.buescherloyalist.com/tmodels.html
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one in my collection , I buy it real cheap from Ebay, it has all the extra slides , two mpcs etc but I did play it because I have too much work and no time but now I have a long off and i will clean and oiled and i will try it in my trad jazz band.
The only thing I remember is that it was played well with the stock mpcs.
I will post a review this week.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
dwgib
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giakara wrote:
I have one in my collection , I buy it real cheap from Ebay, it has all the extra slides , two mpcs etc but I did play it because I have too much work and no time but now I have a long off and i will clean and oiled and i will try it in my trad jazz band.

Regards

Thanks, Look forward to reading it. I think the early ones came with all the extras. Strange thing about the one I'm looking at is that it's serial puts it at being made between 1925-30, but the HNWHITE.COM website says they stopped making them by 1924.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today , I clean up the horn inside out and I lubricated everything, all the slides are free but the valves specially the third are slow or stuck , I play it a little bit with the stock mpcs that is a little small for me and the sound is very different , some kind of brighter than modern horns but with a different approach of sound , I must fix the valves and play it with the band to have a more extensive oppion.
I try also to play it with some of my vintage mpcs like Parduba, Rudy Muck and others but it seems to no works on this horn , the stock mpcs are much longer in length .

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwgib wrote:
giakara wrote:

Regards

Thanks, Look forward to reading it. I think the early ones came with all the extras. Strange thing about the one I'm looking at is that it's serial puts it at being made between 1925-30, but the HNWHITE.COM website says they stopped making them by 1924.

The Master Model C Combination trumpet remained in production through the Depression. Look through this
https://www.trumpet-history.com/Early%20King%20Models.pdf

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
jrpbrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:41 am    Post subject: King Master Trumpet Reply with quote

I recently bought a 1918 King Master trumpet and thought I would tell you my opinion of it. The main thing would be to make sure the valves are not worn out , which most internet sellers have no clue about. Mine is in very good original condition with tight valves and it plays excellent with good intonation. It also has what looks like the tallest valves ever made!

The original White 11 mouthpiece has a very nice sound and I usually use it when playing. It fits in the receiver 27mm versus a modern Bach which goes in 25mm. If you are worried about the gap, forget it, because this horn has no step where the receiver meets the lead pipe.

The down side to playing this in a band would be no first or third slide adjustment and no way to set one up on the third slide as the bell brace is in the way. There is also no pinky ring since this uses a reversed tuning slide.

Photos and more information can be found in the Restorations section of my website BrassHistory.net.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: