• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Reynolds Contempora 1954 was engraving an option?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TriumphantTrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:38 am    Post subject: Reynolds Contempora 1954 was engraving an option? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I recently bought a Reynolds Contempora that I just couldn't resist because it looked pretty. From what I've pieced together on 'Contempora Corner' and based on the lack of a first valve trigger, the marking 'MB' below the serial number, the serial number and the fact that it has bronze balusters on the valves I make it out to be a 1954 Model 41-M but what I can't find anywhere is any pictures or even reference to the engraving on the bell of the trumpet I bought.

Does anyone know if this engraving would have been standard. The trumpet also has an interesting trigger third valve which I gather was an optional extra although it also retains a clamp for a finger ring to be fitted instead.

What is the general opinion of this model of trumpet?
CG Conn New Wonder Cornet
King Master Cornet
Buescher Aristocrat Trumpet (2)
Rudy Muck 7M Trumpet
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1960 (based on serial number) Model 40-M. It has the standard engraving for the Contempora line, which is simply the word "Contempora" engraved lengthwise along the bell in a sort of Magneto font and ending in a long, elaborate tail that loops back and forth beneath. Is that the kind of engraving you're talking about? Without pictures, I can't be sure. If your horn has something else in the way of engraving, it may very well be a custom job either from the factory or an aftermarket source. The Reynolds factory used to put fairly elaborate engraving on its horns; if you look at the "Reynolds Trumpets" (non-Contempora) section of the Contempora Corner, you will see some examples of this.

Can you upload some pictures of your horn? If you need them, this link:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=146974

has instructions on how to embed pictures directly in a post here (in particular, read the last two posts in the linked thread).

Opinions of the Contempora trumpets are generally positive, although most praise I've seen has been for the large-bore "Leonard Smith" model. I like mine a lot. In particular, it has a pleasing, complex tone (possibly due in part to that "Bronz-o-lyte Bell").

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"

Last edited by Halflip on Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
TriumphantTrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are links to pictures of the engraving. Looking at it close up it certainly looks like it was done with exactly the same tool as the Contempora name. To me it sounds like a pretty mellow and warm trumpet in comparison to the Kanstul 1600 I've been playing recently which is very loud and brash.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150491124@N07/52781745625/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/150491124@N07/52781582949/in/dateposted-public/

I really like the colour the lacquer has gone over the bronze areas it's just a shame that there has been some lacquer loss.
King Master Cornet
Rudy Muck 7M Trumpet
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking trumpet!
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your horn is gorgeous! That is amazing engraving. It could have been done at the factory, or by an aftermarket engraver (some of them are very good at designing embellishments that compliment what came from the manufacturer).

You might reach out to ElShaddai Edwards at The Contempora Corner and see if he has any information about custom engraving options from the Roth-Reynolds company in the 50's.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
TriumphantTrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is rather pretty. I must admit that I wasn't in the market for another trumpet but, when I saw this one, in it's original case and even with the original keys I just couldn't resist it's good looks.
King Master Cornet
Rudy Muck 7M Trumpet
TriumphantTrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will reach out to Contempora Corner and see what I can find out. The engraving is very even and detailed and must have taken an awful lot of time and concentration to do.
King Master Cornet
Rudy Muck 7M Trumpet
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life is weird. Once I also collected all that vintage stuff, Olds, Conn 36A, 80A, and 56B, French Selmers, some Belgian stuff, old flügels and more. I'm sure I forgot some.
Now after all that years when my playing is much closer to real trumpet playing I am desperately trying to get rid of all that old iron.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's spectacular engraving! I haven't seen any Contemporas with such work done, although to be fair I haven't seen any Contemporas save for the one I own

Contempora Corner is a great site, and as a weird multiple Reynolds owner 99.9% of what I know about Reynolds instruments comes from it, but I'm not entire sure it's 100% complete. To wit, my Contempora, per the serial number, a 1958 model. It is in C, and has the quite awesome "Renascence" thumb trigger that tunes the bell on the fly - but Contempora Corner claims this wasn't available on the C horn until 1959. My Contempora also has a nickel inner tuning slide, which is not mentioned on the website (and all the pictures show ordinary brass inner tuning slides). Who knows? Perhaps your horn is a one-off custom job from the factory, but perhaps it was done by an aftermarket artisan.

My Contempora is also silver plated, which is kind of a bummer because I'd love to see the tricolor effect of the brass tubing, nickel upper valve block, and bronze bell. Oh well.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
TriumphantTrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine doesn't have the nickel upper valve block casings and has bronze to match the bell and mouthpiece receiver which, according to Contempora Corner is peculiar to 1954 models.

I've sent an email off the Mr Edwards at Contempora Corner to see what he thinks.

I am by no means a good or experienced trumpeter yet but I have collected together a number of vintage trumpets partly because they are so cheap and often seem to have lived their lives in people's closets and cupboards with very little use and so are virtually new. Having a modern Kanstul 1600 and Besson International I can't say I feel that they are that different from these vintage animals and I figure that, as I love the sound of the trumpets from the twenties thirties, forties and fifties my best hope of getting close, from an equipment point of view anyway is to use the same equipment.

I have to say that the Contempora, with that engraving also feels like it's got some serious 'Mojo' to me too. It's an extremely easy horn to play too.
King Master Cornet
Rudy Muck 7M Trumpet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: