• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

shires 3c

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALETRUMPET

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:59 am    Post subject: shires 3c Reply with quote

I have heard great things about this mouthpiece. Looks like a copy of MT Vernon. It seems that the only flaw is the very sharp edge. Does anyone know him?
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean, do we know the mouthpiece, I do. Assuming it's like the one Shires gave me in 2020 when I bought a horn, it's a Pickett Blackburn 3. Yes, the rim might be called a bit sharp, but it's a perfectly playable 3C size piece. I have no way of comparing it to a Mt. Vernon 3C.

Here's info: https://www.pickettblackburn.com/mouthpieces-trumpet-c-107_108/1-piece-trumpet-mouthpiece-p-349.html
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Within the past year or 2 I have had a Shires 3C, Shires 1.5C, and Schagerl 3C. While none of them were quite my cup of tea (been using a few ACB MV3C’s for awhile now), all 3 of them were really impressive mouthpieces. Great sound and playability, not sure that they’re Mt. Vernon replicas, but they were competitive with much pricier models including Mt. Vernons. May as well give it a try!
BreakFromTheHerd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Shires 3C came with my Shires Q horn. I couldn't handle the sharp bite. I emailed Pickett about the piece. They responded and said it's different from their Pickett 3C, although they do manufacture it for Shires.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it about a Bach 3C that you want to change?

And an aside, but I think that sometimes we give too much attention to "magic dates" on horns and mouthpieces. I have a current Bach mpc. that is a little different that a similarly labeled mpc. from a "magic dates" Golden Era and I prefer my current mpc.

It's how it plays and feels, not necessarily the dates.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BreakFromTheHerd wrote:
A Shires 3C came with my Shires Q horn. I couldn't handle the sharp bite. I emailed Pickett about the piece. They responded and said it's different from their Pickett 3C, although they do manufacture it for Shires.
Yes, I agree with this. They told me it is not the same piece, but it's very close.
ALETRUMPET

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I arrive today. Great mouthpiece, warm, full sound... my impossible edge. So sharp it looks like a knife. At least for me useless. Maybe you need to round the edge. I will try to round the edge slightly.
JMWTpt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:50 am    Post subject: shires 3c Reply with quote

It seems that in performance of a mouthpiece, everything affects everything else. No single parameter is truly or broadly independent. So, I respectfully suggest that you proceed in very small steps with any modifications and test identically and for a while the total effects that result. I speak from experience and have a few mouthpiece/fishing sinkers labeled 1-1/2C and 3C.
John
BreakFromTheHerd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALETRUMPET wrote:
I arrive today. Great mouthpiece, warm, full sound... my impossible edge. So sharp it looks like a knife. At least for me useless. Maybe you need to round the edge. I will try to round the edge slightly.

Yeah, it's quite sharp. Reminds me of the Carol Brass 3C, which is equally nasty.
enrico

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to me like the same rim as the current Bach 3C. I don't find it cutting or sharper than the Bach.
MisterBighorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enrico wrote:
It looks to me like the same rim as the current Bach 3C. I don't find it cutting or sharper than the Bach.

You might have thicker lips than me and/or your dental structure does not create a pressure point. I had a Shires 3C and had to sell it.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a new Schires 3C. It doesn't seem to me to have any more of a cutting edge than the modern Bach 3C. Sounds like a great sounding mouthpiece to me.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3861 wrote:
I just got a new Schires 3C. It doesn't seem to me to have any more of a cutting edge than the modern Bach 3C. Sounds like a great sounding mouthpiece to me.

I had one that was included with the Shires Model B that was issued to me. I didn't particularly like it - the rim was a bit sharper than the rims on the either the Curry or ACB 3Cs that I have, although it seemed to be a decent enough mouthpiece for C trumpet.

I retire from the Guard band soon, so I turned that horn in last week. I could easily have kept that mouthpiece, but I didn't. I cleaned and polished it, put it back in the little 2 mouthpiece pouch that had been included with the horn, and put it all back in the case with the trumpet.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: