• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Today's players vs players of the 40s - 80s?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rothman wrote:
An instance of a youngster with good range in high school , not all that impressive on a variety of YT clips. Somehow -- with maturity he ended up developing into a very solid player, and musically as well :

Link

If by “good range” you mean “extremely rare, exceptional range, on the furthest measurable edge of the bell curve” then I’ll agree with you….
(BTW I’ve loved listening to Louis for years, he’s really exceptional, and yes he has matured tremendously)

Last edited by bike&ed on Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Obviously you missed this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3xr4bJtxhg&ab_channel=BasF%C3%B6rster

I love that tune & perform it a lot, just did so last night!
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rothman wrote:
An instance of a youngster with good range in high school , not all that impressive on a variety of YT clips.

I agree that he's matured musically, but these are clips from when he was in high school:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnjhzttS1j0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V66qyPGEE9A

If that's not impressive for a high school student, there must be some pretty unbelievable high schools wherever you are.
andybharms
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of this discussion revolves around the sheer breadth of skills required of young musicians. I disagree with people who say perfection is the name of the game. I get to play with and hear a lot of great orchestras live, and it is a fallacy that anybody is up there playing perfectly. Even auditions, I have never heard of anyone playing a “perfect” audition, at least by their own measure. It might sound “perfect” by some measure, but there are always quibbles.

Re town bands, maybe, but (orchestrally, at least) most pro careers these days begin really with the festival and training orchestras… Aspen, Music Academy, etc. I actually think this is a bit of a problem in the industry, because the festivals are sometimes very expensive and can inadvertently end up gatekeeping for a pretty high degree of financial privilege. Not universally of course. But even a free festival means potentially missing out on a summer of work money, bills, etc. I am pretty up-front with students and clients who are considering this field, that if they are unable to participate in festivals, their odds of success are significantly lower.
agolden
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are so many unreal trumpet players out there today it's scary.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that the overall level of musical expressiveness necessarily changes from one generation to the next, but from a standpoint of technical execution, I think there's reason to believe that the average level of technical proficiency required by working players today includes things that many similar working players of the "golden eras" we often see idolized here weren't consistently expected to be able to do.

As an example, I remember when I was in my undergrad having my teacher show me a particular excerpt that he said used to be unusual in auditions because it was too hard but which I've since been asked to play in auditions a number of times, even when auditioning for orchestras that were obviously never going to play that repertoire. It kind of seems like the prevailing mentality is "the harder, the better".
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting post; "then vs now". Some of it depends on what type of music they played. How do you compare them in that way? You almost have to compare them by style. For example, take singers. You can compare Engelbart Humperdinck with Tom Jones; Bobby Darin with Frank Sinatra or Michele Bublé; Barbara Streisand with Celine Dion; etc. You would almost have to do it that way; & perhaps give the guys from the 40s & 50s a bit more consideration, perhaps even due to equipment. Now I realize as they say in golf, it's the arrow & not the Native American (trying to be politically correct here), but todays top end horns are made with much better precision, tolerances, valve alignment, mouthpiece precision etc. Not trying to go off on a tangent here, but take golf...if you could bring back Ben Hogan & give him the latest, greatest titanium driver & precision made balls, would he blow the doors off of today's guys? I don't know. If I had to pick someone, I think players like Harry James can hold his own among anyone; but within his style of music. .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: