• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Randy Brooks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:13 am    Post subject: Randy Brooks Reply with quote

Hello all & hope this post finds you well. Just heard Tenderly by Randy Brooks. I had never heard of him, & was blown away by his Harry James style & sound. How would you guys compare the two?
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:55 am    Post subject: Randy Brooks Reply with quote

I worked for Harry James but did not get the chance to play with Randy Brooks as I was still at Berklee. He was legendary and all my instructors said to check him out. He was in a wheelchair and perhaps whatever disease he had took him away at an early age. For sure, the recordings he left us with were terrific and Tenderly was a big hit. I have a copy of this arrangement and believe me, it's a challenge. As for a comparison with Harry, he certainly was an amazing player and bandleader but did not have the overall success Harry had through the years. Maybe if he had lived longer...

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer Tony. I guess sometimes fate deals you a bad hand. Listening to his rendition of Tenderly, I'd say he was just as good as Harry playing it. Tone, sound, intonation, tough to tell them apart. A shame to lose such a fine musician so early.
R. Dale Olson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For All:

Tony is assuredly the most reliable source for information such as Harry and Randy.

I was fortunate to have met Harry many times, and had the privilege of studying with Everret, his father, during my high school days in Texas.

Regarding Randy Brooks, he was one of the truly marvelous players of the Swing Era", but lived a sad life and tragically died in a house fire while confined to a wheel chair.

A writer, and close friend of Randy's, Helen Pajama (sic), wrote a biography of Randy in 1970, "A Door Will Open", published by House of Falmouth. The book is 117 pages in length and occupies a very special place within my collection of trumpet player biographies. The Randy book sits between ones
about Buddy Bolden and Roy Cassell. It is available on sites such as Abe Books, but has become pricey (i.c. c. $175 - $200) over the years.

Thank you for bringing Randy's work to the attention of those on TH who have not had the opportunity to familiarize themselves with one of the greats within our field.

R Dale Olson
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people are going to be referring to things, I don't know why they don't post a link for reference. Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtSjZPEuOOE

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea to post that link for others to enjoy.
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy also wrote a really great book that shows how he did what he did so well.

You can find it right here.
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Interesting. Thanks!
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R. Dale Olson wrote:
For All:

Tony is assuredly the most reliable source for information such as Harry and Randy.

I was fortunate to have met Harry many times, and had the privilege of studying with Everret, his father, during my high school days in Texas.

Regarding Randy Brooks, he was one of the truly marvelous players of the Swing Era", but lived a sad life and tragically died in a house fire while confined to a wheel chair.

A writer, and close friend of Randy's, Helen Pajama (sic), wrote a biography of Randy in 1970, "A Door Will Open", published by House of Falmouth. The book is 117 pages in length and occupies a very special place within my collection of trumpet player biographies. The Randy book sits between ones
about Buddy Bolden and Roy Cassell. It is available on sites such as Abe Books, but has become pricey (i.c. c. $175 - $200) over the years.

Thank you for bringing Randy's work to the attention of those on TH who have not had the opportunity to familiarize themselves with one of the greats within our field.

R Dale Olson

Dale, it is great to see you posting on the TH!

I lost your email from years ago, and was thinking that you were no longer with us. Happy to be wrong.

R. Dale Olson is a multi-talented man, who at one point was the chief horn tester for Olds. He has written many books. Among them is "Sensory Evaluation of Brass Musical Instruments," which is a very deep dive into the psychological variables behind manufacturer marketing and consumer buying choices. It is not a quick read, as it is more than 300 pages, and fully indexed and referenced, much like a college dissertation. But for those who want to expand their frame of reference a bit, his insights in this book are invaluable.

Dale and Tony are two of the most experienced and thoughtful members of TH. Both of them embody the idea of "Renaissance Man," which is becoming more rare in an age which instead values specialization. We are lucky to have them here.

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: