• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Commercial Playing!!!: How do you practice this skill?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Rogers
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:06 pm    Post subject: Commercial Playing!!!: How do you practice this skill? Reply with quote

Teachers are always inspired when we have that student that jumps on our weekly assignments in Clarke's Technical Studies, Arban's, Charlier, Smith's Top Tones, various orchestral excerpts, solos, transposing, etc....the student that has very few roadblocks in tone production, range or technical skill development. What do you do with a student that displays great potential for playing in multiple genre and styles?

What are your suggestions?

What specific methods do you use to challenge that students' development of the commercial side of playing? (Without addressing improvisation....)

What are the "get ready steps" before stepping into the ensemble that requires a commercial or show style of playing?
Schilke
Getzen
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dive into a style.. for example learn the standard salsa repertoire. Or, read through a few broadway musical repertoire 1st trumpet book. Or, learn all the typical wedding band horn lines by ear. A lot of times in wedding bands or salsa gigs there are no charts and you are expected to know the tunes. So doing a lot of that is beneficial. Learning how to learn and retain tunes by ear quickly is a skill that should be practiced.

In addition to that, practicing accuracy and control in the upper register.
Jason Rogers
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:32 pm    Post subject: Outstanding Advice Jaw04 !!! Reply with quote

Very workable advice ....but beyond specific ensemble charts and show books that might be available (....always "hold onto" your show books for personal practice!!!)

Are there formal method books available that can be used to move a student forward? .....To practice Jazz/Commercial rhythm and articulation?

Playing "by ear" is extremely important...listening to recordings and performers is critical....
Schilke
Getzen
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Outstanding Advice Jaw04 !!! Reply with quote

Jason Rogers wrote:
Very workable advice ....but beyond specific ensemble charts and show books that might be available (....always "hold onto" your show books for personal practice!!!)

Are there formal method books available that can be used to move a student forward? .....To practice Jazz/Commercial rhythm and articulation?

Playing "by ear" is extremely important...listening to recordings and performers is critical....
To practice jazz/commercial rhythm and articulation, practice jazz/commercial music
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, look up these books and give them a read:
The Broadway Trumpeter by Paul Baron (it’s a set of two books)
Hessians Sessions by Patrick Hession
Clinical Notes on Trumpet Playing by Roger Ingram

There are a few others, but this may be a good start.
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out www.qpress.ca You’ll find everything you need.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the most important thing is actually the intonation on commercial gigs. It’s nothing like playing in a big band as far as intonation goes.

In commercial gigs, the horns typically are doubled with a synth, and that synth dictates the pitch, so every note is basically exactly where a clip on tuner would have you put it. In a big band, or a salsa band there is a lot of drifting going on.

The typical commercial horn section is trpt/tenor/bone. The tenor player and bone player will listen to the trumpet, and if they are good they will stick like glue. The problem is that if the pitch drifts (as in the trumpet drifting sharp when getting tired) the whole thing is out against the rhythm section, and if there is a synth doubling the horns its particularly noticeable. When that starts happening the trumpet is really hard to be accurate, so you start cracking way more notes. If you start going sharp as a set progresses you need to pull your slide a bit. Lots of players refuse to do that.

Things that come up that are more commercial band specific.:

1) playing outside, and the temperature changes, and you still have to be exactly in tune with a tuner. If it’s cold, you may need to pull in every time you have a couple minutes of not playing. Then pull back out when your horn is warm again. Use a tuner clipped on your horn. It’s important.

2) sax player or bone player who starts out out of tune. Don’t tune to them instead of the keyboards. It’s makes it a mess all night. Start the night and each set with a tuner clipped on your horn and nail the tuner and make the horns match you. This can take three tunes. Don’t say anything at all about the pitch! That makes the whole night awful. Never mention the pitch. Everyone will know you are right if you are on the tuner every note

3) if there are two trumpets and a mono monitor mix (either floor or in-ears) and the trumpets are playing in unison… you cant tell right away which trumpet is you. Especially up high. You wont hear you accoustic sound hardly at all, and both trumpets are in the same space in the in-ears. If using floor monitors, put up a clear plexiglass screen on your mic. That way you can separate your own sound. If using in-ears, crack one of them open a bit on the side of the other trumpet, which might help to distinguish the other players sound. Better yet…. Use a clip on tuner all night when playing with two trumpets especially in unison.

4) you might figure out that your setup goes sharp or flat in different octaves, or at different dynamics. Not uncommon at all. You have to deal with that. Practice all of your basic routine with loud drones or drones in one earbud. Just make that routine. It’s great. And then use a clip on tuner on the gig. Then find a rig that has stable intonation. I dont know if this next point is actually true, but i swear there are certain setups that are actually less sensitive to temperature, or more sensitive to temperature. I need more time on that.

5) use a clip on tuner. The standard rules of listening and adjusting dont apply to the trumpet in this situation. You just have to be exactly in tune with where keyboards are putting the notes, and you might not be able to hear them, or you might not be able to hear yourself. If you hear yourself but just barely, you can think you are in tune, and then you hear a board recording and you were flat or sharp all night long. That happens, especially if you are tuning to other horn players.

6) bone players who grew up listening to dick shearer can be a source of you cracking notes. If they scoop into everything and and slip and slide around when they are playing an octave down, that is poison. Pull the bone out of your in-ears, or ignore it, or possibly break the rule about not mentioning anything. It’s way better if everything falls into place with zero conversation about anything, but slippery bone players…..

After everything has settled in and the horns are all perfectly in tune, you can all go on for a while like that. maybe all night, and then you can stop checking the tuner on every note. As soon as something weird happens clip it back on though.

Lastly, the tuner does not know when you are playing the 3rd of the chords, so when it’s a major chord let the note be one click flat on the tuner. Even if you dont do that it’s ok, but doing that is actually the best way to use a tuner. Also if you are within one click (on a snark brand tuner) you are pretty good enough usually. If you nail it right on the green though its amazing solid and “commercial” sounding.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
NickJTrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of my playing is commercial rather than classical and I always recommend 2 or 3 books for my students:

Eric Murine - A Progressive Guide to Commercial Trumpet Playing: it’s his doctoral thesis but the content in it is great. It has exercises and duets in a number of different styles with explanations of each style and recommended listening.

Berklee Practice Method - Trumpet, Get Your Band Together: in a similar vein to the Murine it talks you through each genre but it also has sections on articulation, improv etc. and comes with a play along CD.

I also recommend lots of listening and transcription - play along with popular/famous tracks and start building a library of parts that you/they have transcribed.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking down through this thread, I'm not quite sure how we're defining "commercial." I always regarded "commercial" as anything that wasn't classical - anything that was driven by percussion or played along with amplified instruments, and anything where a brighter, more cutting tone was preferable.

Most of my career has been gigging in situations that wouldn't be considered classical:

Latin band
Big Band - I consider this to be a type of commercial music
Wedding band
Classic rock band

I learned by doing. I wanted to play Latin music, so I found a Latin band and started gigging - before long I was ripping along for 3 sets, 3-4 nights a week.

I was also lucky enough to play alongside some other great players who had much more experience than I did, so I also learned by listening, while doing.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the definition of commercial playing to you folks the same as what lipshurt is talking about? This is not a criticism, I just want a common vocabulary so I can communicate.

My impression of commercial is big band, film scores, pops orchestra, pit band and the like. For what lipshurt is referring to, I would use horn section and pop/soul band.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s. different topic. I may have missed it, but it is crucial to lock into the drums.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a great definition of "commercial" playing it, but I consider it basically not Jazz or Classical. It could be playing in a horn section for a pop band, or it could be playing musical theater. Skills like improvising, sight-reading, memorizing a book, playing different styles, playing soloistically, playing in a section, playing high notes, may all be involved, so you need to be well-rounded in those areas. Primarily playing B flat trumpet maybe some flugelhorn.

Skills for an orchestral musician = more about transposition, playing different keyed trumpets, mastery of the classical repertoire/styles/literature, symphonic sound.

Skills for a Jazz artist = more about improvisation, having your own voice as an artist, composing and arranging, knowing standards, playing without charts.

There's obviously overlap in the 3 "categories."
Jason Rogers
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:41 am    Post subject: What is Commercial? Reply with quote

I understand the confusion...What is commercial?

When I posted my original question....I was thinking...West Side Story...or Maynard Ferguson section playing...or arrangements suggested by Veldkamp's new Qpress publication Beats Daily...however, could commercial playing also include a film score by John Williams...but that is also "classical"?
Schilke
Getzen
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In characterizing John Williams' music, I'd say Straussian-influenced film score and leave it to that. Too much compartmentalizing genres just confuses things. Good example is "West Coast Jazz" which was populated with East Coast players.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
WestCoastTpt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Working musicians definition: anything but classical and jazz.. so funk, r&b, soul, salsa, … one would also call it pop music.
WestCoastTpt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
I think the most important thing is actually the intonation on commercial gigs. It’s nothing like playing in a big band as far as intonation goes.

In commercial gigs, the horns typically are doubled with a synth, and that synth dictates the pitch, so every note is basically exactly where a clip on tuner would have you put it. In a big band, or a salsa band there is a lot of drifting going on.

The typical commercial horn section is trpt/tenor/bone. The tenor player and bone player will listen to the trumpet, and if they are good they will stick like glue. The problem is that if the pitch drifts (as in the trumpet drifting sharp when getting tired) the whole thing is out against the rhythm section, and if there is a synth doubling the horns its particularly noticeable. When that starts happening the trumpet is really hard to be accurate, so you start cracking way more notes. If you start going sharp as a set progresses you need to pull your slide a bit. Lots of players refuse to do that.

Things that come up that are more commercial band specific.:

1) playing outside, and the temperature changes, and you still have to be exactly in tune with a tuner. If it’s cold, you may need to pull in every time you have a couple minutes of not playing. Then pull back out when your horn is warm again. Use a tuner clipped on your horn. It’s important.

2) sax player or bone player who starts out out of tune. Don’t tune to them instead of the keyboards. It’s makes it a mess all night. Start the night and each set with a tuner clipped on your horn and nail the tuner and make the horns match you. This can take three tunes. Don’t say anything at all about the pitch! That makes the whole night awful. Never mention the pitch. Everyone will know you are right if you are on the tuner every note

3) if there are two trumpets and a mono monitor mix (either floor or in-ears) and the trumpets are playing in unison… you cant tell right away which trumpet is you. Especially up high. You wont hear you accoustic sound hardly at all, and both trumpets are in the same space in the in-ears. If using floor monitors, put up a clear plexiglass screen on your mic. That way you can separate your own sound. If using in-ears, crack one of them open a bit on the side of the other trumpet, which might help to distinguish the other players sound. Better yet…. Use a clip on tuner all night when playing with two trumpets especially in unison.

4) you might figure out that your setup goes sharp or flat in different octaves, or at different dynamics. Not uncommon at all. You have to deal with that. Practice all of your basic routine with loud drones or drones in one earbud. Just make that routine. It’s great. And then use a clip on tuner on the gig. Then find a rig that has stable intonation. I dont know if this next point is actually true, but i swear there are certain setups that are actually less sensitive to temperature, or more sensitive to temperature. I need more time on that.

5) use a clip on tuner. The standard rules of listening and adjusting dont apply to the trumpet in this situation. You just have to be exactly in tune with where keyboards are putting the notes, and you might not be able to hear them, or you might not be able to hear yourself. If you hear yourself but just barely, you can think you are in tune, and then you hear a board recording and you were flat or sharp all night long. That happens, especially if you are tuning to other horn players.

6) bone players who grew up listening to dick shearer can be a source of you cracking notes. If they scoop into everything and and slip and slide around when they are playing an octave down, that is poison. Pull the bone out of your in-ears, or ignore it, or possibly break the rule about not mentioning anything. It’s way better if everything falls into place with zero conversation about anything, but slippery bone players…..

After everything has settled in and the horns are all perfectly in tune, you can all go on for a while like that. maybe all night, and then you can stop checking the tuner on every note. As soon as something weird happens clip it back on though.

Lastly, the tuner does not know when you are playing the 3rd of the chords, so when it’s a major chord let the note be one click flat on the tuner. Even if you dont do that it’s ok, but doing that is actually the best way to use a tuner. Also if you are within one click (on a snark brand tuner) you are pretty good enough usually. If you nail it right on the green though its amazing solid and “commercial” sounding.

Well said!!! I’ve always wondered why I sounded like butt when get back into these gigs and my concept of tuning turns upside down lol!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lipshurt, your post is excellent. I would just have two "qualifiers".

In pop bands, you do need to be in tune with the electronic instruments, just be aware that in some genres of "soul"-oriented music, while the former is a rule of thumb, in that genre, horn and vocal pitches can be, er, "flexible".

Also regarding two trumpets playing unison up high, I would never do that and, actually, have never seen it. It's not something I would recommend. Not that it wouldn't occur but I, personally, wouldn't even do that in the staff.

Nothing dogmatic, just a few observations based on personal practice.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:44 am    Post subject: Williams influence. Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
In characterizing John Williams' music, I'd say Straussian-influenced film score and leave it to that. Too much compartmentalizing genres just confuses things. Good example is "West Coast Jazz" which was populated with East Coast players.

Tangential comment on my part, if you can forgive me, kehaulani: John Williams's biggest influence likely was Erich Korngold. It may be better to describe Richard Strauss as the granddaddy of the expansive orchestral Hollywood film score.

IMO, A trumpeter interested in learning the trumpet repertoire for Hollywood film music would do well to listen to Williams, Korngold, Elmer Bernstein, Alex North, John Addison, Jerry Goldsmith, John Barry, and more recently, Howard Shore. Maurice Murphy is the big hero in that sub-genre; he had to be as influential a trumpeter in orchestral film music as Bud Herseth was in the concert hall playing the standard repertoire.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very familiar with Korngold. I use Stauss because I assume his name is more relatable than Korngold. Not for film-score buffs but for the average Joe.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
p.s. different topic. I may have missed it, but it is crucial to lock into the drums.

Being a player who alternately plays in big bands, rock bands, concert bands and orchestras, it's mind boggling to me how many people don't listen to what's happening in the percussion section. I know that there's the philsophy of "follow the stick" - meaning, follow the conductor, and while in a perfect world that works, in reality it causes disjointedness when the percussion may not be completely following the conductor.

In any case, YES! I completely agree with that - lock into the drummer!

One day in the National Guard band we were rehearsing a medley of tunes and one of them was upbeat swing with a tempo change. The drummer took off on this swing groove, but the woodwinds up front were following the conductor, and there was a disconnect on tempo. I was completely blown away that this drummer was laying down a great groove and it wasn't being followed because the guy conducting - not the normal conductor - REFUSED to connect up with the drummer. I get it - the guy with the stick is supposed to be in charge, but in a situation like that, FOLLOWED THE DRUMMER! In my opinion.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: