• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Focal Dystonia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesbaldwin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:24 pm    Post subject: Focal Dystonia Reply with quote

I'm an 18-year-old trumpet player (getting ready to go to college to study trumpet) and for the past 9 or so months I've been struggling a lot with some sort of embouchure dysfunction:

- It started last July when I developed a stutter stop. In the past couple of months this stutter stop has become less of an issue but it is still noticeably present in my playing at times.

- I've lost tons of my range and endurance, especially in the last two or so months. I can barely play above a G on top of the staff right now, but I remember back last summer I could play the piccolo part for Bolero on a C trumpet pretty solidly. Now when I do the six-note Caruso exercise at the end of my practice sessions (which are becoming shorter and shorter by the day), I can't play past the third note.

- This past week I've been getting an air leak, where my lips will just separate completely.

It's possible (and I hope most likely) that my problems are related to incorrect usage of air. My teacher and I have been working on speeding up my air with breathing exercises, slurs, and soft and high Clarke exercises, but none of these seem to work.

Does anyone here have advice? Is this focal dystonia? Thank you all for any advice.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See a doctor immediately
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about this. I'm going to respond to your specific question, "Is this focal dystonia?"

A number of embouchure issues are incorrectly attributed to focal dystonias. It can be confusing, because most of the descriptions out there are lack any scientific foundation. Many of these anecdotal descriptions also talk about cures, which are unlikely. All primary dystonias and most secondary dystonias are incurable.

By definition, a focal dystonia is a disconnect between the nerves and muscles. This "disconnect" is limited to one part of the body or one type of activity. There is no pain or swelling. In fact, the muscles themselves are fine. The problem is that the nerves are "misfiring". As a physician, it would be difficult for me to call something a focal embouchure dystonia without the presence of neurologic symptoms. This would include involuntary movements, abnormal contractions, tremors, or a lack of coordination around the embouchure muscles. If you think you have a dystonia, you should see a doctor.

But based on what you're describing, it sounds like embouchure overuse. And if this is true, you have a serious soft tissue injury, that won't get better until you let it heal. (Imagine a runner who tore his Achilles tendon, but thinks the only way it will heal is if he continues to jog 6 miles every day.) I doubt very much this has to do with air or breathing exercises. But I can't help but think that Caruso and the "high Clarke exercises" are a big part of the your problem.

My suggestion is to put away all the "heavy lifting", and start a long rehab of easy playing within the staff. And whether you play 15 minutes a day or 60 minutes, every time you put the horn down, your chops should always feel fresh and under control (like it says in the intro to Clarke Technical Study #1).

Best of luck.
Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That kind of problem is virtually always caused by incorrect mechanics for your embouchure type. I can help you correct the issues with a Skype lesson if you are interested. PM me.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where will you be going to college?
scott1860

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been suffering with Focal Dystonia for about 8 years. Go get someone to officially diagnose you and find out for sure (someone versed in neuroplasticity). If you do in fact have Focal Dystonia, GET HELP! There are people out there that can help or even point you in the right direction. David Vining, of Mountain Peak Music, is great. He has recovered, it is possible, and provides great resources for those of us afflicted. Jan Kagrice is also amazing but isn't cheap. There are tons of people who have tried to solve the puzzle themselves and failed having burned up years in the process. Tons of literature out there. Educate yourself, stay positive and know that this has been beaten by others.

Last edited by scott1860 on Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
mthengst

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a video you may find helpful of my former teacher...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf2uYqDX8QA

MH

Michael Hengst
https://ensembleblock.com/odd-meter-technical-exercises/[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
E_Smith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to think I had dystonia (when in fact it was just bad nerves) and I'd done some studying on it. One of my teacher's favorite players is Phil Smith who, of course, had to take some time off of trumpet after developing dystonia. I did some listening/reading on his condition and he'd found himself a teacher that dealt specifically with brass players that had developed focal dystonia. What he described sounded to me like that teacher was basically helping him develop a new methodology of embouchure use. So, what Doug said above could be the case.

Also, depending on where you go to school, there's a great possibility that your teacher there will either "know a guy" or know how to help you deal with it themself.

If you do a search for "focal dystonia trumpetherald" on the search engine of your choice, you'll also find a lot of other posts and additional information there as well; this has come up a few times here.

Best of luck!

UMI Silver Flair | Fullerton Olds Studio
King Legend 2070
1921 Conn 80A
Trumpeter, Pianist, Drummer
jamesbaldwin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the responses. I've come back after two days off and am playing and feeling better. I hope I was just feeling symptoms of overuse, since I'd been playing nonstop since last summer in preparation for my auditions and other upcoming performances.
harryjamesworstnightmare
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This worked for me. Same issues you're having.

http://www.embouchures.com/index.html[/url]
Bach Strad 43 Sterling Silver Plus
Getzen Proteus
Yamaha 6335HS
Olds Super
Olds Mendez
Getzen Custom 3850 Cornet
Conn 80A
Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesbaldwin wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thank you for the responses. I've come back after two days off and am playing and feeling better. I hope I was just feeling symptoms of overuse, since I'd been playing nonstop since last summer in preparation for my auditions and other upcoming performances.

This shows that you and your teacher have been on the wrong tack for quite some time. If you have ambitions, then take MORE time off and rethink your strategies for getting where you want to go.

Cheers

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: