• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Oil Experiment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Oil Experiment Reply with quote

I wash my trumpet about once a month. Every time I wash it, some white slimy white skin type stuff comes out.

My trumpet came with synthetic oil so I've stayed with it, until today.

I bought some petroleum oil, washed my trumpet and back together. I'll post if it helped in about a month.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest (following Mr. Charles Colin) to run a pitcher of lukewarm water through the tubing while actuating valves, snake the leadpipe, and blow out the residual moisture at the end of each playing day.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Experiment Reply with quote

trumpetchops wrote:
... some white slimy white skin type stuff comes out. ...

----------------------------
Might also be related to slide lube. Lanolin caused that for me.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Experiment Reply with quote

trumpetchops wrote:
Every time I wash it, some white slimy white skin type stuff comes out.

I am not a scientist, but I believe that is human breath, concentrated. Or evaporated? Anyway, its not the oil or grease, its you.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think about the inside windshield of a car. Eventually it develops a film of stuff that has to be cleaned off in order to keep your windshield clear.

I wouldn't think too hard on it - just make sure to clean your trumpet regularly, or maybe even a bit more frequently than you do.

When I was an Army trumpeter playing all the time, I cleaned my horn at least once every 4-6 weeks. Seemed like I was cleaning it all the time. I did that because it needed it - every time I cleaned my horn I was surprised by how much junk accumulated in it in such a short period of time.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Experiment Reply with quote

trumpetchops wrote:
I wash my trumpet about once a month. Every time I wash it, some white slimy white skin type stuff comes out.

I bought some petroleum oil, washed my trumpet and back together. I'll post if it helped in about a month.

Most players have been gravitating in the opposite direction, towards synthetic lubricants. Your mileage may vary! I have moved to synthetic valve oils on all my trumpets about 3 years ago. My experience has resulted in no hang ups of valve action, longer intervals between oiling and faster/smoother valve action. I have tried several brand synthetic oils, but have settled on Monster Oil’s Eco-Pro oils. Their oils work well with my body chemistry in my horns.

Concerning the white funk you are getting out, you may want to try BlowDry Brass product. It has helped keep my horns cleaner, between thorough washing. Body chemistry with your horn is an individual animal. I offer these opinions as potential helpful solutions which may be of some benefit.
Ron

https://www.blowdrybrass.com/

https://youtu.be/meXoHlY51VM
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Experiment Reply with quote

Ronnman wrote:
trumpetchops wrote:

Most players have been gravitating in the opposite direction, towards synthetic lubricants. Your mileage may vary! I have moved to synthetic valve oils on all my trumpets about 3 years ago. My experience has resulted in no hang ups of valve action, longer intervals between oiling and faster/smoother valve action. I have tried several brand synthetic oils, but have settled on Monster Oil’s Eco-Pro oils. Their oils work well with my body chemistry in my horns.

Concerning the white funk you are getting out, you may want to try BlowDry Brass product. It has helped keep my horns cleaner, between thorough washing. Body chemistry with your horn is an individual animal. I offer these opinions as potential helpful solutions which may be of some benefit.
Ron

https://www.blowdrybrass.com/

https://youtu.be/meXoHlY51VM

The synthetic oil always worked well. I can't remember what I used before the synthetic but, I noticed a big difference in performance when I started using it. If the trumpet doesn't get the white stuff, I just oil more. If the white stuff doesn't go away, I'll be back with the synthetic.
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little over a week and no white stuff.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
Think about the inside windshield of a car. Eventually it develops a film of stuff that has to be cleaned off in order to keep your windshield clear.

I always though the film on the windshield was from the plastic outgassing and from the pollution in the air.
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been about a month and no white stuff in the trumpet.
I think I'm done with the synthetic.
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, just a heads-up that those links in your signature are a problem. The first (trumpetwedding) goes to some place with only Asian language characters, and the MySpace is pretty dead and incomplete.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: