• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Compression Training System

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
ScottA wrote:
Players who are more "flow" focused [contrasted with Compression Training System] may not find it as useful.

What does that mean?

-----------------------------------------
Everyone has their own limited set of items on which they 'focus' (or consider) while playing, or even while doing specific technique practice.
e.g.
Just PLAY and make good sound and music.
Lip and mouthpiece positioning.
Resistance of air flow.
Amount of air flow.
Internal air pressure.
Tongue.
Jaw.
Wind and Song.
Specific individual details about lips, chest, throat, tongue, lungs, diaphragm, etc.
And many others.

And there's the question about whether something such as CTS would be HELPFUL if used correctly, as compared to whether it would be 'tried a bit' and put aside because no immediate benefit or enjoyment was obtained.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gottfried Reiche wrote:
Also, a word about endorsements: you can't necessarily trust them. A few of those people on that list are good friends of mine and have told me that they aren't regular users of the device. One told me he only tried it once. ...

----------------------
Without more information from those endorsers, it can't be determined whether they believe the product could be useful to other players who would benefit by increasing their 'compression' or high pressure air flow.

It's not surprising that strong experienced players do not need to develop better compression - they probably already have it!
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Gottfried Reiche wrote:
Also, a word about endorsements: you can't necessarily trust them. A few of those people on that list are good friends of mine and have told me that they aren't regular users of the device. One told me he only tried it once. ...

----------------------
Without more information from those endorsers, it can't be determined whether they believe the product could be useful to other players who would benefit by increasing their 'compression' or high pressure air flow.

It's not surprising that strong experienced players do not need to develop better compression - they probably already have it!

It’s not about compression for compression sake. The CTS uses the compression to strengthen the muscles of the embouchure. It allows you to exercise those muscles, silently, anywhere and in just a few minutes. I use it whilst watching TV with my wife. It’s simple and effective. I used mine when I was on holiday for a month, without a trumpet. On return my embouchure was in great shape for a two hour band rehearsal.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
mograph

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what are we doing when we use the CTS? From what I've seen, we blow into the mouthpiece, without buzzing, and we feel resistance through the sphygmomanometer.

I don't have a CTS, so I plug the mouthpiece and blow, it feels as if my core is being worked, but also the cheek muscles (buccinators?) that keep my cheeks from puffing out.

However, I don't feel any work happening at the orbicularis oris: it feels as if I can change the aperture freely. In short, it feels as if I would be working something quite different with the CTS from what I work when I use the Warburton PETE.

So, what exactly gets stronger when doing this?
Playing for fun since 1979.
Fmr member 48th Highlanders of Canada Mil Band
Into that jazz devil music
Don Ellis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one, did nothing for me. Found Larry difficult at best. If I practice better I play better. Just my take, others may find it helps.
RayMott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:10 am    Post subject: CTS Reply with quote

If you don’t like it/trust it don’t use it. If it works for you, great. For reference, due to my work pattern, I have one week I can practice a lot, and one with limited time. I find the CTS is a good way to keep me going in between.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: