• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Walter Smith Top Tone Scales

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lloyd56ebone

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 2:08 pm    Post subject: Walter Smith Top Tone Scales Reply with quote

Hi. I have a question concerning Walter Smith's Preparatory Embouchure Studies. As with most range advice I have been told to do range every other day but while reading the text it asks to make daily practice of the scales. Should i practice them everyday or not?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going off-course here, specifically because you seem to be concerned with 'range development', 'embouchure studies', and how to use practice material.

I DO want feedback and responses from other readers - so no need for anyone to be shy or reserved !

MY VIEW is that doing 'practice' for range and embouchure is much more involved than just 'pounding out the notes'. A big part is discovering and learning what works - and that needs a lot of concentrated thought and feeling about what you are doing and its results. Of course a major step in discovering and learning is having guidance about the things that you should be doing and what needs to be happening - that's were a good teacher is helpful.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
lloyd56ebone

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every thing you said is right. I plan on getting a teacher for the summer to help me out for next year. I asked the question to know how others used the study.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have been told to do range every other day but while reading the text it asks to make daily practice of the scales. Should i practice them everyday or not?

Only you can answer that, ideally with help from your teacher. Top Tones is intended for trumpet players who have already developed fairly strong chops, and are looking to build on that. If that doesn't describe you, then approach with caution.

If you are playing the preparatory exercises to the point of exhaustion trying to get in the written number of repeats or straining mightily to get the F, F# and G out then every day is too much, and perhaps every other day is too much. Remember that you should feel like your practice is building you up, not tearing you down.

Make sensible edits to the exercises: Start on low G instead of low C and build up from there, decrease the number of repeats, try twice with the highest note and then call it a day....A good teacher can help you sort all of that out.

During my senior year in high school I was playing those 5-6 days a week (not all the repeats on the high F# and G). I spent years building up to that with Arban, Schlossberg and Clarke under the guidance of a great teacher. Even then, when I was introduced to Top Tones late in my junior year, my teacher worked each set of exercises in gradually. Approach them sensibly.

Good luck!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only "Practice every other day" regimen I've seen recommended is in Spaulding's "Double High C" book and that is based on observing muscle development in meat cutters and the jury's still out on that one.

But if you get tired with high-note exercises, do them on alternate days to give your chops a rest. Otherwise do them daily just like you do anything else. In other words, IMO it's not dogma.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
axelbrooks

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had the pleasure of trying out Walter Smith's Top Tone Scales and I must say they are some of the most interesting and unique scales I have ever played. They are incredibly versatile and are great for creating interesting musical ideas. The tones are full and rich and have a great depth to them. It's a great tool for any aspiring musician looking to expand their musical palette. Highly recommended.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand. It's been a while since I looked at this book but aren't these just diatonic scales and chromatics?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Walter Smith Top Tone Scales Reply with quote

lloyd56ebone wrote:
Should i practice them everyday or not?

As long as you are keeping "good form" and keeping the chops relatively fresh on a daily basis, you can play them everyday.

Every other day is just an easy way of making sure you aren't creating and instilling bad habits due to bad form or fatigue. Quality over quantity, until it's "easy" and then quality and quantity. 1 minute of "perfection" is going to be worth more than 10 minutes of "decent."
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible unpopular opinion alert:

I think those first page scales are very specifically notated to focus on air. Yes, this will end up 'building chops' however, I don't agree that this puts the first page into any kind of dangerous-to-do-every-day chop building exercises. The key is to focus on the air management to allow for (exaggerated) accents, supported staccato, and consistency of sound from low to high (and back).

Top Tones is a great book, and among many other things I'll remain musically indebted to Charlie Schlueter for the remainder of my trumpet-playing days, his assigning (and forcing us to sight-read!) these etudes came exactly when I needed them in my musical development.

Happy practicing, from the scales through the ridiculous,
-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Picc;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
daniel332

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the general advice is to do range exercises every other day, the text suggests daily practice of scales. It's worth considering incorporating both elements into your practice routine. You can focus on range exercises every other day and practice scales daily to develop a solid foundation and maintain dexterity.

Ultimately, it's important to find a balance that works for you. Listening to your body and seeking guidance from a music teacher can help you tailor your practice routine to your specific needs and abilities.

Keep up the good work and happy practicing!
Just_Another_Hack

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Range is 99% embouchure technique and coordination. You must ditch the idea that it has anything to do with building muscle. It's much more like riding a unicycle than weightlifting.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just_Another_Hack wrote:
Range is 99% embouchure technique and coordination. You must ditch the idea that it has anything to do with building muscle. It's much more like riding a unicycle than weightlifting.

This is the way it is for me. I struggled with range and endurance for 50 years. In the last 3 years I have figured out the embouchure that works for me. I can play up to F above high C easily. I haven't found the limit of my endurance yet. I found this practicing the Balanced Embouchure book. It enabled me to find what works for me.

Having said that, I find the Top Tones for the Trumpeter book to be a useful tool for practicing in the high range.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: