• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wireless/Clip on Microphones

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
surferbob

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 8:20 am    Post subject: Wireless/Clip on Microphones Reply with quote

Does anyone have recommendations for wireless/clip on microphones?

I need one for an upcoming gig and from my research I don't really know where to begin as there are so many options. Ideally I need something that is durable and will last, preferably under $200, and something that doesn't pick up the sound of valves hitting the keys. What have people here had success with?
lschofield

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shure 98s were most of the recommendations I received: https://chucklevins.com/collections/condenser-microphones?page=1&rb_snize_facet27=Instrument%20Clip-On

I went with the Beta version - handles higher pressure which is good for trumpet, and still inside your budget. Pretty sound isolated for key noise - I haven't noticed any and I've recorded with it. It does pick up key noise if I'm not blowing through it, but so does a mic on a stand.

There are other manufacturers with competing product; this is not a comprehensive review of the options. But, this was the salesperson's recommendation and its worked well for me.

Note wireless version is more because of the transmitter, but I don't dance around when I play. The beta version needs phantom power to drive built in pre-amp.
1975 Benge (LA)
1972 Olds Ambassador
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been using this one for over a year with no issues.

Originally I had purchased a wireless setup, but the trumpet sounded too synthetic. After some research I realized that wired mics sound closer to a natural trumpet sound versus the wireless options.

From my experience, I’d go with a clip on wired mic.

Shure PGA98H-XLR Cardioid... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TTQLKHS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
krell1960
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lschofield wrote:
The Shure 98s were most of the recommendations I received: https://chucklevins.com/collections/condenser-microphones?page=1&rb_snize_facet27=Instrument%20Clip-On

I went with the Beta version - handles higher pressure which is good for trumpet, and still inside your budget. Pretty sound isolated for key noise - I haven't noticed any and I've recorded with it. It does pick up key noise if I'm not blowing through it, but so does a mic on a stand.

There are other manufacturers with competing product; this is not a comprehensive review of the options. But, this was the salesperson's recommendation and its worked well for me.

Note wireless version is more because of the transmitter, but I don't dance around when I play. The beta version needs phantom power to drive built in pre-amp.

+1 on the beta, this is a great mike, i also don't go wireless because i have no need to, but as far as durability and sound it can't be beat. That's why Botti uses it and he is wireless.
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shure 98 his the best I've used-that's what I used when on tour.
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
surferbob

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! Your answers were very helpful
herbievantetering

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Audio Technica ATM 350 is quite good, you can aldo use it for live but you need a pedal with feedback elimination like the Zoom A1 Four.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shure Beta 98H/C

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002GZSR2?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder-t1_k7_1_11&amp=&crid=25LFEC2OS41SV&amp=&sprefix=shure+beta+

It's $20 over your $200 top end budget, but IMO it's worth it. I've used this mic for years - I used it in the wedding band for well over a decade, and recently I bought my own. (The one from the wedding band was owned by the band LLC)

It'll sound great and it will last you for years. The one thing to keep in mind though is that it's a condenser mic so the board needs 48v of phantom power to run it, but there are solutions to get around that that don't cost a lot - most boards have phantom power though so it shouldn't be an issue.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shure Beta 98, but give the Shure PGA 98 a serious look. I bought one for a backup and for my saxophone playing wife to use as a second mic and it sounds GREAT. Same build quality as the Beta 98 and much less money (about $150).

I have an AKG C519M and it also sounds great. Best build quality and clip I have seen for $250.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
superviking805
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was worried about a cllip-on mic picking up valve noise after reading a few reviews.
Guess what?
They all do.
Its not an issue. It doesn't sound good if everything is quiet, but once you start playing the much greater volume of the horn completely covers any mechanical noise.
I bought a $60 amazon Sax/Trumpet mic for infrequent use and am very happy with it.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not what the OP wants but a good while ago I scored a wireless mike from AMT that has been surprisingly good. It's designed perhaps a bit better than some regarding vibration isolation. The price for the current offering is about 5x what the OP has budgeted.
https://appliedmicrophone.com/product/q7-p800-mini/
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can these (the recommendations) work with a mute stuck in the bell mouth?
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few options that don't clamp onto the bell, they clamp onto the fixed part of the 3rd slide. SD Systems used to (not sure they're still in business) and some AMT choices do that.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the Shure Beta 98, been using one for about a year, no issues at all.

Brad
herbievantetering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For normal priced microphones the ATM 350 is more than adequate.

For high end microphones, the Neumann MCM 114 Cardioid Capsule is transparent, lightweight, connectable and can handle all pressure levels.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Wireless/Clip on Microphones Reply with quote

surferbob wrote:

I need one for an upcoming gig and from my research I don't really know where to begin as there are so many options. Ideally I need something that is durable and will last, preferably under $200, and something that doesn't pick up the sound of valves hitting the keys. What have people here had success with?

I added the bold/underline to the OP.

I've used a Shure SM11 clip on mic for years. It works well as a non-wireless clip-on mic. It is somewhat gain-dependent, but doesn't require phantom power like most clip-on mics. The problem with the valve noise is more of a function of the mount, not the mic. I use an AT mount that suspends the mic, and have no problem with valve noise.

More specific to the OP's desire to find a wireless/clip-on mic under $200, I just purchased and NUX B6 wireless microphone system (with mic, transmitter, and receiver) for $199. It's suppose to be for saxophones, but works fine with trumpets, clarinets, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/NUX-Saxophone-Operation-High-Resolution-Microphone/dp/B09BQJZ83G

In my initial testing today, it worked nice. Clear sound. No noticeable delay. In addition, it has a suspension mount, so it wasn't picking up any valve noise.

In addition, there was no problem with line-of-site. My understanding is that wireless mics work best when there is line-of-site between the Tx and Rx. The system was picking up my horn in my house two rooms away.

I have a gig this weekend, and will run the mic through its paces then.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother with wireless unless you truly need the mobility. If you're in a section and not moving around stage while playing, wireless isn't worth the cost or sound trade offs. I have used the Audi Technica Pro35 and ATM350. You might find a used ATM350 in you budget and it's noticeably better. The PRO35 is the best value on the market, for me. SHURE make excellent products as well and I'd bet the PGA98 would do the trick. They will probably very in sound which will be personal to the player. If you can order both and keep one, I would go that route.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:
Don't bother with wireless unless you truly need the mobility. If you're in a section and not moving around stage while playing, wireless isn't worth the cost or sound trade offs. I have used the Audi Technica Pro35 and ATM350. You might find a used ATM350 in you budget and it's noticeably better. The PRO35 is the best value on the market, for me. SHURE make excellent products as well and I'd bet the PGA98 would do the trick. They will probably very in sound which will be personal to the player. If you can order both and keep one, I would go that route.

This. 👆

Brad
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Wireless/Clip on Microphones Reply with quote

surferbob wrote:

Hate them never use them. jw
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:

You can combine the microphone (Audio Technica Pro 35) with:
1) Analog: Shure BLX1 wireless transmitter + BLX24 receiver; 50 to 15,000 Hz (dependent on microphone type), runtime up to 14 hours, or
2) Digital: Shure PGXD1 wireless transmitter + PGXD4 receiver; 24-bit, 48 kHz, runtime up to 9 hours.

Make sure that the transmitter and the receiver operate on the same frequency band and the same channel. If they do not, there will be complete silence occasionally interrupted by another wireless transmitter further away, or RF from arcing, generated by trolleybuses, streetcars, welding etc.

With both options, but particularly with the digital (considerably more power-hungry), keep several pairs of fully charged high-capacity (2500 mAh) rechargeable AA batteries and a charger handy.

In either case, expect potential conflicts between your wireless transmitter/receiver and the transmitter/receiver used by the singer(s). There are multiple channels available within the same frequency band to avoid the overlap. You would have to readjust both the transmitter and for the receiver to change the channel and maintain the signal connection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: