• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dental Surgery and Implant

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject: Implants and Harry James Reply with quote

Understanding that virtually very few of us of are of the caliber of Harry James I want to relay an experience I had when I was playing with the great HJ.

We had a recording scheduled in Hollywood which was on the Phase 4 label and produced by Tutti Camarata. After the band got set up in the studio Tutti said to Harry, "have the guys tune up" and Harry said to Tutti, "we just play, we don't tune up".

We ran down the old HJ hits which was the idea for this recording. Record in Phase 4 quality the great hits Harry had recorded before. One take on everything except "Take The A Train" which Harry asked for an additional take for him to get a better solo down. That was it and Harry came over to me saying to "catch his part on the out chorus when we did the second take on "A Train". He did not play the out chorus where he had the lead over the section preferring to just get his second take on the solo and rest. Little did we realize Harry had all his lower teeth implanted four days prior. Now this was 1968 and implant technology was in the early stages but even though, serious dental work like that and to come in and play like he did, well like I said, very few are of the Harry James caliber.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Sustained note
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Implants and Harry James Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
Understanding that virtually very few of us of are of the caliber of Harry James I want to relay an experience I had when I was playing with the great HJ.

We had a recording scheduled in Hollywood which was on the Phase 4 label and produced by Tutti Camarata. After the band got set up in the studio Tutti said to Harry, "have the guys tune up" and Harry said to Tutti, "we just play, we don't tune up".

We ran down the old HJ hits which was the idea for this recording. Record in Phase 4 quality the great hits Harry had recorded before. One take on everything except "Take The A Train" which Harry asked for an additional take for him to get a better solo down. That was it and Harry came over to me saying to "catch his part on the out chorus when we did the second take on "A Train". He did not play the out chorus where he had the lead over the section preferring to just get his second take on the solo and rest. Little did we realize Harry had all his lower teeth implanted four days prior. Now this was 1968 and implant technology was in the early stages but even though, serious dental work like that and to come in and play like he did, well like I said, very few are of the Harry James caliber.

Tony, I'm sure that my dentist (who is also the principal trumpet at our community band) will truly appreciate this. I'm sending him your story.

Giv'at Shmuel
Israel

Trumpet: Schilke B1 (2005)
Mouthpiece: Schilke Soloiste MG1
(Marc Geujon) gold plated
----------------

Keep a sense of humor.
AllanWaris

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that awesome experience playing with Harry James. It's incredible how he rocked it in the studio even after serious dental surgery. Talk about dedication and talent!
Speaking of dental work, if you're looking for quality dental services, you might want to check out https://thehealthysmile.net/dental-services/invisalign-bay-village-ohio/. They offer a range of treatments to help align your teeth. It's impressive how Harry James didn't miss a beat, even with his recent dental implants. Dental technology has come a long way since then, and procedures like implants have advanced significantly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: