• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

MGM trumpeters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jvdtpt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: MGM trumpeters Reply with quote

Does anyone know who the 1st call trumpets were in the MGM Hollywood films of the 1930's-1940's? Also any of the other film studios during that time. Must have been a fun gig. They were monsters. Lots of work too.
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uan Rasey succeeded Rafeal Mendez, who had trouble keeping his vibrato out of his playing (according to Mr. Rasey, but credits Mendez as one of the great soloists of all time). His timing could not have been better; after 1939, the MGM musicals became the most popular films of their time: American in Paris, Singin' in the Rain among them, and his work years later on Chinatown imprinted his playing for an entirely new generation.

UR just celebrated his 88th on Sunday and I was happy to be there for my teach! Nicest guy on the planet.

Ed
lmaraya
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i Think Claude Gordon was one of them, but later though, not in the 30s. Rafael Mendez worked for a time there too, but not sure about the dates
Iguananaught
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maynard Ferguson played on the soundtrack for the 10 commandments. Not sure if that was MGM or not.
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mannie Klein was first trumpet at MGM before Mendez. I think he was there through much of the 1940s.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Pascharelli did a lot in the live radio scene; I think w/ NBC but I'm not sure. I'd be surprised if he didn't ever work for MGM.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claude Gordon was the 1st Trumpet Player for the CBS Staff Orchestra, and as such performed for most of the Columbia Pictures movies in the 50's and early 60's, and also most CBS Television shows including "I Love Lucy" with Wilbur Hatch as Musical Director.

Maynard performed as Paramount's 1st Trumpet player for a few years in the mid '50's. "The Ten Commandments" is the most famous of the movies he played on during that time. He later described those studio years as the years when he was able to really develop his golf playing, as the contract studio job only required a few hours each week of his time. Those were the days!

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mendez took over for Manny Klein as 1st trumpet after Manny was drafted into the Army after Pearl Harbor. Klein recommended Mendez for the position. Mendez was there as 1st trumpet until 1949, when his good friend, Uan Rasey took over.
Mendez was indeed terminated over his vibrato. The termination hit Mendez hard, but we all know what he did after it, don't we?
Rich T.
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mendez' vibrato wasn't what got him fired at MGM (after 10 yrs. there). It was his lack of jazz playing.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpt.hick wrote:
It was his lack of jazz playing.

Undoubtedly that was a factor. However...

Several years ago I was fortunate enough to spend an entire afternoon with Uan with quite a bit of that time being just he and me. We talked about many things, including his early years at MGM.

He told me the main reason Mendez was fired was "because of his vibrato... (in the minds of MGM's top offices)...he sounded too 'Mexican.' "

And in typical Uan sense of high spirituality and never wanting anything bad said about anyone, he was actually embarrassed to say that. Added that it was an entirely wrong decision, that there was never anything wrong with Raf's playing, but that it did then free him up to pursue the amazing solo & clinic career that we've all benefited from since.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
tptmed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a concert years ago with Johnny Green (Body and Soul, I Cover the Waterfront, etc,) who was head of MGM at the time. He took a sort of weird pride in telling the trumpet section "I'm the man who fired Raphael Mendez." He told us the reason was that Mendez couldn't blend with the section.
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we are all correct. There were issues with the vibrato AND the lack of jazz improvization that became more in style for soundtracks during the 1940s. Mendez used to tell people close to him that he would trade all of his incredible technique for 8 bars of good jazz. In discussing the MGM dismissal with his sons, I have heard many times that it was because of his lack of jazz ability. Rasey played second to him and would often take the lead parts if they needed a jazz style.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpt.hick wrote:
Mendez used to tell people close to him that he would trade all of his incredible technique for 8 bars of good jazz.

a true statement for MANY of us!

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not forget about Harold Mitchell. I'm not sure of his exact dates but 30's-40's sounds right to me.
Still Trying
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harold Mitchell played first trumpet in the Jazz Singer, which was the first sound movie. I don't know the year. He also played in the original King Kong and in Gone with the Wind. He was identified as play testing Olds trumpets in an ad dated 1939 and was identified in the ad as playing first trumpet in the MGM orchestra at the time.

http://rouses.net/trumpet/pmitchell.htm

Ollie's biography, when referring to his Dad, says Pappy played at MGM until he retired in 1948.

However, a Rafael Mendez biography from ITG states Pappy played 2nd trumpet at MGM and resigned in 1939. Mendez was hired to take his place and Mannie Kline was playing first ahead of both Pappy and Mendez.

What do we have that we did not receive, and if we received it, why do we glory, as if we received it not?
Josephtriscari

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know in the 1950’s-1961 the Trumpet section was…
Uan Rasey, Joe Triscari and Jimmy Zito…..
kgsmith1

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Stamp, 40s and 50s I think?
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgsmith1 wrote:
James Stamp, 40s and 50s I think?

I was in the 25th ID band in Hawaii the late seventies and studied with Bob Fleming who at that time was playing in the Honolulu Symphony. Bob was the lead trumpet in the LA Disney Studios from 1947-1958 and was good friends with Stamp who, Bob said, played 3rd in that studio.

I imagine some of those guys moved between studios while the lead players were probably contracted to one studio but this is just an assumption on my part; I imagine several on this forum have a more informed idea of the situation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: