• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach "Apollo" 17043 GYR

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bellm

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 11:07 am    Post subject: Apollo C trumpet Reply with quote

Might the 170 Apollo series have a C model in the future?
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:

...The mighty edgy Apollo

Oops. You forgot to capitalize...

The Mighty Edgy Apollo!

This horn...though I have not yet played it, so I'm just going by a.kemp's very credible-to-me report...kind of reminds me of the Olds Super Recording in that there's nothing really fancy about the horn (and it's not extremely pricey [yet!] compared to many other pro horns), but it very well might be a presently understated winner for many players in the years to come.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, my bad!

I really enjoy that thread because for years I have been pondering a trumpet that would sort of sound the exact opposite of what I play (and naturally sound like). The rotary sounds rotary-y (which is what I wanted and was looking for) and it being a light weight instrument it does not have the carrying power I need/want for commercial or so gigs.

My 43 is a great instrument but with the 43GH bell and the 43 pipe it also sounds quite warm though it is much more powerful than the Schmidt.

Records show that naturally I sound rather dark, think cornet, and therefore I have always wanted a really bright, edgy, and „aggressive“ sound for some gigs and have been looking at horns like the Commercial or the Mariachi but with kids and house and all, I just don’t have that amount of cash lying around (+ I have only seen VERY few used commercials - still pricey - and not a single used Mariachi over here).

Been looking at the Getzens/Edwards and the B&S MBX series, but again haven’t pulled the trigger. I guess I’ll wait until I find a used Apollo in a few years 😊
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
interfx
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm late to this thread, but I received my Bach 17043GYR (Apollo) trumpet this week and was surprised by how well it plays for me.

It has an open-blowing feel (w/ a GR65 series mouthpiece) and is very responsive in attacks. I like the lightweight body and 6 lead pipe on this trumpet; it works as a good combination. It slotted very well and worked great for me in a local big band on the lead book this week. It responds very well and stays open and full sounding when pushed above the staff.

The finish and craftsmanship are superb (as mentioned in a post above) and worth the wait! It is worth finding one of these at your local Bach dealer and trying it out. Are there any other Bach 17043GYR players out there?

I'll report back in a few weeks to see if my initial positive experience stands... (vs. the physiological effects of a new trumpet)
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interfx wrote:
I'm late to this thread, but I received my Bach 17043GYR (Apollo) trumpet this week and was surprised by how well it plays for me.

It has an open-blowing feel (w/ a GR65 series mouthpiece) and is very responsive in attacks. I like the lightweight body and 6 lead pipe on this trumpet; it works as a good combination. It slotted very well and worked great for me in a local big band on the lead book this week. It responds very well and stays open and full sounding when pushed above the staff.

The finish and craftsmanship are superb (as mentioned in a post above) and worth the wait! It is worth finding one of these at your local Bach dealer and trying it out. Are there any other Bach 17043GYR players out there?

I'll report back in a few weeks to see if my initial positive experience stands... (vs. the physiological effects of a new trumpet)

I already posted above. I’ve had mine for a few months now.
It’s a pretty electric horn! I use it quite a bit for B’way shows with excellent results. The 6R is not restrictive at all. Super solid horn with excellent clarity and projection. And a bargain price!!!
Fig
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked one of these up B stock. It’s a great playing trumpet. There’s a few little imperfections in the silver plating, which is why I think it was made B stock. One interesting thing about this horn is that it doesn’t actually say Apollo on the bell it says model 17043 GY. It doesn’t say GYR even though it is reverse pipe.

I’m wondering if others who have this horn have the word Apollo on the bell? I thought it was a really cool idea to resurrect the Apollo model and it’s kind of a bummer that for whatever reason it’s not on the bell. I also noticed on the website the word Apollo seem to appear anymore.

Last edited by Fig on Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fig wrote:
I just picked one of these up B stock. It’s a great playing trumpet. There’s a few little imperfections in the silver plating, which is why I think it was made B stock. One interesting thing about this horn is that it doesn’t actually say Apollo on the bell it says model 17043 GY. It doesn’t say GYR even though it is reverse pipe.

I’m wondering if others who have this horn have the word Apollo on the bell? I thought it was a really cool idea to resurrect the Apollo model and it’s kind of a bummer that for whatever reason it’s not on the bell. I also noticed on the website it doesn’t seem to appear anymore.

It is the first trumpet listed in the new Bach section
https://www.connselmer.com/bach-trumpet-in-bb-17043/5637197886.p?back=true&color=Lacquer+Finish&size=%28ML%29+.459%22+Bore&style=Deluxe+Hardshell+Case%2C+Bach+SP+7C+Mouthpiece

https://www.connselmer.com/bach-trumpets
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
Fig
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. What I meant to say is that the word Apollo doesn’t appear on the website.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fig wrote:
Sorry. What I meant to say is that the word Apollo doesn’t appear on the website.

Gotcha..
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I follow Bach Brass on Facebook. They posted photos this week of Bria Skonberg playing the 17043GYR in concert.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you watch snl you can hear Summer Camargo play on hers. She uses the 170 for her snl and the 19072v for her other jazz stuff.
interfx
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The model still exists, just now, without the 'Apollo' brand. The first ones built have the name 'Apollo' on the bell.

It's a great trumpet, hands down! It surprised me how well it plays. The 6R/2-piece G/Y brass 43 bell is a great combination!

Last edited by interfx on Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fig wrote:

I’m wondering if others who have this horn have the word Apollo on the bell? I thought it was a really cool idea to resurrect the Apollo model and it’s kind of a bummer that for whatever reason it’s not on the bell. I also noticed on the website the word Apollo seem to appear anymore.

Mine definitely had Apollo printed on the bell
gtownlead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving this thread, anybody still playing the 170? If you have moved on, why? Any new impressions?
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtownlead wrote:
Reviving this thread, anybody still playing the 170? If you have moved on, why? Any new impressions?

Moved on. Super fun horn. Electric sound. Solid intonation. Very good response. But, not enough core in the sound.

Considered keeping for B'way work. But, I really don't like going back and forth with equipment.

Since I play so much C trumpet, just made more sense to use a Bb that compliments that. And, Yamaha's are just built so much better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: