• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Harry James?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Harryat 55 Reply with quote

khedger wrote:
rothman wrote:
Tony Scodwell wrote:

No question he drank heavily, Smirnoff red label being his choice. He smoked somewhat but not packs a day. At the age of 55 he was still playing at the Harry James level of prior years and not until two years before he died did his playing suffer. Living to 67 was certainly not long enough but I spoke with him a week prior to his death and he said he wouldn't have changed a thing.

I heard Jerome Callet attribute his throat cancer to 2 packs a day. Glad to hear it was less than 2....or under a pack. You didn't mention the denture, but generally speaking, performance is going to change under that circumstance. How many bottles, fifths, he consumed in a day in not known. Perhaps he was a 'functioning alcoholic' along with a cast iron constitution. But he doesn't impress me as the same level of player at 55 that he was at 25. .

Not to be argumentative, and your point is well taken, but I don't think there are many monster players who at 55 play like they did when they were 25.
Am I wrong?

keith

Doc in his mid-50's I believe was a stronger player than he was in his mid-20's and he was awesome in his mid-20's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6wUZwuSIxM
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growing up in the 60's and 70's I didn't listen to Harry at all. I guess I felt his stuff was too corny. Sometime in the mid 70's I heard him on either Mike Douglas or Merv Griffin, I can't remember which.
He was really impressive and if he was over the hill I couldn't tell. He had to be around 60 at the time. He played the crap out of the horn whenever I heard him. I'll agree that he looked way older than most 60 somethings. I'm 64 and look way younger than Harry did at that age. Life on the road is hard and Harry's vices aged him I would imagine.
Someone mentioned Doc sounding better in his 50's than his 20's. Doc didn't spend near as much time on the road. He slept in his own bed most nights during the Carson years instead of riding all night on a bus. He was able to establish a regular practice routine and from what I've heard he's still practices a ton. That helps plus I've read he exercises regularly.
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Harry at 55 Reply with quote

khedger wrote:

Not to be argumentative, and your point is well taken, but I don't think there are many monster players who at 55 play like they did when they were 25.
Am I wrong?
keith

Fair statement. Not many elevated their playing into their 50's, though Doc may be one of them. His range seemed to improve as he got older. Otoh, his Command records are also some of his finest playing.

Last edited by rothman on Sun May 28, 2023 10:01 pm; edited 5 times in total
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:35 am    Post subject: Harry James Reply with quote

I grew up in the 60s and between my dad, an uncle, and one of dad's friends they kept me supplied with hifi and then stereo records of trumpet players or bands that they (and I )liked. I got a couple by Harry James. I don't know what people consider dated. I am sure Bix Beiderbeck would sound dated in 2020, too, but you could fill a big hall with players who would pay handsomely to hear him play again. I appreciate everything everybody contributed. Those who heard him play in person realize what they saw and heard.
olbrneyes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Harry James Reply with quote

My friend Tony Scodwell is 100% correct.
Harry James was 54 when I first met him and heard him in 1970.

I witnessed Harry play a double-high A at the end of the last set of a four-hour dance date.

His sound was enormous, and he played incredible Jazz.

For all of you who continue to have questions about Harry James, I would recommend that you purchase a copy of my book "Harry James-Trumpet Icon.

My book is not about the "National Enquirer" stuff in Harry's life. It is about his music and his mastery of the trumpet.

https://www.amazon.com/Harry-James-Trumpet-Icon-Centurys-Trumpet/dp/B08844WM19/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-drs1_0?crid=V2HHR6L8G2C6&cv_ct_cx=harry+james+trumpet+icon&dchild=1&keywords=harry+james+trumpet+icon&pd_rd_i=B08844WM19&pd_rd_r=b27de812-24ee-43f8-9c87-6863cc9ebdcb&pd_rd_w=9P53n&pd_rd_wg=Ly0Nt&pf_rd_p=ecbfa24d-f48c-4d5c-83aa-9549f4e7c925&pf_rd_r=VQG9S5QEP7SSFMJG9S0B&psc=1&qid=1603213917&sprefix=harry+james+%2Caps%2C464&sr=1-1-f6b8d51f-2c55-4dc3-89ad-0c3639671b2d
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that book on Harry, Chuck. I just started reading it the other night. I only planned to spend 30 minutes but I couldn't put the book down. Damn you, Chuck, you made me late for band practice...LOL !

All you Harry James fans, get this book. It is nothing like Trumpet Blues, thank God. This, as Chuck said, is about his music.

George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
olbrneyes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:
Thanks for that book on Harry, Chuck. I just started reading it the other night. I only planned to spend 30 minutes but I couldn't put the book down. Damn you, Chuck, you made me late for band practice...LOL !

All you Harry James fans, get this book. It is nothing like Trumpet Blues, thank God. This, as Chuck said, is about his music.

George

Then I've done my job George!
Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Par-Due-

I have ordered your book and just can't wait for it to arrive! I have read just about every book on Harry James out there, so receiving a new book about this fabulous musician is like having a Christmas wish answered!

Sincerely,

Steve
olbrneyes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Steve.
I hope you enjoy it!
Bird Lives

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Harry James? Reply with quote

soulfire wrote:
So it occurred to me the other day that as trumpet players we talk about a lot of the great past and present masters of our instrument, even though some of them passed away decades ago. One name that I used to hear all the time growing up from my grandparents was Harry James. Yet, I can't remember the last time I heard an actual trumpet player mention his name.

So I have to ask; was Harry James actually a good trumpet player by today's standards who deserves more appreciation (and if so, why do we never talk about him)? Or was he simply a popular band leader who's fame has faded as the generation that listened to his music disappears?

Woody Shaw; one of the last hugely influencial Modern Jazz Trumpet Innovators, told me with his own mouth that Harry James was one of his biggest influences and Idols. And how bummed he was that he never got to hear him live or meet him. I told Woody on the last set he had played, on a ballad he did, at the end of several phrases his vibrato turned into a lip trill in a lovely way. I was thinking the Louis influence. He said, "No, Harry's!" He said some of Harry's phrasing like that killed him, aswell as his articulation, technique, sound and energy.

I met Harry in the mid 70's and spent an afternoon and early evening hanging with him, watching the St Louis Cardinals and talking trumpet and Jazz. When Woody found out, he kept asking me questions about what was Harry like and what did he talk about. He really was a Harry James fan!

So I'm afraid the James influence is still alive through the playing of great innovators who were highly influenced by him. And in several generations everyone was.

And of course there is the famous Red Rodney telling Charlie Parker, "I used to want to be Harry James." And Bird said, "That's Cool, sometimes I want to be Harry James too!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: