• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Internal differences between the Xeno and Neo Cornet

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 2:16 am    Post subject: Internal differences between the Xeno and Neo Cornet Reply with quote

Hi all

I've just bought myself an as new Neo to replace my old and tired Xeno (both are the same configuration, yellow brass bell in lacquer). The two cornets look identical down to the last trigger screw, except for the Neo having a gold brass lead pipe, tuning slide crook, and crook where the tuning slide enters the third valve. I haven't sat down and actually compared the two, but I know pretty much what my Xeno looks like after having played it daily for over nine years (it was used when I bought it). Apart from the introduction of the gold brass, I'd say that visually they are identical.

However I feel that the Neo plays and sounds more open, and this has translated to better endurance.

I no longer have any photo hosting software, so cannot easily show you what I mean, but if you look at the photo on the following link, you will see a metal loop which the main waterkey would presumably push back against. Rather than a loop, this is actually two upside down L shapes, that almost join in the middle to make a rectangle. I presume that these are shaped from the ends of the water key springs. My Xeno has one side missing (I have no idea how or when), the water key spring has slightly less tension, and the cork is not probably not that great. I wonder whether I have a slight water key leak, which would explain the difference in playability, as I've been feeling for sometime that there is some slight leak somewhere in my Xeno. Also, my Xeno's 1st slide trigger seems to vibrate a bit, whereas the Neo one is firm. I've obviously checked that the screws on the Xeno are not lose. They are however not over tight either. I don't want to fiddle with the Neo ones, as that is playing so well, so maybe they should be tighter.

https://www.johnpacker.co.uk/prod/yamaha-ycr8335s-neo-neo-bb-cornet

I bought my Xeno used for a reasonable price with a few bell bow dents, and it unexplicably gained a few more around five years ago. I can only concur that somebody must have knocked it over when I left my cornet temporarily unattended on its cornet stand (I don't do that with my Neo). I had played it on two consecutive rehearsals in different bands before I noticed it, and although I tactfully asked, nobody ever owned up. I also managed to kick it over myself a month or so ago in the band room, after tripping on the way back from the photocopier owing to being less sure footed because of having had toe surgery. It took me half hour to find the extra dent.

I have a feeling that the only difference may be that my Xeno could do with a bit of work, but people do say that the Neo has a better upper register. Are there any actual known differences which would explain this, other than a change of material?

Actually, I have just thought of one other difference. The main water key chimney is taller on the Neo than Xeno, like it is taller on the Xeno II trumpet than the original Xeno. I have no idea what difference this makes, only that the Xeno II trumpet is in my opinion overal significantly different to the original Xeno, which was a lot more like the 6335HII. I wasn't very sure what the differences were between the 6335HII and original Xeno, and I'm feeling the same between the Xeno and Neo cornets.

I'm however very pleased with the Neo, even if the main difference is it simply being in better playing condition.

What please are your thoughts?

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told it was the same instrument apart from the materials difference. However, Yamaha have been playing around with different venturi for their trumpet leadpipes. It would not surprise me if they went to a larger venturi on the Neo which would explain it feeling freer blowing.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
I was told it was the same instrument apart from the materials difference. However, Yamaha have been playing around with different venturi for their trumpet leadpipes. It would not surprise me if they went to a larger venturi on the Neo which would explain it feeling freer blowing.

Hi GordonH

Thank you very much. You may be right about the Neo having a larger ventuir, but I have a feeling that it is the same, and the differences in blow, are is just my Xeno needing a bit of work. I'd be interested in comparing a new old stock Xeno with a new Neo. I have a feeling that they would blow the same.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can measure the venturii using a pencil (sharpened end).

Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
You can measure the venturii using a pencil (sharpened end).

Thank you very much. By how much it inserts?
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a tool for doing it. Its conical like a pencil end. I paint it with a black marker pen, push it in and rotate it. That makes a line. You could do that with ap encil but make a little groove. Then use the same pencil on the other instrument and see which is bigger.

Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
I have a tool for doing it. Its conical like a pencil end. I paint it with a black marker pen, push it in and rotate it. That makes a line. You could do that with ap encil but make a little groove. Then use the same pencil on the other instrument and see which is bigger.

Thank you very much, this is really appreciated.

Take care and best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
areciboy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually went to a youth brass band camp in 2019 conducted by David King, who consulted for Yamaha in designing those horns. I had a conversation with him about them and he said Yamaha changed the alloy used for the leadpipe because of red rot susceptibility... maybe for other reasons too. He preferred the original Xeno design, said it had a rounder/darker sound, and I gotta say I agree. All the Xeno cornets I've tried are just really good, solid horns. I don't have any experience with the Neo to speak of but have heard really good things.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

areciboy wrote:
I actually went to a youth brass band camp in 2019 conducted by David King, who consulted for Yamaha in designing those horns. I had a conversation with him about them and he said Yamaha changed the alloy used for the leadpipe because of red rot susceptibility...

Hi areciboy

Thanks very much. This is very interesting. I was pretty certain that red rot susceptibility was the real reason for the change to gold brass for the leadpipe, tuning slide crook and crook where the tuning slide enters the third slide.

The official reasons are (taken from the Yamaha UK website):

The use of gold brass for the lead-pipe, connection tube and main tuning slide give these cornets a rich, flexible sound and excellent response in the higher register.

Gold brass has been newly adopted to a part of the tube leading from the leadpipe to the valves, delivering a depth of sound and a richness in tonal variety that are required for British brass bands.

Everyone seems to be saying that the Neo has a better upper register, so maybe gold brass for these parts does improve the response in the higher register, but my gut feeling is that red rot susceptibility was the primary reason. I'm still not sure whether the Neo does have a better upper register. It does seem a little more open to me, but my Neo in general feels and sounds more open than my Xeno (please see https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=162418 )

maybe for other reasons too. He preferred the original Xeno design, said it had a rounder/darker sound, and I gotta say I agree.

Again, this is interesting. I'd agree that the Xeno has a round/dark sound, but I think that the Neo is darker personally, possibly because of gold brass leadpipe etc.

All the Xeno cornets I've tried are just really good, solid horns.

Yes.

I don't have any experience with the Neo to speak of but have heard really good things.

I had never even tried a Neo until recently. The only other difference I can see, is that the Neo has a taller main waterkey chimney, like the Xeno II trumpet, which is one of the differences between the Xeno I and Xeno II trumpets.

I feel that the Neo cornet has a bigger, more open sound, plays more open and has a slightly larger dynamic range than the Xeno, but I'm not convinced that this is not just a difference between my two cornets.

I would be very interested if anyone definitely knows of any other differences than a gold brass leadpipe etc., and a taller main waterkey chimney.

Thanks very much again

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone who has had two replacement leadpipes on a Xeno, having never experienced any rot in a lifetime of playing. She is in her late 50s.

Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
I know someone who has had two replacement leadpipes on a Xeno, having never experienced any rot in a lifetime of playing. She is in her late 50s.

Hi GordonH

That is a real shame. My Xeno has three isolated moderately small spots of red rot, one on the big bend of the leadpipe and the other two on the tuning slide crook. They were on it when I bought it. I bought it used for a good price from a big retailer, trying it on approval, and the spots were already there. They didn't believe that the spots were red rot, but they definitely are, since two are on the tuning slide crook (both on the same side, just before each leg), and you can see them on the inside by shining a light in the tuning slide.

It was probably stupid at the same time, but I accepted the cornet, with a 3 year indemnity (after providing photos), that they would replace both the leadpipe and tuning slide crook, if it got any worse within three years. I've been very careful to swab out my Xeno after each playing, and to generally keep it very clean, and I've had this cornet almost 9 1/2 years, and the red rot has not progressed any further. Maybe I've been lucky, but I do think that swabbing out the leadpipe and tuning slide everytime is most of it.

I'm just as meticulous with the Neo, but I am very glad that it has gold brass on these areas.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked both Yamaha Europe (via their website enquiry form), and Yamaha Music London (a big Yamaha store in London), the difference between the Xeno and Neo cornets, specifically whether there were any other differences than the gold brass lead pipe, tuning slide crook, and crook where the tuning slide enters the 3rd valve, and taller main water key chimney.

I’m still waiting to hear back from Yamaha Europe, but Yamaha Music London say:

Dear Louise,

Thank you for your email and we are sorry for the delay in replying. These are the only differences in the 2 cornets. I think the Neo has a warmer sound, personally, due to the gold brass addition, but there are no other differences, as far as we are aware.

Yours sincerely
David

Yamaha Music London
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the Neo has a warmer sound. I could immediately hear it. Even though I feel that my Neo plays and sounds more open, I suspected that it is just that my Neo is in better playing condition, and it turns out that they are internally identical.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise, thank you for the information on the Neo cornet. You mention buying your Neo used, I believe. Did yours come with the Neo case provided by Yamaha? If so, I'm curious what sort of room there is inside the case for mutes, or does it require a separate bag for those?
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Louise, thank you for the information on the Neo cornet.

Hi RandyTX

You are very welcome.

You mention buying your Neo used, I believe.

Yes, I did.

Did yours come with the Neo case provided by Yamaha?

Yes.

If so, I'm curious what sort of room there is inside the case for mutes, or does it require a separate bag for those?

Yes, there is room for mutes. As far as i'm aware, the Neo case is the same case as the one that came with my Xeno cornet (I can't compare them as the one for my Xeno is in the loft (attic), but with a Neo rather than Xeno badge. My Xeno now lives in the case for my Neo, as I don't use the case for my Neo.

It looks like this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374592968926?

I don't like the case to be honest. Admittedly I didn't have any mutes in the case, as I have a separate mute bag, but when I took the Neo to my brass band the first time I tried it, I kept it in its own case as I was still trying it on a two week approval. I put my case down to talk to someone on the way out, standing it upright on its legs rather than laying it down as if to open it, and someone very slightly brushed past it, and it fell down on to its side. There was no damage to the cornet. The case seems well made and well designed, but being a hard case, it has no backpack straps or external pockets, and the handle is a bit hard and uncomfortable to carry. There is also no music storage in the lid, or additional storage under the cornet. You can see all the storage in the above photo, which is two mouthpiece holders and a decent size mute compartment.

What however puts me off it, is how light it is. With no mutes or cornet stand in the case, it is really light, and very easily tips over if you stand it upright, and putting it down flat risks someone stepping on it. It is considerably lighter than a Besson Sovereign cornet case, and slightly smaller with less mute storage.

Maybe putting mutes in increases the weight sufficiently to stop it from being so easy to knock over. Like I say, I use a separate case and mute bag.

All the best

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs

Last edited by Louise Finch on Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
It looks like this one: . . .

Hey Louise -- the link below does the same thing as yours. The rest is just superfluous junk that only serves to stretch the thread window way beyond the limits of the screen:

(How about editing your post? )

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise, you made some interesting comments on the case. I mainly asked simply because I feel like I need 3 different gig bags lately.

I was hoping to just use the stock case for Brass Band, since it's basically the only time I use a cornet out and about anymore with only rare exceptions.

I have a Coyote 2.5 for orchestra mainly, that can take two full size trumpets (usually a C and a Bb) along with a picc, with an attached external mute bag and it's very protective of the horns inside.

For commercial or big band stuff, I usually have a different Bb and flugel in a cronkhite style triple, with plenty of room for mutes and other gear inside it.

As far as music goes, I've pretty much moved to keep everything on an ipad now, so storage for that isn't such an issue anymore.

Meanwhile, back to the Neo cornet itself...

I have learned that it comes a few different ways, lacquer or silver plate the main options, but also either finish can be combined with either a yellow brass or a gold brass bell. Yamaha's literature says the latter is a special order thing, so not as common, but some dealers, like Thomann in Germany, have it in stock, but refuse to ship it to the US for some reason, citing Yamaha wants it that way, even though the Neo is available from US dealers (when you can find it in stock).

I assume yours has the yellow brass bell, since you only talk about different brass alloy materials for the leadpipe. I'm curious if you, or anyone you have played with in a brass band setting has tried the gold brass bell version? If so, your thoughts on playing or sonic differences?
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
It looks like this one: . . .

Hey Louise -- the link below does the same thing as yours. The rest is just superfluous junk that only serves to stretch the thread window way beyond the limits of the screen:

(How about editing your post? )

Hi Halflip

Have done. Didn't realise this, or would have obviously lol not posted it this way in the first place.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Louise, you made some interesting comments on the case. I mainly asked simply because I feel like I need 3 different gig bags lately.

Hi RandyTX

I'm glad that my comments were of some use.

I was hoping to just use the stock case for Brass Band, since it's basically the only time I use a cornet out and about anymore with only rare exceptions.

I fully understand.

I have a Coyote 2.5 for orchestra mainly, that can take two full size trumpets (usually a C and a Bb) along with a picc, with an attached external mute bag and it's very protective of the horns inside.

I have a number of double cases. I generally carry Bb trumpet and cornet together. I play in a community light orchestra, that I always feel is repertoire wise rather like a concert band, except for it obviously having an orchestra set-up in terms of instrumentation.

Although I could use trumpet or even cornet for everything, I tend to use cornet when the piece is labelled cornet, and also for marches and some overtures. I like to do Gilbert and Sullivan on the cornet, and I think that the selection is marked cornet anyhow. For this reason, I keep my Bb trumpet and cornet in the following case, which is the only double one I've found that will hold a modern wide wrapped short model cornet like my Neo:

https://www.johnpacker.co.uk/prod/jp851-pro-lightweight-double-trumpet-case

I also play in a symphony orchestra, and the librarian has discussed the parts with me for Syliva (Delibes). There are only two of us on trumpet, and two trumpet and two cornet parts. I've chosen to play the cornet parts, as they are more melodic and substational. I'll therefore need Bb trumpet and cornet for my symphony orchestra also.

Since the symphony orchestra is on a Monday evening, and community light orchestra on a Tuesday morning, I wouldn't have bothered swapping cases, if I had have needed Bb and C trumpet this season in my symphony orchestra, and would have just carried my C in a separate single case. Being a Brit, we tend to use Bb for most things anyhow, so I don't think I'm going to need my C this orchestral season. I use a separate mute bag.

For commercial or big band stuff, I usually have a different Bb and flugel in a cronkhite style triple, with plenty of room for mutes and other gear inside it.

I have a double flugel and trumpet case with no room for mute storage, but since I use the same trumpet for everything, I keep it in its double case with my cornet, and bring my separate mute bag. I can park outside the hall, so multiple cases are no problem.

As far as music goes, I've pretty much moved to keep everything on an ipad now, so storage for that isn't such an issue anymore.

Interesting. I still carry music pads. I carry them in a cloth carrier bag style bag, with an open top, so that my music stand can stick out of the top.

Meanwhile, back to the Neo cornet itself...

I have learned that it comes a few different ways, lacquer or silver plate the main options, but also either finish can be combined with either a yellow brass or a gold brass bell. Yamaha's literature says the latter is a special order thing, so not as common, but some dealers, like Thomann in Germany, have it in stock, but refuse to ship it to the US for some reason, citing Yamaha wants it that way, even though the Neo is available from US dealers (when you can find it in stock).

I assume yours has the yellow brass bell, since you only talk about different brass alloy materials for the leadpipe. I'm curious if you, or anyone you have played with in a brass band setting has tried the gold brass bell version? If so, your thoughts on playing or sonic differences?

I've play both belled versions of the Xeno rather than the Neo, but as I have said previously, the Xeno and Neo are literally the same cornet except for the Neo having a gold brass leadpipe, main tuning slide crook, and crook where the tuning slide enters the third slide, and a taller chimney on the main water key.

All four configurations are readily available in the UK, but my understanding is that the yellow brass bell is more popular in lacquer, and the gold brass bell in silver-plate, presumably because lacquer warms the sound and compensates to some extent for the yellow brass bell, and silver-plate brightens the sound and compensates to some extent for the gold brass bell.

My Neo has the yellow brass bell in lacquer. My Xeno is in the same configuration. I'm about to get changed to leave for a brass band gig, so I'll reply again later or tomorrow, to explain the differences I found between the yellow and gold brass bell options.

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs

Last edited by Louise Finch on Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again RandyTX

As a caveat, I naturally have a warmer sound. Other players have played my cornet and mouthpiece combination, and sounded brighter on it, some considerably brighter. Maybe it is just my personal experience from the limited number of players I have played together with at any one time, but as a generality, I personally feel that female players tend to have less bright sounds. Maybe I’m wrong in this regard.

Anyway, I’ve tried three of the four Xeno cornet combinations, as all four combinations of the Xeno and now Neo, were/are readily available in the UK.

I started off by comparing the yellow brass bell in silver-plate to the gold brass bell in silver-plate.

With me on the end, I felt that the yellow brass bell was pure, bright and clear, but maybe just that little bit bright for British Brass Band cornet playing. I however still preferred my sound on the yellow brass bell to the gold brass bell, which although warmer, sounded a little duller in my hands.

The goldilocks for me was the yellow brass bell model in lacquer. The same pure, bright and clear sound, but with just the edge of the brightness rounded off. I love my sound on this model.

My Xeno II trumpet and Neo cornet are also yellow brass belled models in lacquer. I haven’t tried the other combinations for either of these.

I hope that this will help.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: