• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet/Flugelhorn gig bag?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew.sb6

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: Trumpet/Flugelhorn gig bag? Reply with quote

I was wondering what is a good option for a gig bag that can hold a trumpet, flugelhorn, and has lots of extra room for other accessories and mutes.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of three horn gig bags, a ProTec and a Reunion Blues, that can accommodate a Bb trumpet, fluglehorn (Getzen 4 valve) and all the mutes most of us have. And the ProTec has outside pockets for mouth pieces music etc. More than I want to carry!
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
TJTS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Messina Covers if you want a higher quality gig bag that can be customized (to a certain degree) to your needs:

https://messinacovers.com
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Trumpet/Flugelhorn gig bag? Reply with quote

Andrew.sb6 wrote:
I was wondering what is a good option for a gig bag that can hold a trumpet, flugelhorn, and has lots of extra room for other accessories and mutes.

If you want to carry all that in one bag, I've got a can of spinach I'll sell you.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Protec, Gard, Bonna, Reunion Blues, Cronkhite are a few reasonably good choices.

I currently have one of these: https://www.brassbags.co.uk/Store/Premier-Flugel-Trumpet-Gig-Bag-p252472464

If you’re accident prone, Protec, Bags of Spain and Raw Brass make hard shell cases.

There are other options as well. Google is your friend.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.protecstyle.com/DELUXE-TRIPLE-HORN-BAG-W-MUTE-BAG
I've got one in leather and I just bought one for my son in nylon. These cases hold a ton of extra gear.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject: G. Reply with quote

Been using my Fusion triple bag for close to 10 years. It’s the only bag I use and it holds everything I need for orchestra or big band. Very comfortable to carry and I use it also when biking to a rehearsal or gig.

https://www.fusion-bags.com/products/pb-triple-trumpet-gig-bag

I have the old version with the grey and black rather than the colors.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
ken_k

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Cronkhite Trumpet Triple "Super" (https://reverb.com/item/40144980-trumpet-gig-bag-super-triple-trumpet-cordura-glenn-cronkhite) functions and looks great.
1956 Martin Committee #2
1972 Selmer Radial 75 Bb Trumpet
1976 Selmer Radial 99 C/Bb Trumpet
Yamaha 8315G Flugel
Schilke XA1 Cornet
Brasspire P7 Pocket
Kumara999
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose - I just got a super good deal on a used fusion triple. The bag is great - feels more protective than the gard and reunion blues ones that i was looking at and with the back straps super versatile.
Dlugo92

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I've got one in leather and I just bought one for my son in nylon. These cases hold a ton of extra gear.

I second this recommendation. It holds 3 trumpets including with a flugel or 2 plus a bunch of extra space for stuff.
TrumpetTAC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:

Add me to the list. I have used this case for YEARS without any damage to horns. Several years ago I upgraded to this newer version and I really like the straps on the lid, they hold my stand light. It can get heavy with three horns in it so I do not use the mute bag, I have a different Protec one that I carry separately. Another feature I like is that because it is top loading, I can put this under my chair and pull out a horn when I need it.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gard makes some really good bags.

I have a Gard 9-MSK, a.k.a the Doublers Trumpet/Flugel bag. When I bought it new four years ago it seemed a little too snug, and I only gave it a 3-star review, but as I've used it I've grown to appreciate it more and it's held up very well--the workmanship is outstanding. The more I've used it, the better the memory foam has adjusted for my horns and they fit much better now. I usually don't carry two full-sized trumpets in it--I usually carry a flugel, Bb trumpet, and piccolo or short model cornet, though if you're just carrying a trumpet and flugel it leaves lots of room for mutes and stuff (see the first video link below).

It's a very good bag for the price. WWBW.com has it for $146.00, at least fifty bucks less than the nearest competing bag. You can get it from them in leather for around $200 and some change. Gard has other bags available as well for a little more money, including the triple that Jens Lindemann somehow crams five horns into (see the 2nd YouTube link below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=035prNFLRCY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u693q3KCovU
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Trumpet/Flugelhorn gig bag? Reply with quote

Andrew.sb6 wrote:

A lot of it depends on what you really want and what you really need.

Years ago I splurged and bought an all-leather Reunion Blues triple trumpet gig bag. Gorgeous bag. I used it a lot.

When I bought my Kanstul flugel from PiCK Music in York, PA, they threw in a ProTec trumpet/flugel combo case. It's a large case - the flugel lays on its side and the trumpet sits vertically on the valve bottoms. With that said, was a semi-hard case - nylon wrapped plywood. It also had a huge side pocket that was big enough to fit all kinds of accessories and goodies in addition to a 1" 3 ring binder. The only downside is that it doesn't have room for mutes, but I always had an accessory bag for mutes, stands, and anything else that wouldn't fit in the case.

I liked that case so well I sold the Reunion Blues bag because it had spent a couple of years just sitting on the shelf unused.

When I sold the Kanstul flugel, I sold the ProTec case with it, so when I started gigging again and needed a new case, ultimately I ended up getting the same ProTec case I had before.

To me, it's great protection for no more than it costs, and it will protect better than any soft sided case. I once accidentally dropped that case on a stairwell where it tumbled to the bottom. Everything inside was fine. Try that with a soft case.

Amazon Choice for $139.

https://www.amazon.com/Protec-Trumpet-Flugel-Combination-PB301F/dp/B0007Y88GC/ref=sr_1_2?hvadid=409949237490&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9007849&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=17714153945067625659&hvtargid=kwd-424102023824&hydadcr=29676_12010765&keywords=protec+trumpet+flugelhorn+case&qid=1689561348&sr=8-2
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Kumara: Heather, great to hear that! I bought mine when I joined a soul/pop band in 2014 or so and needed at least one hand to hold on to some place in crowded subways. I never have more than two instruments in it and use the rest of the space for music, mutes, lights, etc.

I was thinking about upgrading to the nice colored one but then decided only wanting to change color and selling an otherwise perfect bag is a little silly I may however sell my Schagerl double trumpet bag I bought for the rotary. It’s a great case, too, but I just find myself using the Fusion all the time.

Hope you are doing good,
Andreas
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: