• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bucket mute

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 11:45 pm    Post subject: Bucket mute Reply with quote

Lately I've been fascinated by the sound of the bucket mute.

Everyone wants to play dark, and all you have to do is place a bucket mute on the bell and enjoy the velvety sound of the trumpet.

Trumpet: Yamaha 8310Z
Mouthpiece: the great Yamaha11b4

Sax tenor: Yamaha YTS 23
Mouthpiece: Otto link tone edge
plunkett
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use mine at church quite a bit. It takes the edge off and makes my choir director happy!
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plunkett wrote:
I use mine at church quite a bit. It takes the edge off and makes my choir director happy!

That gives me an idea.

I play a cantata every Christmas and Easter at a local church, and it's all gospel rock stuff - lots of high and fairly aggressive lines - but the sanctuary isn't really designed for that kind of playing - it can overpower that room pretty easily, so it's a balancing act to keep things manageable from a volume perspective.

I wonder if using a bucket mute would be a good way to attenuate some of that edge and volume. I'll give it a try the next time I play there.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would certainly give me another option in my chamber orchestra besides a cup mute or flugelhorn. Good idea. I haven't used one in about 45 years.

Those of you who use bucket mutes, what brand do you like? We've had discussions here about cup mutes, but I don't recall one on bucket mutes. It would be nice to hear about intonation, range, tone, and volume.
MarkZ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favorite bucket mute by far: Peter Gane
Kanstul 1525 flugel
Monette Prana B2S3, B2FL, B2LS3
Monette Prana FLG2
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been pondering a bucket pretty much for church use for awhile but haven’t actually ordered any. Been able to try a H&B and a Peter Gane so far.

The H&B is easily the worst piece of trumpet gear I ever touched. Intonation is all over the place, it feels stuffy, scratches the trumpet, and is a mess to put on the horn.

The Gane is actually very nice but to me does not sound very bucket-y. My YouTube video favorite currently is the Eazy bucket but I can’t find any European dealers, so there is that. Might order one directly at some time.

Be interesting to hear more practical experience feedback.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Zed

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a vote for the Eazy bucket - proper bucket sound and much easier to get on and off the bell without damage than the H & B.
JWG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Gane is actually very nice but to me does not sound very bucket-y.

I ordered a custom bucket mute from Mr. Gane for my large-bell Wild Thing, and I believe it's the best bucket mute out there.

How do you define the sound of a bucket mute such that Mr. Gane's mute does not sound like one?!

If you argue that the Humes and Berg bucket mute constitutes the acoustic standard for a bucket mute due to its common use in America, I would respectfully disagree.

I have tried four different buckets over the years: H&B, Jo-Ral, a leather Soulo-style, and the Peter Gane.

Mr. Gane's mute has the greatest utility due to the way that it easily attaches from inside the bell (like a straight or cup mute) rather than from the rim. It also has a warm sound that projects into the audience through its birch-wood base and not just from between the mute and the bell as the "stone-lined" H&B does.

In comparison, the other mutes which I have used either absorb too many overtones and fail to project (leather), project too many overtones and do not sound "bucket-y" (Jo-Ral), or sound more hollow and diffuse (H&B). However, if you want one of those effects, then use those mutes.
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 10:53 pm    Post subject: Newer H&B Bucket Reply with quote

FWIW, the newer H&B bucket mutes ("Velvet-Tone") have rubber-covered legs instead of a thin layer of felt. There is also a particular technique one can use to get it on and off fairly quickly, just not as quick as the EZ.

The bucket mutes that insert into the bell, like the Peter Gane or the Jo-Ral, will have a different sound than the bucket mutes that clip or slide onto the rim of the bell. I think the older design is the latter. I prefer to hear the sound of the older design over the newer. IMO, they sound different enough to be considered two different types of mutes.

But, there is the saying, different strokes for different folks. Bucket mutes do not seem to be called for nearly as much as cup mutes in ensemble playing, and do not seem to have one or more standards associated with them. Since the two designs or even different brands of the same design can sound so different, it may be even more important to have everybody on the same design and brand when using them in a whole section of trumpets or cornets.

H&B also makes a bucket mute with a shallower body than their Velvet-Tones. It looks like a felt-lined plunger mute with the 3 bucket mute legs. I think they call it the "Satellite" in their catalog. I tried it once, and I found it took the edge off the sound while also retaining a more open sound.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the EazyBucket. Right sound, easy to use. My first generation broke but I'm told newer ones are sturdier.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Leatherlip
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably catch a lot of comments, but years ago when I played my large bell Wild Thing, I just used a Crown Royal Bag. I also used it during Covid when the local community band required a bell mask.
ljnev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Peter Gane bucket mute as the best bucket mute that inserts into bell. Are these still available?

+1 for Eazy bucket mute as the best bucket mute that hangs on your bell. The leather is pretty cool, too.

Their sound is different.... I own one of each along with the traditional (horrible) H&B to match whomever I am playing next to.
rjimison

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:45 am    Post subject: bucket mute Reply with quote

In my use, the Soulo is a great sound and provides some adjustment as to how much the bell is closed. Plus it is easy on/off for quick changes.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I like the EazyBucket. Right sound, easy to use. My first generation broke but I'm told newer ones are sturdier.

They are.

And there is a texture to the mute material now that not only helps with grip but also looks really nice.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
cheiden wrote:

They are.

And there is a texture to the mute material now that not only helps with grip but also looks really nice.

Good to know. Thx!
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herb Alpert plays all his live shows using a Soulo Mute (that's the brand name: Soulo.) You can see the black mute clipped on Herb's horn in recent live concert pictures. It is so lightweight and has a nice velvety sound with two mounting positions for either a closed or more open sound enabled by the bell clips. I use one a lot.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Soulo plenty, it's very nice, but feel that it's not really the familiar bucket sound I'm accustomed to that is largely defined by the H&B and is really closely approximated by the EazyBucket. I do prefer the Soulo over the in-bell models I've tried.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys/gals think of the leather easy buckets? I'm replacing all my Jo-ral mutes and need a bucket mute.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chef8489 wrote:
What do you guys/gals think of the leather easy buckets? I'm replacing all my Jo-ral mutes and need a bucket mute.

I prefer the tone of the plastic eazy buckets.. the leather one has more covered tone, stuffier. It is important to get the right sized eazy bucket. (Bach's Commercial #1 bell is slightly bigger, needs a larger size)
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know, visually I prefer the leather one but there is no place to try them over here.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: