• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 6 Mouthpiece

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shifty wrote:
I have a Bach 6 and 6C as well as a Curry 6TFD, 6TC and 6TF. I can't find those combinations on any of the comparators but, visually, it looks to me like Curry standardized on the Bach straight 6 instead of the 6C. All my Curry pieces seem very flat, ala Bach 6.

I wonder if Mark would be willing to chime in?

I actually reached out to Mark at one time about this, and he told me that his 6 rim is based upon a Mount Vernon 6C. When I use the "unofficial" mouthpiece comparator, I see that the Bach MV 6C rim is in fact a little flatter than that of the modern 6C (and almost as flat as a modern straight 6).

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Aj

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
I actually reached out to Mark at one time about this, and he told me that his 6 rim is based upon a Mount Vernon 6C. When I use the "unofficial" mouthpiece comparator, I see that the Bach MV 6C rim is in fact a little flatter than that of the modern 6C (and almost as flat as a modern straight 6).

Strange... Mark told me very recently all his 6 rims are based on the MTV Bach 6 (No letter). I have 3 and they are way flatter than my modern Bach 6C, 6B and 6BM. His are even slightly flatter than my modern Bach 6 (No letter).

Sadly, I love my modern Bach 6C rim/cup so Curry's 6's are too flat for me. I now have 3 shiny paperweights. Still on the hunt for a 'better' 6C, if anyone has any tips.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aj wrote:
Still on the hunt for a 'better' 6C, if anyone has any tips.

Try the Marcinkiewicz 6C. On their website, it's listed near the bottom of the "Endorsee" trumpet mouthpiece page (even though it has no actual "endorsee"):

https://www.marcinkiewicz.com/mouthpieces/trumpet/endorsee/

I ordered mine directly from Marcinkiewicz, and they told me that it is their take on an "improved" Bach 6C. It definitely has a rim contour that is very similar to the modern Bach 6C.

Mouthpiece Express lists it under the Marcinkiewicz "Standard" category rather than "Endorsee" (make sure you don't order the 6/10-1/2C; that is a very different animal).

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Mark Curry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shifty wrote:
Halflip wrote:
Unlike Bach, where the same size mouthpiece will have different rim shapes for different depths, Curry has standardized on a single rim shape for each numbered size regardless of depth. For the size 6, Curry uses a version of the Bach Mount Vernon 6C rim shape (which agrees with Shifty's observation).

I have a Bach 6 and 6C as well as a Curry 6TFD, 6TC and 6TF. I can't find those combinations on any of the comparators but, visually, it looks to me like Curry standardized on the Bach straight 6 instead of the 6C. All my Curry pieces seem very flat, ala Bach 6.

I wonder if Mark would be willing to chime in?

Sorry for any confusion here-

The Curry 6 rim size is based on the Mount Vernon STRAIGHT 6 (no letter).

I felt the flatter contour and rim thickness better suited my various cups.

mc
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Curry wrote:

Thanks for weighing in, Mark.

Clearly I misunderstood something here; I stand corrected.

Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, I have a couple of Bach Mt. vernon 6 cornet mouthpieces. They are very different from the corp. 6. Cornet or trumpet. The Mt. vernon has a much deeper cup, a flat wide rim and a sharp bite. Does your rim include the sharp bite, or is it rounded like the more modern 6?
Mark Curry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irving wrote:
Mark, I have a couple of Bach Mt. vernon 6 cornet mouthpieces. They are very different from the corp. 6. Cornet or trumpet. The Mt. vernon has a much deeper cup, a flat wide rim and a sharp bite. Does your rim include the sharp bite, or is it rounded like the more modern 6?

Irving-

I went with the more rounded bite on my 6 rim. Sharp bites IMO are overrated.

I just thought it might be a good idea to have a flatter rim available in the 5,6, and 7 diameters, that's all.

As far as the differences in the corp. rims, the Mount Vernon rims, the large-letter rims, etc. et al I haven't seem as many variations as on the Bach 6 and 8 diameters. And historically there have been more than a few "half-sizes" also in those diameters. Crazy trying to keep up sometimes...

mc
Aj

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Curry wrote:

Sorry for any confusion here-

I felt the flatter contour and rim thickness better suited my various cups.

mc

Thanks for clarifying Mark. I respect your expertise and how much those Bach pieces change. I have 2 x modern 6Cs (one is large letters), both have different shanks and therefore different gaps. One works on my Yamaha, the other on my Bach so I suspect thats the gap as both rims and cups feel the same.

Your 6 rims were too flat so I returned to my 7M and 7Z. Rim is rounder but not as cutting as modern Bach 7C and whilst it feels a tiny bit small for me that 7M is freakishly amazing. In fact, it works better on lead stuff than the 7Z in my case.

I suppose another option is to order a custom threaded rim.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aj wrote:
Your 6 rims were too flat so I returned to my 7M and 7Z. Rim is rounder but not as cutting as modern Bach 7C and whilst it feels a tiny bit small for me that 7M is freakishly amazing. In fact, it works better on lead stuff than the 7Z in my case.

No interest in looking at the Marcinkiewicz 6C, hmm?

Aj

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
Aj wrote:

No interest in looking at the Marcinkiewicz 6C, hmm?

Yes, definitely. I looked them up straight away. Being 'Downunder' my mpc safari has so far cost in the $1000s. I'll need to move some equipment before buying one. I have posted my Curry 6's up for sale/swap. Do you have one going cheap?
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aj wrote:
Yes, definitely. . . . Do you have one going cheap?

Glad to hear my suggestion helped. Unfortunately, I'm not interested in selling mine at the moment. You could post a "looking for" ad in the mouthpiece section of the TH Marketplace, though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: