• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Opinions wanted on 1940's Holton model 45

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwgib
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 12:35 pm    Post subject: Opinions wanted on 1940's Holton model 45 Reply with quote

Anyone own a 40's Holton model 45? If so, how is it? Anyone know difference between 45 & 48? They were both "pro" horns, right?
Holton Military 48('51)
Holton 45 ('47)
Pan American 66B('31)
King Liberty('25,'29,'34 Silvertone)
Martin Imperial('64)
Tonk Sterling('19)
H.B.Jay Columbia('19)
jlambmusic

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those vintage Holtons are definitely pro model horns, both feature the reversed leadpipe design (by Schilke) and they're quite popular with semi professional and professional players because they're relatively cheaper compared to modern pro horns and if you can find them in good condition, they're great players. They play with a warm sound that can brighten easily with a shallower mouthpiece.

As far as I know, the differences between the model 45 and model 48 is that the latter has slightly larger leadpipe and bell specs. The 48 can feel more "open than the 45", the 45 can have a bit more resistance than the 48 which is a subtle difference but some players prefer that too.

I've probably owned and played 4 of these horns in my time.

Last edited by jlambmusic on Wed May 31, 2023 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
dwgib
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlambmusic wrote:
Those vintage Holtons are definitely pro model horns, both feature the reversed leadpipe design (by Schilke) and they're quit popular with semi professional and professional players because they're relatively cheaper compared to modern pro horns and if you can find them in good condition, they're great players. They play with a warm sound that can brighten easily with a shallower mouthpiece.

As far as I know, the differences between the model 45 and model 48 is that the latter has slightly larger leadpipe and bell specs. The 48 can feel more "open than the 45", the 45 can have a bit more resistance than the 48 which is a subtle difference but some players prefer that too.

I've probably owned and played 4 of these horns in my time.

Thanks, nice review, I'm looking forward to getting mine. I thought it should play well, the ML bore and round tuning slide seemed to indicate it should play fairly open. I found that the bell * leadpipe are different between the 45 & 48 from https://trumpet-history.com/Holton%20Models.pdf. What I thought would add more resistance is the tuning slide difference between the standard(single radius) an deluxe(dual radius) models, so I wasn't sure which was better design. Anyway, seems they went with the leadpipe type from the 45 for most of their later horns, so must've either been better or more popular I would assume. I got mine fairly cheap,$110 including shipping, it looks to have no damage, but is not a looker as the whole horn looks to be bare brass or lacquer is all dark, but I always concern more with damage than finish. I'll add more when I get it, just shipped today.
Holton Military 48('51)
Holton 45 ('47)
Pan American 66B('31)
Martin Imperial('64)
Tonk Sterling('19)
H.B.Jay Columbia('19)
dwgib
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the 45 today, you are right, it plays and sound very nice, very warm mellow tone. I really like it, one of my favs now. Had a tiny bit of damage in shipping, the mount post for the 3rd slide stop rod came off, Seems UPS must've jarred it hard enough in the right direction that the 3rd slide came out hard enough to pull it off because it was fully extended in the case. Not a big deal, I'll solder back on later. Needs finishing anyway, looks as if someone made a half assed attempt to remove the lacquer or it got sprayed with something that did. Really strange, because the valve casing looks as if it was sprayed with whatever remover when one of those valve casing protectors was on, because the finish is fine on it and the inner parts of all the tubes and a circular 1/2" strip around the 3rd slide tube. It's like that all the way to just before end of the bell, then that are is like spattered, as well as the inside of the bell.
Anyway, doesn't affect the sound, and Only worries me that the engraving on the bell is light and may disappear if I recoat it. Funny, because engraving on valve casing is pristine. Keeps crossing my mind that maybe it was used on a boat in salt water for a long time. Not sure if that would do that, but might account for it and worn bell engraving from being wiped off a lot. Can't complain for under $100 with original case. Valves are in great shape too.
Holton Military 48('51)
Holton 45 ('47)
Pan American 66B('31)
Martin Imperial('64)
Tonk Sterling('19)
H.B.Jay Columbia('19)
jlambmusic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwgib wrote:
Got the 45 today, you are right, it plays and sound very nice, very warm mellow tone. I really like it, one of my favs now. Had a tiny bit of damage in shipping, the mount post for the 3rd slide stop rod came off, Seems UPS must've jarred it hard enough in the right direction that the 3rd slide came out hard enough to pull it off because it was fully extended in the case. Not a big deal, I'll solder back on later. Needs finishing anyway, looks as if someone made a half assed attempt to remove the lacquer or it got sprayed with something that did. Really strange, because the valve casing looks as if it was sprayed with whatever remover when one of those valve casing protectors was on, because the finish is fine on it and the inner parts of all the tubes and a circular 1/2" strip around the 3rd slide tube. It's like that all the way to just before end of the bell, then that are is like spattered, as well as the inside of the bell.
Anyway, doesn't affect the sound, and Only worries me that the engraving on the bell is light and may disappear if I recoat it. Funny, because engraving on valve casing is pristine. Keeps crossing my mind that maybe it was used on a boat in salt water for a long time. Not sure if that would do that, but might account for it and worn bell engraving from being wiped off a lot. Can't complain for under $100 with original case. Valves are in great shape too.

Sad to hear of the damages during shipping, you can always ask a seller to pack the horn up safely but it is ultimately on them whether they want to take packing seriously or not.

I'm glad you like how the horn plays, I liked the 48 I owned back in the day and I only bought it for about $65 at a community yard sale.
dwgib
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm glad you like how the horn plays, I liked the 48 I owned back in the day and I only bought it for about $65 at a community yard sale.

Wow, that was a steal. Damage is small, I'm just glad it didn't bend something else because it must've been quite a jar to do it. Seller had actually packed it fairly well. Even I wouldn't have foreseen the possibility of the way it happened. Not like one other seller that shipped my 1922 Conn in the original case(that had seen better days and had a broken latch, with just packing tape around the case and a label taped on. 1920's plastic handle just flopping around. Just glad it went through the post office and thankfully carriers must've taken care. Can't see any other way it stayed intact.
Holton Military 48('51)
Holton 45 ('47)
Pan American 66B('31)
Martin Imperial('64)
Tonk Sterling('19)
H.B.Jay Columbia('19)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: