• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Can't play above the staff

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cliffardo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:34 am    Post subject: Can't play above the staff Reply with quote

I keep seeing 'I can only hit high C and not double F' and I'm sitting here thinking, is this the right forum for me? I can't even hit a G on the top of the staff, not when I was in high school and certainly not now after coming back.

Can I have a straight forward tip on how to develop range without killing myself? I have tried the Charlie Porter embouchure, I have watched Clark Terry explain how he played. I look at trumpet players playing above the staff without going red in the face. I have been practicing lip and mouthpiece buzzing. BUT the moment I get the trumpet to my face, it all falls apart.

I don't find people saying 'just blow harder' to be very helpful, because that's what two teachers told me in high school and in university and it got me absolutely nowhere.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, blowing harder will generate the opposite of what you want. Playing higher (for me) requires less air but a good control over the air flow, air support, and tongue position (took me only about 30 years to figure that one out).

In general I would advise to find a teacher and explain the problem to him/her.

I am no high note player either. In the practice room or during warm up I can play up to ca. G above high C, on stage I can use about high D or E, on long gigs or when I am stressed I will top out at high C.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
PC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that blowing harder usually does not work in the sense that resonance is what creates the sound in the trumpet and blowing harder does not guarantee that the wished frequency will be selected. Try playing softer at first, until the new notes you conquer are responding well, then it is easy to add some dynamics as you get better at hitting the notes.

There are several ways to think about playing higher, without putting more effort or at least without constricting the throat:
- Bringing the lips closer together horizontally (reducing the vibrating aperture) without pinching, such that the lips are soft in the middle
- Raising the tongue (mostly the back part of it) without closing the teeth
- Increasing pressure but not necessary flow (compression), by pushing with the belly
- Pressing top lip on bottom lip, together with air compression to maintain buzz.

Not every method works for everyone, and the reality is probably a combination of pressure, oral cavity shape and direct or indirect change in embouchure shape and tension. One thing is sure, most of us with difficulty in ascending, apply too much change and actually overshoot the target, losing resonance and thus sound or hitting an increased resistance to blow. Overtone series intervals are large at the bottom of the trumpet range and get smaller and smaller. So the effort needed to jump from one overtone to the next should also get smaller for higher frequency.

For my case, I was doing too many changes simultaneously and hitting therefore the famous brick wall. I improved by only changing one parameter at a time: for example, changing lip shape without blowing harder, thinking of remaining on the same note, or raising the tongue without changing anything else (consciously, other changes probably happen without my noticing it).

I would recommend that you look at the videos of Greg Spence for example, he has very good pedagogical approach.

Best,
Pierre
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you rely on high mouthpiece rim pressure (or overly tight lips) for playing higher, you are likely preventing your lips from being able to vibrate, regardless of how hard you attempt to blow.

The 'trick' is to learn how to adjust the lip opening that will produce the pitch, AND have the aperture flexible enough to vibrate with doable air flow.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only share what worked for me. If it helps, great. If not, sorry.

* Learning that high notes do not come from clamping down strongly to increase range. (BE Lip-clamp exercise, notwithstanding)
* While the supporting-embouchure muscles should be firm, the actual aperture should be soft and freely moving and, to an extent, passive.
* Brief leadpipe buzzing, no free buzzing.
* i used The Balanced Embouchure (BE) concept of how to use the embouchure.
* Maggio exercises (not his embouchure).

n.b. - Results were a playable Double High C and a consistent, performable E above High C. That's about all the range I need, so stopped there.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
the blowhard

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My "nickname" is The Blowhard but don't do that. In fact, just the oppisite. What worked for me is playing scales, both up and down. Start with middle C or wherever you are comfortable. Just do an 8 note scale. When you can do that scale well, move up 1 note and do that scale. Play the notes at a tempo that is comfortable for you, then when you get that scale almost mastered, do it in slow tones, both up and down. Also, play each scale GENTLY and as quietly as you can. My chops needed the muscle memory training in order to learn how to approach those higher notes. I too thought I would never see High C.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will add some basic advice to practice with a mirror (I guess in the 21st Century, you could video yourself) and watch critically to see if your chops (actually your diaphragm, neck, facial muscles, etc.) are doing what you think they are. Even your posture can be helpful.

Just a thought. I forget where I got the advice, but I have done it for 60 or more years. Haven't broken any mirrors yet!
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blowhard is definitely on the right track - don't push things too hard!

To some extent, extending range is similar to what new runners are told to do when they are ready to add mileage, which is to very gradually expand time on your feet.

Patience is key and experimentation is critical. I only have a solid E above high C and for that and the D I find I had to modify the position of my lower lip to make those consistent (after 3-4 years of trying things). For me rolling it in is what gives me the consistent notes. It may be different for you.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, mirror and posture is very important. When we put in a new piece of furniture I deliberately put in a „practice mirror“. Most useful piece of glass ever

When looking at your posture, everything is important but very person-dependent: personally I tend to have my feet quite far apart and always need to tell myself to not stand like a western movie hero just about to pull his Colts.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the blowhard wrote:
Start with middle C or wherever you are comfortable. Just do an 8 note scale. When you can do that scale well, move up 1 note and do that scale. Play the notes at a tempo that is comfortable for you, then when you get that scale almost mastered, do it in slow tones, both up and down. Also, play each scale GENTLY and as quietly as you can.

Blowhard’s advice is excellent. I would add that it’s important to keep your sessions very short - three or four minutes - with regular brief rests. Try to fit as many of these mini sessions as you can into your day. You’ll start to get results very soon.

To keep things interesting (and more fun), mix some tune playing into your schedule but be sure to play softly with regular resting. Playing eight bars and resting eight is a good pattern.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to get an hour lesson online with one of the trumpet embouchure experts (read around here).

I didn't have a great range in high school--started to get iffy at the A above the staff. I think honestly just getting up to a consistent high C would let you play 99.9% of the music you need.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can't even hit a G on the top of the staff, not when I was in high school and certainly not now after coming back.

Find a good teacher. Work with him/her to figure out what is going on and how to resolve it, which will likely take time and patience. Your teacher can also help you put together a sensible practice routine -- what to practice and how to do so -- to meet your goals. Good luck!
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the blowhard wrote:
Start with middle C or wherever you are comfortable. Just do an 8 note scale. When you can do that scale well, move up 1 note and do that scale. Play the notes at a tempo that is comfortable for you, then when you get that scale almost mastered, do it in slow tones, both up and down. Also, play each scale GENTLY and as quietly as you can. My chops needed the muscle memory training in order to learn how to approach those higher notes. I too thought I would never see High C.

Clarke technical studies exercise 1 and 2 are good for this.

As my signature states I am a comeback player with no street cred. My experience been that there is no one silver bullet exercise or technique. For me it was learning how to play some exercises correctly and becoming more efficient as a player.

If you PM me your email I could send you some things that you could try.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
cliffardo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC wrote:
I agree that blowing harder usually does not work in the sense that resonance is what creates the sound in the trumpet and blowing harder does not guarantee that the wished frequency will be selected. Try playing softer at first, until the new notes you conquer are responding well, then it is easy to add some dynamics as you get better at hitting the notes.

There are several ways to think about playing higher, without putting more effort or at least without constricting the throat:
- Bringing the lips closer together horizontally (reducing the vibrating aperture) without pinching, such that the lips are soft in the middle
- Raising the tongue (mostly the back part of it) without closing the teeth
- Increasing pressure but not necessary flow (compression), by pushing with the belly
- Pressing top lip on bottom lip, together with air compression to maintain buzz.

Not every method works for everyone, and the reality is probably a combination of pressure, oral cavity shape and direct or indirect change in embouchure shape and tension. One thing is sure, most of us with difficulty in ascending, apply too much change and actually overshoot the target, losing resonance and thus sound or hitting an increased resistance to blow. Overtone series intervals are large at the bottom of the trumpet range and get smaller and smaller. So the effort needed to jump from one overtone to the next should also get smaller for higher frequency.

For my case, I was doing too many changes simultaneously and hitting therefore the famous brick wall. I improved by only changing one parameter at a time: for example, changing lip shape without blowing harder, thinking of remaining on the same note, or raising the tongue without changing anything else (consciously, other changes probably happen without my noticing it).

I would recommend that you look at the videos of Greg Spence for example, he has very good pedagogical approach.

Best,
Pierre

Thank you! I think I am trying too many things at once like a man in a desperate hurry. I am taking to heard the idea of slowing down and getting one note at a time softer to really get a feel for it and then going from there.
cliffardo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for the thoughtful and polite replies! I have taken away several things, mainly:

1) Find a good teacher;

2) Don't over-blow or squeeze out the notes; keep your lips free to vibrate;

3) Go slowly.

Thank you!
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have been practicing lip and mouthpiece buzzing.

Don't do that. That is not a good approach. All range problems are embouchure control and skill problems. A major issue is excessive effort for low tones. Buzzing encourages just that.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar to what Jay said - your lips need to be able to move inside the mouthpiece. I figured this out in a semester of studying tuba. If you have a chance to borrow a euphonium or even a junky trombone for a month it might help you get the correct feeling of your lips making small "Mmm" movements inside the mouthpiece. The large diameter mouthpiece simply will not let you muscle your way higher.

Just blowing louder does not work.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cliffardo wrote:
... the idea of slowing down and getting one note at a time softer to really get a feel for it and then going from there.

-----------------------
Yes, each note has its own 'feel' and 'pronunciation' - slow playing allows you to acquire the feeling of each note.

I also find it very useful to read the notes even when playing simple slow playing.
I think that helps develop the automatic habit of:
SEE the written note
USE correct fingering
ADJUST embouchure to proper feel
and this ALL happens simultaneously as a result of good practicing.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
cliffardo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all. I appreciate all the responses! I am posting a similar message to all my current posts because they were all related.

Basically: I saw I was maintaining an almost distended distance between my lower and upper teeth (like an inch), which is definitely farm from the relaxed starting point (or the 1/4" Stevens-Costello recommends). I was otherwise using my lips as prescribed, but my lips were so stretched out I don't think I was gonna get anywhere.

Of course it's gonna take time to unlearn the huge gap I've been using (and wonder why my university teacher didn't point it out before they said I should play euphonium, which amounted to a kind of musical death sentence, as far as I am concerned), but now the G on the staff is not the issue it once was.
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that phrase "a kind of musical death sentence" but a lot of euphonium players would take issue with it.

If you're actually interested in fixing things and making playing easy, send me a PM to set up a Skype lesson.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: