• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What mouthpiece is good for marching band?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trentonkozel03

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:46 am    Post subject: What mouthpiece is good for marching band? Reply with quote

I am playing in marching band in the fall and wanted a mouthpiece recommendation for good tone.
APersonNamedJD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby Shew Lead is a pretty good one
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Don't use an expensive pro-level horn - marching band and their practice sessions can be somewhat 'rough' and accident prone. If you have a student level horn, use it. Ask band director if the band has a horn you could use for the marching season.

2) Similar with mouthpieces, things get lost & dropped (onto concrete).

3) Don't be overly concerned with tone - the main goal is to play the right note at the right time.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
1) Don't use an expensive pro-level horn - marching band and their practice sessions can be somewhat 'rough' and accident prone. If you have a student level horn, use it. Ask band director if the band has a horn you could use for the marching season.

3) Don't be overly concerned with tone - the main goal is to play the right note at the right time.

I disagree with worrying about tone. Good marching bands are worried about tone. Bad marching bands sound bad, over blow and have horrible tone.

Just because you are marching doesn't mean musicianship goes out the window.

If you take care of your equipment and realize it is important, things don't get dropped or lost. Again it's the problem people think it's less important because it's marching band or that it becomes acceptable that people don't take car. If you don't let it be acceptable or make it just as important as symphonic band or concert band and instill the importance of your instrument, then the accidents don't happen, mouthpieces don't get lost. Every marching band I have played in or been involved with after there has been no accidents and they have been huge 3-400+ bands.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also a bit lukewarm about the "don't worry about tone" idea. Giving the benefit of the doubt, and assuming that's meant to indicate that you don't necessarily need an expensive instrument for marching, I could get behind that idea.

However, absolutely do aim to the best possible tone on whatever instrument ends up in your hands. Playing outside is unforgiving in ways that playing indoors isn't, and it's easy for bad habits to creep in. Tone is one of the best gauges we have for whether or not the way we're playing is fundamentally healthy. Absolutely do try for an easy, resonant, clear tone with good pitch and articulation.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve A wrote:
I'm also a bit lukewarm about the "don't worry about tone" idea. Giving the benefit of the doubt, and assuming that's meant to indicate that you don't necessarily need an expensive instrument for marching, I could get behind that idea.

However, absolutely do aim to the best possible tone on whatever instrument ends up in your hands. Playing outside is unforgiving in ways that playing indoors isn't, and it's easy for bad habits to creep in. Tone is one of the best gauges we have for whether or not the way we're playing is fundamentally healthy. Absolutely do try for an easy, resonant, clear tone with good pitch and articulation.

I can agree for not using your strad for practices, but if yiu want to use it for a competition or for a game, that might be acceptable. As far as the tone part. You need to aim to be the best musician you can be on whatever horn you are on. Tone is important even in marching band.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Well, I feel like I should interject this, since it evidently takes a different slant on it, which seems to be a go-to comment om this Forum.

I was in the marching bands in high school, college and a career as a military bandsman and never used anything other than my primary horn. And I was never aware of any of my colleagues doing otherwise.

I read about this suggestion that other players are careless and sooner or later they will come crashing into you and this is not my experience.

I've seen a bus back over a guy's horn or someone driving from the bandroom to the gig with his horn on top of his car, but never careless damage done.

I have seen more damage in bandrooms or rehearsals from horns falling off chairs than I have seen in marching band to be truthfully. Good reason to have a trumpet stand or your case handy for your horn to go in.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to undermine anyone's reaction tp my post, but I noticed that this thread is about mouthpieces not horns; so I eliminated my above comment. My bad.

Along those lines, if you are going to be playing in cold weather, you might consider, as a back-up, a plastic, Delrin or other synthetic mouthpiece like a Kelly, Faxx. Austin Custom Brass, or the like.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What mouthpiece is good for marching band? Reply with quote

trentonkozel03 wrote:
I am playing in marching band in the fall and wanted a mouthpiece recommendation for good tone.

Use whatever you use in concert band or symphonic band us fine as you are not in a stage where yiu really need to switch mouthpieces to play different music it will all be in roughly the same range and skill level in High School.
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach 3C. Have fun!!
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach 3c or a Marcinkiewicz 300 series for a bit more cup variances. If you like a smaller rim diameter than the 3c but with a full tone use stock Schilke 11 or 12.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very impressed by all the people who can achieve a beautiful tone while stepping in potholes, marching smoothly on grass and choreographing your body motions. I uaually strove for good dynamics,a consistent volume and not cracking notes.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
dschwab
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What mouthpiece is good for marching band? Reply with quote

trentonkozel03 wrote:

This is like asking what size shoe should I wear for marching band.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll be that guy...

Go ask your teacher!
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any middle of the road mouthpiece should be fine.
chase1973
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what MPC should you use? Well, what are you currently using? What do you like or do not like about it? Do you like the rim? The rim contour? Do you get a good sound? What problems, if any, do you have with your current MPC?

A good MPC is the one that works for YOU as an individual. OFC, there are a dozens of combinations to try. "Try" to Use good judgement above all else. If it feels good and you sound good and you're getting the desired results, that's your piece. Sorry, I NEVER tell anybody what brand or piece to play...that's an individual choice...the only thing I will say is that the constant searching for utopia in a MPC is futile in the end.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more air you can push through your mouthpiece and trumpet the better. Why? Because on the street or on the field, it is in large part about loud playing. So you need to pump more air without losing the sound quality. Loud and nice sounding beats loud and bad sounding every time.

Also, high overtones carry better than low overtones. So you want a bright set up too.

All the other stuff is just fluff for your brain. Ignore it.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you live in a colder part of the country, a Kelly mouthpiece could be a good investment.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:

I know there are some sentiments in this post that are pushing back against this post, but speaking as a person who has taught band in the age group that does marching, this is actually accurate.

I have a tendency to think that "marching doesn't really matter" - which seems to be an unpopular opinion in this thread. Fine.

But, no one sounds great in a football field or the street. It's a poor acoustic environment, it just is. It doesn't mean you shouldn't care, but really, playing the note at the right time counts for a lot.

And also, bad stuff happens to instruments in marching. There are fields, there are other people marching around, accidents happen. It's great to say "to take care of your instrument" but, there are a lot of other factors at play.
Do as you will, but there have been a lot of instruments that come in to the repair shop with damage from marching.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: