• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Can someone self diagnose their type?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:10 pm    Post subject: Can someone self diagnose their type? Reply with quote

Been intrigued by some other threads where Reinhardt teachings came up. I went back my Reinhardt encyclopedia and am overwhelmed with the info and quite frankly am at a loss trying to understand these different types.

Aside from paying for a lesson, is there a way to determine one's type?
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just pay for the lesson. I did one and it confirmed me in what I am and helped me appreciate and come to peace with the good and bad of my playing style. I think it's helped me unlock some notes above the staff and also to be more efficient in practice.

It was curious to me that one of the main teachers in this system (and the one who had helped me) said recently that he thinks he'd been mistyped for most of his career. I guess some people can also play on different types or change types if their current setup limits what they want to do.
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people mistype themselves, in my experience.
Even Reinhardt himself mistyped some players. It really takes a lot of experience to see the right clues and not be misled by the wrong ones.
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've *bought in* to a lot of systems, sought out instructors (none Reinhardt), and have taken years of lessons, including many hours of accredited, on my college transcript, 'private trumpet lessons'.

No one has ever really helped me with my embouchure, for the most part, (I will paraphrase and be general in nature...NOT specific) working with many instructors, I've been left with; 'just keep putting in the hours of practice and the range will come'. That has not happened. I'm pretty well stuck with a somewhat useable high C. I've put in thousands of hours of practice and more than a few mp & horn safaris. ...please read the part about WITH instructors/teachers/etc., including many active college teachers/professors.

Well, I'm going to step up to the plate and have a lesson, next week, with a notable Reinhardt instructor. I'm ready to drink the Kool-Aid and see what happens. I'm fairly hopeful this is a good step.

BTW: I'm going to read the 35 Points again this weekend.
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is to skip the "35 points," it will just add to the confusion and you'll have no idea what most of them even mean. I'm all about making it EASY to understand.
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Elliott wrote:
My advice is to skip the "35 points," it will just add to the confusion and you'll have no idea what most of them even mean. I'm all about making it EASY to understand.

Got it! Thanks
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read enough Reinhardt to know that I wouldn't dare try to self-diagnose. I would only study with a Reinhardt teacher and a very good one, at that.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would Reinhardt object to this 'simplified view' ?

1) Figure out what 'embouchure method' gives (or would give) you the best possible results.
2) Analyze that 'best results' method to determine what should really be happening.
3) Compare the 'what should be happening' to the Reinhardt types to find a match.

Of course #1 is the hard part, and that's where the guidance of a 'good teacher' is valuable. A 'good teacher' ought to know 'what should be happening' and be able to guide a student to 'make it happen'.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
juanc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a lesson with Chris LaBarbera, in a matter of minutes he got my type (IIIA) and pointed out all the specifics of what I really needed to improve. Right after the lesson I played the loudest high A ever (thankfully I had video to prove it). I highly recommend you take a lesson with him!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: