• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Off-Center Buzz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cliffardo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:19 am    Post subject: Off-Center Buzz Reply with quote

I know buzzing is a contentious topic, though greats such as Clark Terry and Wynton Marsalis both state that without buzzing there is no playing trumpet.

When I free-buzz, I feel that the buzz happens in two places on either side of the centre of my lips. When I apply the trumpet to my mouth, there is no sound other than air at this setting.

At present I can only play a D in the staff with regularity at best and then maybe an E. I am a returning player, but when I last played seriously, I only could go to a G on the top of the staff, so I am really looking for long term range solutions.

And please, do not tell me to play trombone or low brass. That's what a teacher said 20 years ago, but I have noticed plenty of people with my size lips that can play trumpet.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about what happens NOW during free buzzing - it is mostly a 'muscle exercise' to develop strength and control, NOT to replicate actual playing. What you do need now is to learn good basic technique, and then later improve your ability to do the technique and gain strength and control.
Don't 'get good' at doing it the wrong way!

Watch this video (it is short and demonstrates good basic use of mouthpiece and blowing) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxTb2gEaTU4

If you are interested in reading about 'what the embouchure should be doing', my article is here -
http://users.hancock.net/jkosta/Embouchure_Basic_Concepts.htm
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the JayKosta mentioned, don't worry about free buzzing. If you're really keen on getting under the hood, get a visualizer which at least isolates the buzzing area as a mouthpiece would. https://www.pickettblackburn.com/accessories-c-105/asper-trumpet-mouthpiece-visualizer-p-2383.html

Unsolicited advice:
This post, combined with your post about "technique" makes me think you're going for the pure analytical approach to playing. That's fine, but it practically necessitates the use of a teacher for navigation. Regardless of your approach, there should be SOME "play and see how it goes" self-discovery parts of your beginning moments playing. Get a few lessons now, with a great teacher, to send you down the right path. It's clear you have struggled in the past and a great teacher can sometimes save years of frustration
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a friend in h.s. and college who was probably one of the state's top five players and he played off to one side. It worked and playing off-center allowed an embouchure that was centered with his buzz.

FWIW, he became a player in he USAF Academy Band which was a Premier band at that time.

The only caveat if you try it, is not to give up too soon. Your embouchure muscles will, at first, not be balanced for this off-center embouchure, so give it time to adjust.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Off-Center Buzz Reply with quote

cliffardo wrote:

When I free-buzz, I feel that the buzz happens in two places on either side of the centre of my lips. When I apply the trumpet to my mouth, there is no sound other than air at this setting.

At present I can only play a D in the staff with regularity at best and then maybe an E. I am a returning player, but when I last played seriously, I only could go to a G on the top of the staff, so I am really looking for long term range solutions.

And please, do not tell me to play trombone or low brass. That's what a teacher said 20 years ago, but I have noticed plenty of people with my size lips that can play trumpet.

One of the reasons I regard free-buzzing as a pointless waste of time - it's *never* going to engage or work your lips and embouchure the same way actually playing does - it can't. Anyone who says they buzz the same way they play is incorrect.

The long-term range solution is to find the embouchure mechanics that work for you. Meet the requirements to play a given note with a solid sound and it'll come out every time you meet those requirements.

It may be that you don't have the ideal lips to play a high brass instrument but unless you've got some malformation you haven't disclosed it's almost guaranteed you can improve your range and sound from what you have now - you have to find the way - the adjustment might be subtle.

I'm someone who was told I had the wrong lips for trumpet and struggled with range - well, I still struggle it's just that my sticking point is quite a bit higher than it used to be - lol.

I *don't* have the ideal lips but I definitely made progress from where I was. If someone had told me I'd ever be able to knock the stew out of F and G or be able to regularly touch on double C I'd have thought they were nuts.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: